I Don't Understand CPU vs GFX Card

Go to solution Solved by DunePilot,

A top end CPU can sometimes be completely capable of running a GPU 5 years from now without bottle-necking too much. The GPU is usually one of the things a person would upgrade mid cycle instead of doing a completely new build. If they wanted a new build every 6 years, they might upgrade the GPU after 3 years and made sure they bought the top end CPU in the beginning. A GPU basically is the workhorse of the graphical end of your system, you want it to not be limited by the CPU. The CPU works hand in hand with the GPU but the GPU is what is really being put under load in games by rendering those beautiful frames of eye candy multiple times per second. As a quote from Wikipedia "A central processing unit (CPU) is the electronic circuitry within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetic, logical, control and input/output (I/O) operations specified by the instructions." The CPU is there to provide whatever overheaded and processing as needed by the game/GPU. (Sorry very layman explanation.)

The higher the resolution a game is rendered in the more graphical data your GPU is having to crunch putting it under a heavier load meaning less frames per second because it has much more to render meaning that higher resolutions are easier on your CPU because less frames are being rendered because the GPU can't render as many frames at higher resolutions. In video games this is what you want. You want your GPU to be your limiting factor (other than your wallet) and not your CPU.

ok so I haven't built my first pc yet, but before I do would like to get a full understanding of them. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PmqckT is my build and I willbe getting the i7-6700K alongside a asus gefore 1060 6g video card. 

I would like to know what plays the major role in performance. 

For e.g. If I get this CPU, is it one of the highest end CPU's or will I need to upgrade it for a better video card? 

Is this GFX Card not going to bottleneck with the 6700K?

Will the CPU last a longer time than the GFX Card would in regards to new more graphics intensive games coming out in the future?

thanks

First of all, the cpu you got is pretty high end, not the highest, but up there. Second, no you are not going to bottleneck anything with the combination of the two. The major role in performance varies, with games like cities skylines, both are important, but in something like Overwatch, gpu performance is better to focus on. You most likely will not need to upgrade it until at least 4 years later, and the cpu should last longer than the gpu when it comes to being able to run demanding games at high settings. 

Also don't buy windows 10 from a retail venue, try kinguin or something else. 

(note: by high end I mean high end for gaming, don't expect to be able to render  high budget films or something)

bottleneck is the term being applied to cpu, not gpu

no 6700k will handle any card nicely. unless you it is 5 years away then who knows

yes. 6700k will last quite a long time

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

bottleneck is the term being applied to cpu, not gpu

no 6700k will handle any card nicely. unless you it is 5 years away then who knows

yes. 6700k will last quite a long time

Just now, 2Fast2Quik said:

First of all, the cpu you got is pretty high end, not the highest, but up there. Second, no you are not going to bottleneck anything with the combination of the two. The major role in performance varies, with games like cities skylines, both are important, but in something like Overwatch, gpu performance is better to focus on. You most likely will not need to upgrade it until at least 4 years later, and the cpu should last longer than the gpu when it comes to being able to run demanding games at high settings. 

Also don't buy windows 10 from a retail venue, try kinguin or something else. 

Awesome thanks. There are some nice bundles on newegg with essentially the same parts I will look into :)

Just now, BlakeThePCScrub said:

Awesome thanks. There are some nice bundles on newegg with essentially the same parts I will look into :)

but 6700k is bit overkill imo. sure for long term is great but have you thought on like buying mid range 6600k cpu, sell it for a 6700k or new kaby lake 7700k when on an upgrade point?

A top end CPU can sometimes be completely capable of running a GPU 5 years from now without bottle-necking too much. The GPU is usually one of the things a person would upgrade mid cycle instead of doing a completely new build. If they wanted a new build every 6 years, they might upgrade the GPU after 3 years and made sure they bought the top end CPU in the beginning. A GPU basically is the workhorse of the graphical end of your system, you want it to not be limited by the CPU. The CPU works hand in hand with the GPU but the GPU is what is really being put under load in games by rendering those beautiful frames of eye candy multiple times per second. As a quote from Wikipedia "A central processing unit (CPU) is the electronic circuitry within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetic, logical, control and input/output (I/O) operations specified by the instructions." The CPU is there to provide whatever overheaded and processing as needed by the game/GPU. (Sorry very layman explanation.)

The higher the resolution a game is rendered in the more graphical data your GPU is having to crunch putting it under a heavier load meaning less frames per second because it has much more to render meaning that higher resolutions are easier on your CPU because less frames are being rendered because the GPU can't render as many frames at higher resolutions. In video games this is what you want. You want your GPU to be your limiting factor (other than your wallet) and not your CPU.

i7 6700k vs i5 6600k ?

considering price for a first build

gaming, recording, editing

Which one would be best?

8 minutes ago, BlakeThePCScrub said:

i7 6700k vs i5 6600k ?

considering price for a first build

gaming, recording, editing

Which one would be best?

If you want to make youtube videos or stream spend the extra money to double up your threads.

1 hour ago, dexxterlab97 said:

but 6700k is bit overkill imo. sure for long term is great but have you thought on like buying mid range 6600k cpu, sell it for a 6700k or new kaby lake 7700k when on an upgrade point?

In my experience, the core 6600k and 6700k have an almost negligible difference when it comes to general gaming, plus the 6600k is cheaper so you can save a couple of bucks. However, the 6700k is also nothing to laugh at, but keep in mind some applications will not use the additional threads it has.