possible to share game drive over internet

wasnt really sure what to put as title so that will do

so im wanting to set up a partition on my main drive for games so when im out and about or at a friends place, or things like that. and im wondering if its possible to set it up so i dont need to download anything and still be able to play the games,

wanting to play games from point A through internet to point B without needing to install/download anything in windows, if that makes any sense

I'm going to go on a limb here and say it's not possible. It's going to be far too slow.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

im not worried about the speed, since my upload speed is pretty good, give or take 150down, and at most places around that i go to, the download is about 100

1 minute ago, star_weaver said:

im not worried about the speed, since my upload speed is pretty good, give or take 150down, and at most places around that i go to, the download is about 100

I'm not convinced that's fast enough, considering storage drives go far beyond that, and any fluctuation in your Internet connection may have a direct impact on your experience, particularly during loading scenes. Bear in mind that loading scenes are loading a lot of data, and you will be waiting for a fair while.

Is your upload speed 150mbps? Also, I've streamed games over my network using a NAS that can put out 100MB/s over my network, and some games like Dirt Showdown never loaded. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

yea, any way the games that i normally play, have close to no loading bars, a few at the start but thats normally over and done with, within a second or 2

one way you could do it, if the router is VPN capable, is to set up a TAP VPN tunnel - if you set it right you could browse the work group just like you would be in a LAN

the speed tho, even if you have 100+mbps at one point doesn't mean you have 100mbps at the other end

2 minutes ago, star_weaver said:

yea, any way the games that i normally play, have close to no loading bars, a few at the start but thats normally over and done with, within a second or 2

What games? 

mainly tera, planetside and space engineers
tera is a bit heavyer on the loading but planetside is pretty easy and after the initial 2 loading bars theres essentially no disc usage, and space engineers, well thats got almost no loading other than the 1 at the start when loading into a world

You're better off getting a 64gb or larger thumb drive, and just backing up said directory ever so often and then taking that with you. That way the most you'd have to download are maybe a couple days worth of updates, or just play it unpatched.

Running the game locally, if you get 150ms or more you start feeling it in game. Now imagine you're getting 150ms on just launching the game PLUS whatever latency you get to the game servers. You can have gigabit internet, it won't help.

I tried this once using a mapped network drive over VPN to my Steam games directory. The list of games would populate, but they never did load. I did only have a 5mbps upload at the mapped drive source though... and very well was my problem.

Can't hurt to try it.

You can share a drive but you wont be able to host anything like games streaming over the internet cause the load speeds will be slow as it has to download each and every file to your remote computer to load up and even on a fast network it will still be slow. Also steam already allows you to stream games to your remote computer and use the host as the server for the loading and rendering so all you see is just the output

On 2016-10-20 at 6:27 AM, star_weaver said:

mainly tera, planetside and space engineers
tera is a bit heavyer on the loading but planetside is pretty easy and after the initial 2 loading bars theres essentially no disc usage, and space engineers, well thats got almost no loading other than the 1 at the start when loading into a world

Keep in mind that your Internet connection will be utterly murdered - on both sides (The drive hosting the game files, and the site accessing them). Doubly so if you plan on playing Multiplayer games. Your internet will need to stream the game files while also streaming multiplayer data.

You could certainly give it a shot, but I can't imagine it's worth the effort, as the experience will likely be terrible.

If you want a system where you don't have to download games while at a friends house: Install your games onto an external USB 3.0 drive, and bring that with you - or hell, even a large USB Thumb Drive (USB 3.0 with decent read/write specs would be ideal).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)