Should i get the PSVR?

Hi,

My friend recently won a psvr from the taco bell promotion but he doesn't play many games nor does he own a ps4.He is willing to sell it to me for 100-200$ but i don't have a PS4 either nor do i plan on getting one. Ive always wanted to get a vr headset (for pc) and i think this is a cool opportunity. Ive also heard that Sony is planning to release PC support and that people are working on hacks to get the PSVR to work on PC but all of these are maybes and might never happen (there also might be connection issues). 

So what i wanted to ask if the risk is worth it?

Maybe wait until there is more conrete evidence that it works with PC? Otherwise just get a used PS4 for like 200 bucks or a new one on Black Friday

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 hour ago, potatoproduction said:

So what i wanted to ask if the risk is worth it?

The risk of hoping it would work on a system other than a PS4?  I'd say no.  If you want to use PS VR, you should really use it with a PS4.

If he's honest/trustworthy, I'll buy it from him. Since his range is $100-200, I'll give him $200 shipped. 

No. let it mature a bit. Has some tracking issues and the regular ps4 sees some performance dips.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

• 3 weeks later...

scruffy90 has it on point.
PC VR is at a very strange point right now. I'm not sure if that headset will age like wine or milk at this point. A lot of game producers are calling the whole VR thing the next big flop, as the average consumer cant (or isn't willing) pay the biiiiiiiiig chunk of change to get into VR, which means less copies of games sold which means less profit which means less games and so repeats the cycle until death. but there is a chance it really takes off still.

Id still give it awhile to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

whyyyy is a display on your head with tracking so expensive the tracking tech has been around for years and the hardware is there screw facebook

2 hours ago, baconbuilder99 said:

whyyyy is a display on your head with tracking so expensive the tracking tech has been around for years and the hardware is there screw facebook

PS4VR comes with a little box to help render the two images because the PS4 itself doesn't have enough juice to do it.

On 11/16/2016 at 11:21 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

PS4VR comes with a little box to help render the two images because the PS4 itself doesn't have enough juice to do it.

well that makes sense, but what about the rift and vive?

16 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

They expect you to have a $1000 gaming rig.

yeah, but why is the headset so expnesive if the pc is the ne providing the power

Just now, baconbuilder99 said:

yeah, but why is the headset so expnesive if the pc is the ne providing the power

Probably something to do with the display. IIRC, the PSVR is a single display with simpler optics and control whereas the Vive and Rift use two separate displays and more complex optics.

I mean hell if Google Cardboard is $10 and turns your phone into a VR HMD, I don't see why they HTC and Oculus went their route.