How do you shop for your PC parts?

Armakar

[POLL] How do you buy your PC components? (Out of interest)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What method do you use when shopping for new build parts?

• I spend most of my money on CPU + GPU.
    • I balance my build evenly, with all solid components.
    • I buy second hand parts to fit more into my budget.
    • FPS only - I spend money on CPU,GPU, motherboard and PSU, but I don't care about buying SSDs, Fans, CPU coolers or cases.

Just a thread out of interest to see what types of components and balance people go for when buying new PCs.

Personally, I balance everything quite evenly. I wouldn't ever cheap out on a PSU or case or CPU cooler if it means I can get a 1080 over a 1070.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

3 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Just a thread out of interest to see what types of components and balance people go for when buying new PCs.

Personally, I balance everything quite evenly. I wouldn't ever cheap out on a PSU or case or CPU cooler if it means I can get a 1080 over a 1070.

i prefer to get the best performance for my money. i will usually get the components that will get the job done as far as motherboard and case. for psu i will get something that gives the build enough power while also being reliable. i always get a ssd boot drive because you get alot of performance gains for very little money and i hate slow computers. then the rest goes into cpu and gpu with a evo 212 because i don't like to overclock all that much anyways and i'm quite familiar with it.  

Get a pre built

Regret

Cry

5 minutes ago, jello77 said:

1. Define needs

2. Determine budget

3. Research research research

4. Draft a build

5. More research

6. Update draft.

7. Research research research

8. Order parts in most cost efficient way.

9. Wait impatiently

10. Build!

+1, this is exactly what I do

Main Rig

2 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Ik how i shop

I go into a shop and buy them...

Wait a minute. That's too obvious

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Get a pre built

Regret

Cry

Guilty of this... did that twice in a row when I was too scared to build my own, only when I did proper research did I find out they give you the worst cards, worst brand PSUs and a shitty motherboard... not to mention you can get way better for the price.

Main Rig

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

Wait a minute. That's too obvious

Wait an hour........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................fuck life

Just now, Armakar said:

Guilty of this... did that twice in a row when I was too scared to build my own, only when I did proper research did I find out they give you the worst cards, worst brand PSUs and a shitty motherboard... not to mention you can get way better for the price.

Mine was a fine Delta

I bought a pre-built piece of junk about 25 years ago. The idea of building my own machine was a foreign concept to me.

39 minutes ago, jello77 said:

I bought a pre-built piece of junk about 25 years ago. The idea of building my own machine was a foreign concept to me.

Is it running win 98. Must be old as hell

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Is it running win 98. Must be old as hell

I'm sure it has been landfill for many many years by now.

I make a max budget, say $500.

I buy a decent CPU for that price range.   (Say Core i3 6100 or an FX 8320e).  Then I buy the rest of the components, spend whatever I have left in budget on the best GPU I can get.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

The majority of my PC builds have just been upgrades of my primary rig.

Typically that starts with choosing the CPU then finding a good mobo and ram for it.  

Everything else usually gets upgraded as time goes on. 

I set a temporal budget. 

Search what is out there in that budget.

Watch a shit ton of reviews searching for patterns in pros and cons reviewers may find for every product selected.

What do i look: 

PSU: High quality (jap) caps rated at 85ºC or more. Low ripple (MUST!), preferably tested at high ambient Tº units. (Seasonic X series Gold or more).  

RAM: Not high profile heatsinks, entire kits that are known and tested by the comunity. (Ripjaws, corsair, etc). 

Heatsink: Air, not water, low noise signature, high performance on load (i don't care if it idles at 50ºC, but my full load temps must be relatively low). (Noctua, Deepcool, etc).

SSD's: SATA not M2 (because of temps) and must be largely known to not fail nor degrade within two years of relatively mid use. 

GPU: Core, VRM and VRAM cooling must be on check. If they are not being actively cooled i don't buy. (Never reference design, Never XFX!)

HDD: WD Not black (due to temps and noise), never Seagate since their peak fail rate with Barracuda. 

CASE: Hardware compatibility for huge ass cpu heatsink, large gpu's and good enough cable management so it isn't a rat nest and high airflow. Looks are not considered. 

CPU: Overclock potential. No OC no buy. 

Motherboard: Power delivery must be reliable. I don't care if it's somehow short. But it must be largely tested. Passively cooling for every VRM. OC ready, Full ATX. Looks are not considered.  (Pref. Asus, Gigabyte).

I believe everybody buy their PC with "balance" in mind. It's just "balance" is a metaphor that has different meanings for all of us.