Laptop for mostly online session

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

You do get a massive amount of online space. I have a c720 which has 2gb of ram and 16GB SSD. It has been 2 years and I have yet to see it slow down browsing the internet with a number of tabs open. 

I have used it for all of my course work for HND software and Computing Science degree. 4 k word reports, design documents and even GUI/EER/Class designs using gliffy.com.

gliff.com is for making like flowcharts and diagrams, that could run on a phone, when i was getting my degree i had a laptop with 8Gb of ram and about 30 some tabs open i google chrome, and i stayed @ 90-99% utilization of memory, no way could 4gb of "Shared memory" do that

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Good luck with Windows only programs. I ran a survey and based on the limited results i got, most devs only develop for Windows. Chromebooks are no exception.

that is just the coding software development is much more than just coding. The design documents, research, reports, documentation and database design can all be done on this little machine and it will last for 8 hours while I am doing it. 

Just because I use c# as my language doesn't mean everything has to be done on windows. 

Just now, DanTheActualMan said:

gliff.com is for making like flowcharts and diagrams, that could run on a phone, when i was getting my degree i had a laptop with 8Gb of ram and about 30 some tabs open i google chrome, and i stayed @ 90-99% utilization of memory, no way could 4gb of "Shared memory" do that

That may be but OP said this was English. My point was that a Chromebook would be more than capable of handling online courses and writing the documents required to pass. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Yeah i would agree on a chromebook if the op want "only online courses" alone but if you would like the have more features and using a cpu intensive programs chromebook is out of the question

13 hours ago, SeraphicWings said:

So my dad want a laptop for his online English course, here are some criteria:

1. Lightweight, portable (right now he's using my GE62, I don't want to imagine someone using a gaming laptop to learn online)

2. No more than $800 (can flex to $900 if possible and suitable)

3. 15.6 inch screen or lower

4. Has an SSD, does not have to include HDD

5. Reliable brand and warranty

6. Metal build (so no plastic)

I was thinking about HP or Dell but if anyone can find a good one please reply, thanks

Personally, I prefer the Lenovo Yoga 710 15.6" because of how sturdy the keyboard is. There is almost no keyboard flex when you push down on it with some force. It is a tablet and computer combo so there is a touch screen. There is a bit of wobble of the screen when typing on your lap because the screen is heaver because of the touch screen part of it. It has a Geforce 940mx 2gb and an i7 inside so it can handle itself with just about anything you throw at it. The Lenovo has almost no heat output from it keeping your legs and yourself from getting hot and sweaty. It is made of a solid metal body and is very light. The fans are quiet and the speakers don't have the best thump to them but they are REALLY loud for how they are positioned. It only has 250gb of ssd storage which is its downfall but for what I use it for is plenty for me. It is a little pricey at $900 bucks but if you get one on sale like I did, I got mine for 800. I would buy this laptop not to game but to have a pleasant typing and browsing experience.