Kubuntu Bricked My PC, PLEASE HELP!

Go to solution Solved by /dev/God/Haruhi,

First of all some explanations. GRUB is the boot loader, the piece of software that the BIOS/UEFI load first. It does then manage loading an OS, be it Windows or Kubuntu. It is after the BIOS but before showing the splash screen of Kubuntu. Windows does it have too, but it is usually hidden for users due to having usually only one OS. It should look like this:

Spoiler

ubuntu-grub-change-boot-order.png

It should list your Windows install. It could be on "hidden until you press a key" and auto booting Kubuntu (since you seem to boot into Kubuntu without problem), has been quite some time so I don't know the defaults on *buntu distros. Try keeping any non-bios key pressed. If it does not show your Windows install in the menu you can do what people has already suggested: you can either fix it (more educational), reinstall Kubuntu because something went wrong and your Windows partition was not recognized when installing GRUB or, more sadly, ditch the idea and fix Windows boot loader. If you decide to go with option 2 I'd suggest to go with KDE Neon, it is almost the same of what Kubuntu, but KDE is updated more regularly. Whichever option you choose be sure to ask, and will help.

Specs: i5-6500

GA-H170N-WIFI

16 GiB of 2,133 MHz DDR4 Dual Channel

Windows is on an Intel 120gb SSD

I installed Kubuntu into a separate partition on a 5400rpm TiB hard drive

Windows 10 Home x86-64 w/ Anniversary Update

very minimal experience with Linux

Okay, so I was trying to install Kubuntu as a dual boot separate partition on my auxiliary hard drive so I created a partition for it manually through disk management and it looked good with 30 GiB, so I got a ISO to USB conversion of Kubuntu plugged in and booted and the installer was working fine, but I think I chose something wrong because whenever I boot my computer, no matter how I press DEL or F12, it will NOT boot Windows, it always shows Ubuntu startup or grub fail. I can prove that it didn't delete Windows because I can use Kubuntu's file manager to go back on my Solid State Drive where Windows was installed and all of my files are still there. I was forced to Kubuntu's auto-partition that wouldn't let me use my new partition, it created it's own, so now my hard drive has like 4 different partitions. One thing I noticed while constantly hitting f12 and CTRL+ALT+DEL over and over again was that no matter where I booted, grub would show up, which means that Ubuntu is almost like part of the UEFI or something.

One, how do I get back into windows, two, how do I delete Kubuntu off my machine, and three, why does Kubuntu run at 19Hz and stutter and buffer in constantly? Is it the video drivers?

No, I didn't make a backup / recovery / repair disk. Would reinstalling windows do anything? I have the Windows 10 ISO

How do I do what I need to do?

2 minutes ago, FlipSol said:

Kubuntu run at 19Hz and stutter and buffer in constantly? Is it the video drivers?

What gpu?

grub probably was installed on your ssd. What do you see in the grub menu?

I don't think anything is bricked... for that you should start a BIOS update and then pull the plug while it's running (don't actually do that, you'll really mess things up)

You just need to reinstall 1 or more OSes and it should be all back to normal.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What gpu?

grub probably was installed on your ssd. What do you see in the grub menu?

My GPU is a GTX 1060 EVGA SC. Kubuntu probably wants to use OpenGL if anything but I don't think that's pertinent. As for GRUB, I don't even know what GRUB is. All I know is that if I disable the hard drive, GRUB will make an error message, but nothing will work.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't think anything is bricked... for that you should start a BIOS update and then pull the plug while it's running (don't actually do that, you'll really mess things up)

You just need to reinstall 1 or more OSes and it should be all back to normal.

Could you clarify on what I need to do, should I reinstall Kubuntu, or Windows, and does GPT / MBR matter?

Should I swap Kubuntu for something without GRUB?

Edited by FlipSol

1 minute ago, FlipSol said:

Could you clarify on what I need to do, should I reinstall Kubuntu, or Windows, and does GPT / MBR matter?

Should I swap Kubuntu for something without GRUB?

I believe from your description that Windows is probably fine.  I would format the drive, cleaning up the mess of partitions on it and reinstall Kubuntu.  That will recreate GRUB and hopefully it will detect everything and work properly this time.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I believe from your description that Windows is probably fine.  I would format the drive, cleaning up the mess of partitions on it and reinstall Kubuntu.  That will recreate GRUB and hopefully it will detect everything and work properly this time.

S***, someone's gonna have to reinstall Total War: Rome II tomorrow...

Just now, FlipSol said:

S***, someone's gonna have to reinstall Total War: Rome II tomorrow...

Why?

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why?

Well, if I'm gonna format the hard drive, actually, I could just get rid of the redundant partitions now that I think about it.

5 minutes ago, FlipSol said:

Well, if I'm gonna format the hard drive, actually, I could just get rid of the redundant partitions now that I think about it.

Well you can leave the ones that don't appear to have been adversely affected.  Just delete any you didn't mean to create and try again.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well you can leave the ones that don't appear to have been adversely affected.  Just delete any you didn't mean to create and try again.

are there any quick commands for this? I might get some software to help me.

1 minute ago, FlipSol said:

are there any quick commands for this? I might get some software to help me.

It's easiest with a tool like gparted imo, especially if you're not already familiar with the command line.

If you're going to reinstall the Kubuntu, just handle the partitioning with the OS installer. You can use it to get rid of any unwanted partitions and to create a new one that fits the needs of the OS, no need to keep guessing beforehand.

Longer, but far more educational route would be to Google how to fix the existing Grub, it can be done and quite useful knowledge if you plan on sticking with linux.

Just try a better linux distro like ubuntu on that 30Gb partition, that should re-install GRUB and clear up the problems hopefully.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I think you have two choices here. Use a Windows install CD/USB to repair the Windows bootloader, or install a different Linux distro (making sure not to overwrite your Windows partition), and run "sudo update-grub" after installing. 

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

First of all some explanations. GRUB is the boot loader, the piece of software that the BIOS/UEFI load first. It does then manage loading an OS, be it Windows or Kubuntu. It is after the BIOS but before showing the splash screen of Kubuntu. Windows does it have too, but it is usually hidden for users due to having usually only one OS. It should look like this:

Spoiler

ubuntu-grub-change-boot-order.png

It should list your Windows install. It could be on "hidden until you press a key" and auto booting Kubuntu (since you seem to boot into Kubuntu without problem), has been quite some time so I don't know the defaults on *buntu distros. Try keeping any non-bios key pressed. If it does not show your Windows install in the menu you can do what people has already suggested: you can either fix it (more educational), reinstall Kubuntu because something went wrong and your Windows partition was not recognized when installing GRUB or, more sadly, ditch the idea and fix Windows boot loader. If you decide to go with option 2 I'd suggest to go with KDE Neon, it is almost the same of what Kubuntu, but KDE is updated more regularly. Whichever option you choose be sure to ask, and will help.