Suggest me a pair of headphones (Or IEMs)

Mr.Meerkat

So I used to have a pair of HD598s but I sold em for multiple reasons (with one of them being I was getting a 50 pounds of profit as Sennhieser products shot up in pricing in the UK).

Currently I have some cloud 2s which I like as it's "good enough" for me to listen to music and play CS without too much trouble but you know...I would like something else.

Anyway, preferences/things to note...

Sound signature: Ermmmm...I don't know? I guess a flat signature would be best for meh as it would be perfect for the type of electronic/EDM/chillshizzle/whatever/rock I listen to :D 

IEM vs Headphones:  I actually prefer IEMs due to my big head but headphones are fine as well as I know there are more headphones than IEMs :D.

Budget: £0-125~

Others: Would be nice if I can use the V-Moda mic with it so I can have a backup headset :), can be powered by my sony Z3C.

Although it's not the best, I do have a USB sound card (which I got on a 3/4 off warehouse sale and it happened just as the sound died in my old laptop so no h8 plis), it's a sound blaster omni so I think harder to drive headphones should be fine? :D 

Thanks boissssss

Edit:

@Dackzy Maybe you can help? :) 

Also how are the AT ATH-M50s? They aren't actually badly priced so...what are your opinions on it? 

Second edit: 

After a long hard thought, I've decided to unfortunately not buy a new pair of headphones for the simple fact that well, I could instead save 100 pounds rather than spending it. Gonna save it for a rainy day rather than spending it on a luxury/almost an impulse buy. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

14 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

So I used to have a pair of HD598s but I sold em for multiple reasons (with one of them being I was getting a 50 pounds of profit as Sennhieser products shot up in pricing in the UK).

Currently I have some cloud 2s which I like as it's "good enough" for me to listen to music and play CS without too much trouble but you know...I would like something else.

Anyway, preferences/things to note...

Sound signature: Ermmmm...I don't know? I guess a flat signature would be best for meh as it would be perfect for the type of electronic/EDM/chillshizzle/whatever/rock I listen to :D 

IEM vs Headphones:  I actually prefer IEMs due to my big head but headphones are fine as well as I know there are more headphones than IEMs :D.

Budget: £0-125~

Others: Would be nice if I can use the V-Moda mic with it so I can have a backup headset :), can be powered by my sony Z3C.

Although it's not the best, I do have a USB sound card (which I got on a 3/4 off warehouse sale and it happened just as the sound died in my old laptop so no h8 plis), it's a sound blaster omni so I think harder to drive headphones should be fine? :D 

Thanks boissssss

Edit:

@Dackzy Maybe you can help? :) 

Also how are the AT MTH-M50s? They aren't actually badly priced so...what are your opinions on it? 

I would have said HD 518s but then you said this......

can be powered by my sony Z3C.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

If you care about proper sound.... Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro. They're not even ridiculously expensive (can get them for €130 here), and they utterly blew all the Sennheiser crap I had before it completely out of the water.

Only downside is that it's really aimed at professional audio people, so it doesn't really have any functionality for adding a mic to it. Sound is really the best you can get in a headphone though. 

Edit: crap... didn't see that you wanted to use it on a phone. Well...forget about proper headphones then I guess? :D

The answer is clearly the Philips SHP9500. They're inexpensive, fairly flat, and allow for the use of the V-MODA BoomPro.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I would have said HD 518s but then you said this......

Tee hee hee...that was one of the reasons why I sold my 598s in the first place :P (I remember how they used to cost 65 quid and now they are 115~, the 518s I'm talking about).

1 minute ago, Jovidah said:

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro

Hmmmm...did see that but a non-removable cable is just kinda putting me off...considering I broke like 2 cables with my old 598s xD 

1 minute ago, Trollbot said:

Philips SHP9500

Well they cost roughly the same as the DT770, sennheiser 518, MTH-M50s ect. so...I'll wait for other people's suggestions :) 

Well...you could consider getting a piece of crap for use with your phone, and get the Beyer Dynamic for use on your computer.

Ripping the cable isn't all that easy considering it comes with a proper telephone-style wire.

Just now, Jovidah said:

Well...you could consider getting a piece of crap for use with your phone, and get the Beyer Dynamic for use on your computer.

Ripping the cable isn't all that easy considering it comes with a proper telephone-style wire.

I know...I already have my Sennhieser MM30G for that which I'm perfectly happy with but...I wanted to use a pair of headphones for long journeys :/ (and yes, this is a contradictory statement vs how I find IEMs more comfortable). 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well they cost roughly the same as the DT770, sennheiser 518, MTH-M50s ect. so...I'll wait for other people's suggestions :) 

They're a lot cheaper than the DT 770, the ATH-M50(x) is a far inferior and more expensive headphone, and the HD 518 is a somewhat inferior headphone; furthermore, none of the three you mentioned will work with the V-MODA BoomPro.

Just now, Trollbot said:

They're a lot cheaper than the DT 770, the ATH-M5(x) is a far inferior and more expensive headphone, and the HD 518 is a somewhat inferior headphone; furthermore, none of the three you mentioned will work with the V-MODA BoomPro.

Nope, not in the UK...

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nope, not in the UK...

I see. In that case, if you're looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, maybe consider the more inexpensive ATH-M40x, as they're much flatter and generally regarded as the better headphone.

1 minute ago, Trollbot said:

I see. In that case, if you're looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, maybe consider the more inexpensive ATH-M40x, as they're much flatter and generally regarded as the better headphone.

Hmmmm...maybe :P 

(I cri everytime how there's no white ATH-M40X tho...)

hmm flat at this price range is not going to happen, flat is what you get with planar headphones. You can get "balanced" and "neutral". For balanced that would be the HD558 and SHP9500. The SHP9500 when compared to the HD558 are a bit more bright, because of the slightly brighter treble. If you want closed then the Sony MDR-7506 is a good option, they are fairly neutral.

Those massdrop Hifiman HE 350 (I think they are called that atleast) Is also a good open option.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

hmm flat at this price range is not going to happen, flat is what you get with planar headphones. You can get "balanced" and "neutral". For balanced that would be the HD558 and SHP9500. The SHP9500 when compared to the HD558 are a bit more bright, because of the slightly brighter treble. If you want closed then the Sony MDR-7506 is a good option, they are fairly neutral.

Those massdrop Hifiman HE 350 (I think they are called that atleast) Is also a good open option.

Alright, it being flat isn't a number one priority :P Frankly since flat isn't happening, I'd probably prefer a little more bass than treble although all the music I listen to are mid/treble oriented...so a little extra bass doesn't hurt ;) 

How are the Beyerdynamic one pros? Compared to let's say the ATH-M50X, which ones are better :P. (and yes they are white so that's why I'm leaning towards these two...don't judge...)

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Alright, it being flat isn't a number one priority :P Frankly since flat isn't happening, I'd probably prefer a little more bass than treble although all the music I listen to are mid/treble oriented...so a little extra bass doesn't hurt ;) 

How are the Beyerdynamic one pros? Compared to let's say the ATH-M50X, which ones are better :P. (and yes they are white so that's why I'm leaning towards these two...don't judge...)

Well the one pros has a bass port that works, so you can use that to get more or less bass. The M50x has a 10db boost in the bass (yet people call them neutral for some weird reason), but the M50x has zero soundstage and not that comfy for longer periods, where the custom one pros are a bit more comfy and has a soundstage, just not that big and you can make them fairly neutral, but you can also get so much bass that you almost get basshead headphones,. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I hope that cleared up some things, if not then try and see if you can get some other audio head in here, because I am going to bed

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Well the one pros has a bass port that works, so you can use that to get more or less bass. The M50x has a 10db boost in the bass (yet people call them neutral for some weird reason), but the M50x has zero soundstage and not that comfy for longer periods, where the custom one pros are a bit more comfy and has a soundstage, just not that big and you can make them fairly neutral, but you can also get so much bass that you almost get basshead headphones,. 

Hmmmmm...white one pros may be good...just because I'm a white and blue fanboy :P (and although I'd like more neutral headphones, I've grown up using bass heavy headphones/IEMs  so I'm used to em anyway). Plus it's cheep...100 pounds on Amazon, cheaper than ATH-M50X, 518s,   SHP9500DT 770 ect. and it's only 10 quid off the ATH-M40X...

8 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hmmmmm...white one pros may be good...just because I'm a white and blue fanboy :P (and although I'd like more neutral headphones, I've grown up using bass heavy headphones/IEMs  so I'm used to em anyway). Plus it's cheep...100 pounds on Amazon, cheaper than ATH-M50X, 518s,   SHP9500DT 770 ect. and it's only 10 quid off the ATH-M40X...

they seem to be good for you.