2 SSDs dead in 2 days

OrangeJuiced

In the past 2 days 2 of my 250GB Samsung 850 evo SSDs have died. Yesterday it was my boot drive, today one of my storage drives. Both died after first boot in the morning. I'm suspecting that something might be breaking them (possibly the PSU?).

I tried all of the drives in another PC. Both the dead SSDs also didn't show up in the BIOS there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PC Specs:

Corsair CX750M

Intel i5 4670k

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

16GB DDR3

MSI GTX 1080
WD Blue 1TB HDD

Samsung 830 128GB

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (Died)

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (Brand new; bought and installed it yesterday as a replacement of the first SSD that died)

4 minutes ago, OrangeJuiced said:

In the past 2 days 2 of my 250GB Samsung 850 evo SSDs have died. Yesterday it was my boot drive, today one of my storage drives. Both died after first boot in the morning. I'm suspecting that something might be breaking them (possibly the PSU?).

I tried all of the drives in another PC. Both the dead SSDs also didn't show up in the BIOS there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PC Specs:

Corsair CX750M

Intel i5 4670k

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

16GB DDR3

MSI GTX 1080
WD Blue 1TB HDD

Samsung 830 128GB

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (Brand new; bought and installed it yesterday as a replacement of the first SSD that died)

Replace that PSU asap. Buy a Corsair Rm750x

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

in before people start hating on cheap Corsair CX PSU's.

edit: dang it, too late^^

Unless you have any means of testing the PSU in detail, you can change it, just to be safe. Though no one can guarantee you that voltage peaks from the PSU killed the drives. 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Have you done massive file/files transfers to the drives? SSDs are weak to heavy writing. 

Just now, Speakerator said:

too late lmao

(can't blame them though)

2 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Well you pointed it out yourself...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

CX 750W isn't a bad PSU, it shouldn't be killing anything, but if your SSDs are dropping like flies, something is up. 

I don't know what the answer is but RMAing the CX is Probably the way to start. 

Here with CX600M and 2 SSDs working fine. 

Sonce power only comes from PSU it is most likely thata the case. I dont think Sata cables could do much dmg unless their contacts are too messed up (but then how would it not affect data transfers...).

Im sorry man, I kinda know how it feels. One of my SSDs has disconnected itself several times in last 2 years, totally randomly and it was heartbreaking the first time.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

CX 750W isn't a bad PSU,

Depends on the generation. The Green ones have been known to catch fire and explode. The black ones are mediocre but not a safety hazard.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

This is linustechtips.com after all :P.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Well you pointed it out yourself...

Well, many people use them for their low budget builds and the internet yet has to be flooded with reports of people blaming CX psu's for burning their houses down. Though I guess that most of these PSU's are < 450W - I did not even know there were PSU's in the CX-series with a wattage that high. Once a build reaches a certain quality one does not cheap out on a PSU.

on topic: OP, have you confirmed, that the drives are indeed dead (e.g. with a second PC / external enclosure?) I do not know how they were connected in your system, but it may as well be a dead / dying sata controller on your Mobo

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

How do you know the SSDs are dead?

What tests did you run?

What is their smart status?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Speakerator said:

Well, many people use them for their low budget builds and the internet yet has to be flooded with reports of people blaming CX psu's for burning their houses down. Though I guess that most of these PSU's are < 450W - I did not even know there were PSU's in the CX-series with a wattage that high. Once a build reaches a certain quality one does not cheap out on a PSU.

on topic: OP, have you confirmed, that the drives are indeed dead (e.g. with a second PC / external enclosure?) I do not know how they were connected in your system, but it may as well be a dead / dying sata controller on your Mobo

Trust me. I've had customers who sent their PC parts for their build. I always to tell them to stay away from the CX PSUs. They refused to change them. Within 2-3 months one of the owner came back and told me that his motherboard, GPU and ram died. All, because of the PSU. Bear in mind it happened to 4 other customers of mine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Depends on the generation. The Green ones have been known to catch fire and explode. The black ones are mediocre but not a safety hazard.

It is a PUQ-B (750/850W) based CX and not a DSA-III (430/500/600W) based CX. The PUQ-B is the superior model. That said it still isn't a fantastic PSU. 

The gray label CX 750M is also a PUQ-B, but it has upgraded caps. 

Edit : No CXs are a safety hazard, that is PCMR garbage. 

Edit 2: the gray label CXs are great, do not bag the CX450/550/650M

23 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Have you done massive file/files transfers to the drives? SSDs are weak to heavy writing. 

those SSDs are rated at 40gb a day written. you could literally write that every day for 5 years and not have more problems than the standard deviations dictates. 

Just now, tlink said:

those SSDs are rated at 40gb a day written. you could literally write that every day for 5 years and not have more problems than the standard deviations dictates. 

Should I even bother.

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

CX 750W isn't a bad PSU, it shouldn't be killing anything, but if your SSDs are dropping like flies, something is up. 

I don't know what the answer is but RMAing the CX is Probably the way to start. 

Will probably do that.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Replace that PSU asap. Buy a Corsair Rm750x

Will look into that model.

59 minutes ago, Thony said:

Here with CX600M and 2 SSDs working fine. 

Sonce power only comes from PSU it is most likely thata the case. I dont think Sata cables could do much dmg unless their contacts are too messed up (but then how would it not affect data transfers...).

Im sorry man, I kinda know how it feels. One of my SSDs has disconnected itself several times in last 2 years, totally randomly and it was heartbreaking the first time.

Yup its really frustrating. Especially when the second one died as well today.

53 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

I tried all of the drives in another PC. Both dead SSDs also didn't show up in the BIOS there.

1 hour ago, IAmLamp said:

Should I even bother.

yes you should. worst case you learned something, best case you learned someone something.

U can also look at EVGA PSUs or Seasonic 12-II model. Corsair CX and CS line is cheap amd many units go bad. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE