Thinkpad p50 Deal : Is it worth it ?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/

Thinkpad p50 is currently on sale at $1071 I know the laptop is a beast and maybe overkill for majority of cases. But it's durable and so many upgradeable options. 

Currently i am waiting till december to make my final decision , i was looking at Dell Inspiron 7559 and also the release of gtx 1050 laptops. But then i see this laptop with such a great deal , but being a noob i don't know whether it's worth the shot or not ? because i don't know when will this sale end.

If there are other great business laptops that might be durable (at least 4 to 5 years) , have good build quality and can be upgraded easily then please list out there names too.

Currently i see lenovo laptops on sale, and i haven't tried any lenovo products yet but there business laptops looks promising

@Dackzy @Pendragon can you guys comment on this?

8 minutes ago, ZenSra said:

Thinkpad p50 is currently on sale at $1071 I know the laptop is a beast and maybe overkill for majority of cases. But it's durable and so many upgradeable options. 

Currently i am waiting till december to make my final decision , i was looking at Dell Inspiron 7559 and also the release of gtx 1050 laptops. But then i see this laptop with such a great deal , but being a noob i don't know whether it's worth the shot or not ? because i don't know when will this sale end.

If there are other great business laptops that might be durable (at least 4 to 5 years) , have good build quality and can be upgraded easily then please list out there names too.

Currently i see lenovo laptops on sale, and i haven't tried any lenovo products yet but there business laptops looks promising

Personally I would go for the inspirion

10 minutes ago, ZenSra said:

or the XPS line for Dell

OP ThinkPad's are known for being the best of the best when it comes to build quality, you can take them to hell and back and they would still work.

This should not be any surprise, but the P50 would wreck any normal laptop in build quality, it us insanely well put together and it is on the same level of build quality as the T series meaning it is better build than other business class laptops. For those who didn't know, the T series is often seen as the best build business class laptop ever. Since this is a business laptop and not a cheap one, then you will be able to find parts for it the next 5 years at least. Also Lenovo will come out to you and fix your laptop within 24 hours, because it is a business laptop, that is at least how their warranty is in EU.

The M1000M is about a 950m in gaming, so not that good. Other than that the P50 wins, so what do you value more build quality or gaming performance. If you are going to do 3D work then the quadro wrecks a 960m, because most 3D programs only have support for quadro and firepro, meaning your GTX would just sit their doing nothing.

Unless you treat it like shit and drop it often then the P50 should without any problem last you 4-5 years, even if you treat it badly it should last you 4-5 years, god only knows what I have done to my ThinkPad and it works fine, just getting a bit too old for what I do.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

If you are going to do 3D work then the quadro wrecks a 960m, because most 3D programs only have support for quadro and firepro, meaning your GTX would just sit their doing nothing.

Very specific programs. @ZenSra you can find programs that REQUIRE Quadros online, but most like Inventor work completely fine with GTX cards. 

9 hours ago, ZenSra said:

Dell Outlet. Get the best shit there. The equivalent of the P50 on Dell is Precision 7510. 

Ahem, also people might shoot me, but Alienware laptops on sales at Dell Outlet are pretty nice. LOL.

9 hours ago, ZenSra said:

It really depends on your work and what you'll be doing with this laptop. Sit it at a desk and move it once in a while. Dell is fine. If you're like me and your laptops go in the suitcase and come traveling a few times a week, then nah, get Business Laptops. Also, if your work is of critical importance and time sensitive, business laptop. You have no idea how many times Lenovo, Dell, HP's premium 24 hour onsite repair has saved my ass. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

snip

yeah well all of the autocad programs only has support for quadro and firepro, you can get a mod so a GTX card works, but it doesn't work that well all the time.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yeah well all of the autocad programs only has support for quadro and firepro, you can get a mod so a GTX card works, but it doesn't work that well all the time.

that is true. but we here are true modders. jk. i use autocad barely. and i do have a quadro so i never know. LOL. 

Laptop Main

@Dackzy check out Eason's Razer Blade thread. LOL. And then read through his link. Holy shit I died laughing at the airport and people thought I was gonna set off a bomb.

Laptop Main

5 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

that is true. but we here are true modders. jk. i use autocad barely. and i do have a quadro so i never know. LOL. 

I have only spend about 2k hours in autocad programs on my laptop xD

3 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

@Dackzy check out Eason's Razer Blade thread. LOL. And then read through his link. Holy shit I died laughing at the airport and people thought I was gonna set off a bomb.

will do