unlimted amazon cloud or Build a NAS

Bit Cloud
1 minute ago, Rapha, said:

getting conflicted do i pay the yearly subscription  or build a Nas

it depends, how much money are you going to spen on the nas

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

also depends on what you are going to store and how important it is

if it's things like tax and bills that have your credit card number and pi on it then a NAS for safety

if its things like family photos and simple documents that aren't personal then cloud

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

1 minute ago, Rapha, said:

800 /1000 $
"Australian $'s"

amazon cloud

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

i am more thinking that plex you can now link amazon cloud witch when you think about  it its pretty crazy

I don't like to give direct answers in these situations, because it really depends on preference, so here are some things to think about: 

Amazon: 

• Would be much more reliable storage, and you would be more secure because it wouldn't be at your home.  If you started a web server to access the storage like OwnCloud for example, that would expose your network more than if you just had a closed NAT Firewall. 
  • Amazon would be cheaper overall, it wouldn't be a one off payment, but you wouldn't have to pay for power, and you also wouldn't have to maintain the server and fix any problems with it like you would one of your own (what if a Drive died, Ram problems?). 
  • Amazon would make it easier to share files with friends and colleagues, it would also make it easier to store files from anywhere just as your school, college or your workplace. 

A Home Server: 

• Could be much more expensive not only in the short term but also in the long term if the server sucked up a lot of power (what if there was a power cut?)
  • A home server would be much more private, if you are an advocate of privacy then use your own server, it's much more secure if you know what you are doing. 
  • You might have to make a FTP server, a web server or a VPN server to actually get your files from another location which could be quite a pain and potentially expose your network, not to mention you might have to spend money on an SSL certificate if you wanted your own privacy and one better than what LetsEncrypt gives you.
  • You want to have a secure network setup, if you don't you might make your network vulnerable. 

There are of course more points, but I think the most biggest ones (in my opinion) are here. 

Plex with Amazon Drive storage will provide Plex functionality (and file store).

NAS will do LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of things.   But if you dont need these things then it is irrelevant.

BOTH!

You should want to have easily accessible (fast) storage while ensuring a solid backup to secure cloud storage.

In my case, I backup everything to a QNAP (TVS-EC880) that resides in my home with a backup job copying everything I choose to Amazon Drive. 

With this I retain fast, network based storage while also being able to access my data within the cloud if I need.

You can get away with a much less powerful qnap as well (https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-451-Personal-Quad-Core-Transcoding/dp/B015VNLGF8?th=1 or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXP9RJC/ref=psdc_13436301_t2_B015VNLGF8)

I'll point out that if its for media, last time I tried to use Amazon cloud for 1080p "videos", they weren't to happy....

Maybe thats changed though.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

I'll point out that if its for media, last time I tried to use Amazon cloud for 1080p "videos", they weren't to happy....

Maybe thats changed though.

Can you share some more details on the experience?

I have my qnap syncing to Amazon Drive (LOTS of movies included) and I haven't heard anything to this today.  

17 minutes ago, Dark said:

Can you share some more details on the experience?

I have my qnap syncing to Amazon Drive (LOTS of movies included) and I haven't heard anything to this today.  

Well if its letting you sync it then they must have lifted it. You couldn't sync any videos above a certain size when they first introduced Unlimited.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Has anyone tested plex+amazon? It looks like you still need it locally, you can't just stick media files there and it grabs them. Guess it is then direct play only, no live transcoding.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201889756-Cloud-Sync-Overview

What is your upload/download speeds? Depending on the file, there's going to be a pretty significant lag when doing anything on amazon cloud compared to local. Also is your bandwidth metered (comcast / time warner etc..)?

For a backup solution I think amazon cloud or cloud storage in general is a fantastic idea. I personally wouldn't want files I actively access on the cloud, latency would drive me nuts. 

$1,000aus isn't too bad of a budget  - how much storage do you need?