New Macbook Pro for Gaming

Listen, I already know what you guys are going to say, and I don't really want to hear it. I want this Macbook Pro. My question is about which model to select. This of course will not solely be for gaming, but it will be basically my primary (PC) gaming machine until I can get a Wintel. I will also be using it for school and upcoming engineering classes. I'm assuming I'll have to bootcamp it eventually, but I know nothing about that. Price is of course a consideration, and my goal is to play CS:GO on medium settings 1080p and get at least 150 consistent FPS. Is this even possible on the 15 with the Radeon? If its possible on both would it be worth it to get the 15 or will the 13 work ok? Sorry for that rude intro but I don't want that to be a factor in this discussion. Thank you for any possible answers, advice, opinions. 

It's pointless to play cs:go on anything other than low, looks the same, takes away fps.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

It's pointless to play cs:go on anything other than low, looks the same, takes away fps.

ok still, any thoughts?

Honestly, OSX will hold you back more than the hardware, as it is not optimized for gaming. Consider dual booting windows 10 and OSX.

Just now, clark1998 said:

ok still, any thoughts?

no way it runs at 150fps 1080p on integrated graphics.

it might on the radeon, but I don't know how powerful that gpu is because it basically doesn't exist yet.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

no way it runs at 150fps 1080p on integrated graphics.

it might on the radeon, but I don't know how powerful that gpu is because it basically doesn't exist yet.

fair, I appreciate your response!

1 minute ago, clark1998 said:

fair, I appreciate your response!

it runs really well on the older one, so it should run fine on the new one since they promised more performance.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Honestly, OSX will hold you back more than the hardware, as it is not optimized for gaming. Consider dual booting windows 10 and OSX.

So you think I might be ok on the 13 with Iris 550 but bootcamped? has 8gb ram and 6th gen core i5 2.9 ghz

Wait for benchmarks. But since it is not marketed that much for gaming I wouldn't think it will be able to play games well

Just now, clark1998 said:

So you think I might be ok on the 13 with Iris 550 but bootcamped? has 8gb ram and 6th gen core i5 2.9 ghz

It's not going to be 150 fps at 1080, but close yea http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Graphics-550.149937.0.html

Spoiler

Considering Apple went with the "thinner and lighter" trope AGAIN, expect these laptops to get toasty under load. Chances are the ones with dGPU will be throttling like crazy.

That being said, considering you want one of these laptops and nothing else: Nope, you won't get 1080p 150 FPS regardless of config. The best GPU of the lineup has 2GB of memory. It doesn't tell the whole story but it obviously means it is NOT a high end GPU, more like a low midrange GPU. You should get 60 FPS without any problem (except temps lol) but 150? Nope.

Just now, SCGazelle said:

Wait for benchmarks. But since it is not marketed that much for gaming I wouldn't think it will be able to play games well

I unfortunately can't wait very long as my 2012 MBP is on its last legs :/

32 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Yes you still want to get an apple?

Dude... Did you not read the first couple sentences? I want this computer, a Macbook Pro. What I'm asking is which model to get

35 minutes ago, clark1998 said:

Dude... Did you not read the first couple sentences? I want this computer, a Macbook Pro. What I'm asking is which model to get

k. I have a 2012 MBP first gen retina that I use professionally. Let me tell you right now Bootcamp is absolute fucking trash for MBP with a dGPU. Apple doesn't optimize drivers for bootcamp so the dGPU is ALWAYS running in Windows. Makes the computer have shit battery life, hot, and run like shit. 

If you're going to get a MBP I always advise you drop more money on it. It's not upgradable so you might as well just pay more upfront. I paid like 3k for mine. Last till now. I'm probably gonna drop 3k or so again and use it for another 5 years. Or I just might not get one, cause my 2012 is still rocking. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

3 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

k. I have a 2012 MBP first gen retina that I use professionally. Let me tell you right now Bootcamp is absolute fucking trash for MBP with a dGPU. Apple doesn't optimize drivers for bootcamp so the dGPU is ALWAYS running in Windows. Makes the computer have shit battery life, hot, and run like shit. 

If you're going to get a MBP I always advise you drop more money on it. It's not upgradable so you might as well just pay more upfront. I paid like 3k for mine. Last till now. I'm probably gonna drop 3k or so again and use it for another 5 years. Or I just might not get one, cause my 2012 is still rocking. 

what are you using at MBP for?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

what are you using at MBP for?

OH LOL THE REASON IS 100% BULLSHIT. It's for perception. I walk into a marketing firm with a Zbook and I'll get looked down on cause all the graphics design guys use Macs. I literally use it to pretend I'm a different user. And also to edit the occasional video on FCP. That's it. It's just in my bag incase I need a spare laptop or I need to pretend I'm someone else LOLOLOL. 

Laptop Main

2 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

OH LOL THE REASON IS 100% BULLSHIT. It's for perception. I walk into a marketing firm with a Zbook and I'll get looked down on cause all the graphics design guys use Macs. I literally use it to pretend I'm a different user. And also to edit the occasional video on FCP. That's it. It's just in my bag incase I need a spare laptop or I need to pretend I'm someone else LOLOLOL. 

oh god lol. Rarely had a person look weird at my laptop, they already know whats up. I am not that nice to my laptop. Carrying it by the screen, throw it around a bit when I put it down.

If a person comments on my laptop, then I just show them all the things I can do with it, without is breaking and then they shut up. 

Come on dude 3k on a show off PC, that is maybe a bit extreme.. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Come on dude 3k on a show off PC, that is maybe a bit extreme.. 

Firm subsidized. Or else I would of just gotten the cheapest one. It's served me quite well. It's more of an investment than buying a computer. Mine runs better than most though. Always clean. Repasted. Custom fan curves. A few terminal edits. 

Laptop Main

1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

Firm subsidized. Or else I would of just gotten the cheapest one. It's served me quite well. It's more of an investment than buying a computer. Mine runs better than most though. Always clean. Repasted. Custom fan curves. A few terminal edits. 

If I ever got a macbook then I would repaste it after the warranty is out, but from day one I would make a custom fan curve.

Heck I might mod it to get some more airflow xD 

If you want to game you are going to have to get the 15" model with the Radion graphics. Though the drivers for the MBP dGPUs in windows is awful.

16 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

If you want to game you are going to have to get the 15" model with the Radion graphics. Though the drivers for the MBP dGPUs in windows is awful.

ok well the engineering programs which are easier to get on Windows are more important

49 minutes ago, clark1998 said:

ok well the engineering programs which are easier to get on Windows are more important

Just be warned that using a Mac for Engineering work is a complete nightmare. You will be running windows 100% of the time and the drivers that apple provides for windows are awful. You will see dramatically reduced battery life and performance compared to a similar windows machine such as the XPS 15. On these new machines you have to tap to click on the trackpad (the drivers for windows do not support the click function), you will have no gestures, you will lose the functionality of the touch bar (whatever good that idea does), if you buy one with a dGPU (which you probably want for CAD work) you will be stuck using the dGPU all the time which will cut your battery life in half (which will already be reduced because the battery management drivers for macs in windows are awful), oh and you will probably have some issues with the thunderbolt drivers which is a big problem when those are your only ports. If you are going to be doing engineering work just get a Windows machine, your life will be 1000x better (trust me, I'm an electrical engineer and know people who try to use Macs. It's always a disaster and they usually end up replacing it with a windows machine). A Mac running windows is far inferior to an actual windows machine.

1 hour ago, Squirrel724 said:

A Mac running windows is far inferior to an actual windows machine.

Thank god someone understands this. Kudos to you sir. 

tl;dr if you're in engineering you're basically waste if you're trying to get your Mac to do things. 

Laptop Main

32 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Thank god someone understands this. Kudos to you sir. 

tl;dr if you're in engineering you're basically waste if you're trying to get your Mac to do things. 

wait is that a hard thing to understand?