Overclocking monitor

Butterfish

Is it possible to overclock a ips panel, and will it decrease its lifetime?

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

i heard something about this when the new series of Nvidia card were coming out and how it increases the refresh time. But i did hear that similar to normal overclocking, it is specific to certain monitors and can only be done to a certain extent on certain monitors.

i heard something about this when the new series of Nvidia card were coming out and how it increases the refresh time. But i did hear that similar to normal overclocking, it is specific to certain monitors and can only be done to a certain extent on certain monitors.

Not exactly. G-Sync is this module that will be in some monitors to communicate with NVIDIA GPUs to minimize latency. Some people are speculating for this to break the barriers with TN 120Hz or IPS 60Hz

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Not exactly. G-Sync is this module that will be in some monitors to communicate with NVIDIA GPUs to minimize latency. Some people are speculating for this to break the barriers with TN 120Hz or IPS 60Hz

No actually I think he is talking about when the 700 series was first launched awhile back. Nvidia kept talking about display overclocking and then went quiet about it. EVGA actually released a tool to increase the refresh rate (not sure if it is still available to download or not). Personally I downloaded that tool immediately and was disappointed to see could only get 6 hz extra out of my 60hz monitor. I decided it was not worth the possible risk of reducing lifetime for 6 frames.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

No actually I think he is talking about when the 700 series was first launched awhile back. Nvidia kept talking about display overclocking and then went quiet about it. EVGA actually released a tool to increase the refresh rate (not sure if it is still available to download or not). Personally I downloaded that tool immediately and was disappointed to see could only get 6 hz extra out of my 60hz monitor. I decided it was not worth the possible risk of reducing lifetime for 6 frames.

I was directing the quote to Frogger but this statement is true. EVGA did release an overclocking tool for monitors.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

There was quite minor differences between 60fps and 120fps when i saw the difference so overclocking a 60hz monitor to do about 65-70hz is pointless, you will not see a difference, maybe a placebo effect

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

There was quite minor differences between 60fps and 120fps when i saw the difference so overclocking a 60hz monitor to do about 65-70hz is pointless, you will not see a difference, maybe a placebo effect

the difference between 60hz and 120hz is huge dude.

Not exactly. Many people can see differently in terms of speeds. Some people can see the difference between 50 and 500 frames, others can't. For me it depends on the game.

its a difference but not as much as the difference between 50-60. In my opinion its safe to say that the overclocking monitor stuff is quite pointless and risky.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

- We don't know the effects of overclockin a panel. The only person that can give us details on this, is a LCD panel engineer with years of experience and vast knowlege in the field (senior engineer?).

- You dont' need a special tool for this. You simply create a custom resolution in yur Nvidia or AMD Control Panel of the refresh you want and you are set. You'll see if it works or not (black screen, or message showing that it's out of range)

Just don't go to far, mine gave some tearing on desktop when i set it to high.

WIP: Ryzen 5 3600@4,2ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming | ASRock B450M Steel Legend

Corsair Crystal 280X | Cooler Master MWE 550W | Gigabyte CV27F 1080p 165hz

I've read that some koreans ips monitors (like the QX2710) are great overclockers (you can take your 60Hz comfortably to 100-120 Hz from what I read).

I've also read that that increases the chance of dead pixels or other problems. However, I'm not sure how much credibility to give to that fear. Seems to me that if a panel is so easily overclockable, that's just similar to panels designed to run at higher stock frequencies.

Not sure the reference applies but...Intel could sell stock underclocked 3570Ks at 1 GHz and people would start noticing it goes to 3.8GHz quite easily without any dangers. I think every device has a safe range of use even if this range exceeds whats written on the box. We only need to hear it from a qualified engineer.

Spoiler