Need help with getting my ethernet too work.

ItWasEnder

So I have an ethernet cable going from my laptop into my desktop to share wifi. But I get it doesnt have a valid ip configuration... I have tried a bunch of stuff and hasn't worked. 

i dont think that will work
you can confirgure it to share local files over the ethernet cable but not internet data

i could be wrong, 
just buy a $20 wifi adapter for your desktop?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

i dont think that will work
you can confirgure it to share local files over the ethernet cable but not internet data

i could be wrong, 
just buy a $20 wifi adapter for your desktop?

I'm broke, and It works... Its called bridging my wifi connection adapter with my local area connection/lan cable. I do it all the time, but recently I updated my pc and not its have problems with it so i downgraded and same problems, "unidentified network"

wat

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

wat

Bridge the connection between my laptop and desktop with my wifi.

Just now, EnderGaming said:

Bridge the connection between my laptop and desktop with my wifi.

I have internet on my desktop rn, how I'm typing b/c I worked around it by enabling the share option on my laptop in the wifi adapter settings. But i need my desktop computer to share the ip so I can host servers, but I cant do that if I can't get the connection to work, hence unidentified network. and when I run diagnostics I get "non configured ip"

For windows you can open the ethernet adapter properties, go to the sharing tab and check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". You'll also need to configure the IPV4 addresses manually on a different subnet than your main network. Set the laptop ethernet adapter to something like 192.168.2.1 and the desktop to 192.168.2.2.

Just now, Mr.McMister said:

For windows you can open the ethernet adapter properties, go to the sharing tab and check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". You'll also need to configure the IPV4 addresses manually on a different subnet then your main network. Set the laptop ethernet adapter to something like 192.168.2.1 and the desktop to 192.168.2.2.

rn it reset\, (on laptop) ip add.: 192.168.137.1, SUBNET: 255.255.255.0

7 minutes ago, Mr.McMister said:

For windows you can open the ethernet adapter properties, go to the sharing tab and check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". You'll also need to configure the IPV4 addresses manually on a different subnet than your main network. Set the laptop ethernet adapter to something like 192.168.2.1 and the desktop to 192.168.2.2.

so i did it 137.2 and i vailidated it on exit and it said that my DHCP was disabled o.O don't know how or why
laptop says unidentified network still

5 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

so i did it 137.2 and i vailidated it on exit and it said that my DHCP was disabled o.O don't know how or why
laptop says unidentified network still

the network has to be identifiable to be bridged>?

10 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

rn it reset\, (on laptop) ip add.: 192.168.137.1, SUBNET: 255.255.255.0

The 255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask which is different from the subnet which for a local network is the 3rd set of digits in the ipv4 address 192.168.###.1. Subnet mask should remain as 255.255.255.0. The gateway should also be the address of of the computer you're sharing internet from.

You only need to set static addresses for the connection between the 2 computers your try to share internet across. The connection for the internet should remain unchanged. Setting static IPs disables DHCP because the IP addresses are no longer being dynamically assigned. Windows doesn't have a DHCP server to hand out addesses built in anyway.

2 minutes ago, Mr.McMister said:

The 255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask which is different from the subnet which for a local network is the 3rd set of digits in the ipv4 address 192.168.###.1. Subnet mask should remain as 255.255.255.0.

You only need to set static addresses for the connection between the 2 computers your try to share internet across. The connection for the internet should remain unchanged. Setting static IPs disables DHCP because the IP addresses are no longer being dynamically assigned. Windows doesn't have a DHCP server to hand out addesses built in anyway.

the subnet mask was never changed

12 minutes ago, Mr.McMister said:

The 255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask which is different from the subnet which for a local network is the 3rd set of digits in the ipv4 address 192.168.###.1. Subnet mask should remain as 255.255.255.0. The gateway should also be the address of of the computer you're sharing internet from.

ok so I bridged the 2 and they did it. But on my laptop ipv6 has no internet access and on my desktop neither ipv4 or ipv6 have access

Diagnostics (Desktop): "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration
The default gateway is not available

EDIT:|IPV4 Have internet ipv6 does not

7 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

ok so I bridged the 2 and they did it. But on my laptop ipv6 has no internet access and on my desktop neither ipv4 or ipv6 have access

You don't have to worry about ipv6, most home ISPs don't even support it yet. One thing i forgot is that you should also be using a crossover ethernet cable or you'll need to use a network switch. Some gigabit NICs support auto-configuration to make a regular cable work as crossover, but this isn't present on a lot of the cheaper ones and 10/100mbps NICs don't support it at all.

3 minutes ago, Mr.McMister said:

You don't have to worry about ipv6, most home ISPs don't even support it yet. One thing i forgot is that you should also be using a crossover ethernet cable or you'll need to use a network switch. Some gigabit NICs support auto-configuration to make a regular cable work as crossover, but this isn't present on a lot of the cheaper ones.

I'm using a cat-5e cable BOC,

Most desktop NICs support auto mdix, so you won't need a crossover cable.

Don't expect good reliability hosting servers on this connection.

4 minutes ago, EnderGaming said:

I'm using a cat-5e cable BOC,

In a crossover cable the physical wiring is different. 2 of the twisted pairs are swapped at one connector. This swapping of pair makes sure the transmit pair on one machine connects to the receive pair on the other and vice versa otherwise you're just connecting transmit to transmit and receive to receive. If either of the NICs in the machines are 10/100 only then you need a crossover cable.

The gigabit spec allows the NIC to assign pairs as either transmit or receive on the fly and thus a regular cable can be used on all NICs that are to the full gigabit spec. The grade of the cable won't matter as long as it's CAT5 or better.

3 minutes ago, Emmien said:

Most desktop NICs support auto mdix, so you won't need a crossover cable.

Don't expect good reliability hosting servers on this connection.

host serves if absolutely fine and perfectly reliable, idk if you have problems but it works fine for me.

On 10/17/2016 at 0:54 PM, Mr.McMister said:

The 255.255.255.0 is the subnet mask which is different from the subnet which for a local network is the 3rd set of digits in the ipv4 address 192.168.###.1. Subnet mask should remain as 255.255.255.0.

its just a nice tip, Like tethering an android device via micro usb, it works with any os; linux, windows, mac (not confirmed).

Not 100% sure but bridging your connection to another PC probably creates a DHCP relay on the computer sharing the connection, thus eliminating the need to mess around with static IP addresses.

One thing to note is that the sharing computer does not automatically route the connection from the static network you just created to the network it gets via DHCP. That's proably the reason there's no internet connection in the static network, but sharing between the two computers should work with that network setup.

You might wanna revert back to the configuration that originally worked and check your settings one by one once again.