The Film Look - 24fps / 60fps 1080p

RamSatesh

Hi guys, I'm filming a music video soon and have some questions. In the music video, I'll be having alittle slow motion just like the video shown below. So should I set the frame rate at 24 fps for that film look or set it at 60 fps then edit it at post production later on? both will be shot at 1080p though :) any help is much appreciated

Link to video:

"That film look" is meaningless, it's just a petty excuse to spare some money in high budget films and to pr over crappy performance in videogames.

60 fps is objectively better in every way. If you want to do slow motion however bear in mind that the slow motion part will have its framerate reduced by the slowing factor, so a 60fps video at 0.5 speed actually runs at 30fps as you probably guessed. Therefore you may want to edit the video at 30fps so you can record at 60 and do slow motion without having different parts with different framerates. If your camera can do 120 fps you can use that and have 60 fps.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I personally feel 24 FPS is choppy and simply looks unimpressive in movies, but it's a lot cheaper and takes a lot less time to render than 60 FPS for videos, plus you can use lower bitrates before quality goes down.

If you need slow motion and you record at 60 FPS, you could have those parts be at 30 FPS, though it won't look as good as if you used a 120 FPS camera and slowed it to 60 FPS, plus it might look a little weird having different parts of the video at different frame rates. In that case, you could do 30 FPS for your entire video.

Does your camera have a "slow motion" setting? If so then it'll usually record at a higher frame rate. Depending on how slow you want the "slow motion" to be, set your frame rate accordingly. If you want your final project to be 60fps, then set the frame rate to some multiple of 60. (120, 180, 240, 300 fps) Faster frame rates will produce more "slowed down" slow mo. Play around with it to figure out how slow you want it.

Remember, slow mo footage is... well... slow. The clips tend to be LONG, so anything you want slowed down make sure it's quick in real life. No one wants to watch a 30 second clip slowed down 4 times. (To 2 minutes...) In the above vid, the clip of the guy walking (2nd clip) was less than 1 second in real life. 

36 minutes ago, RamSatesh said:

Hi guys, I'm filming a music video soon and have some questions. In the music video, I'll be having alittle slow motion just like the video shown below. So should I set the frame rate at 24 fps for that film look or set it at 60 fps then edit it at post production later on? both will be shot at 1080p though :) any help is much appreciated

Link to video:

The reason films shoot in 24 FPS is becuase of cost

4K movie film costs a lot, i mean A LOT

The minimum FPS the human eye needs to detect motion without 'choppyness' is 24FPS.

Movies film at that to save money.

Since yuo are not a big budget production, most likely filming digitaly, i would film everything at 60FPS, except the slow motion shots at 240FPS if your camera can handle that, so you can get 4x Slow-mo at 60FPS< and 8x at 30FPS

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

For me 60fps looks like a home movie. I feel like it has its place, but most work of this kind should be 24/30fps

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

3 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

The reason films shoot in 24 FPS is becuase of cost

4K movie film costs a lot, i mean A LOT

The minimum FPS the human eye needs to detect motion without 'choppyness' is 24FPS.

Movies film at that to save money.

Since yuo are not a big budget production, most likely filming digitaly, i would film everything at 60FPS, except the slow motion shots at 240FPS if your camera can handle that, so you can get 4x Slow-mo at 60FPS< and 8x at 30FPS

Most movies nowadays are filmed digitally so when you're spending that much cash for a professional film camera, having the added expense of going 60FPS is barely a drop in that bucket.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Most movies nowadays are filmed digitally so when you're spending that much cash for a professional film camera, having the added expense of going 60FPS is barely a drop in that bucket.

Not JJ Abrams films.

JJ Abrams films 8K 48 FPS onto film.

The film is then digitized, each frame taking almost and hour, to maximize quality compared to the original.

Then allows CGI to be added in, but still retaining the orginal 8K quality filmed at 48FPS.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

Not JJ Abrams films.

JJ Abrams films 8K 48 FPS onto film.

The film is then digitized, each frame taking almost and hour, to maximize quality compared to the original.

Then allows CGI to be added in, but still retaining the orginal 8K quality filmed at 48FPS.

JJ Abrams is a single director out of many.

Vast majority of films today are shot at 4k at 24FPS on digital cameras.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

if motion blur is done right (which it is on for example camera gear, because it happens naturally) 24FPS is all your eye needs.

and for those telling me i'm wrong, if you have regular ordinary cable tv, turn your tv on and tell me i'm right ;)

The best slow motion presentation is best when shot at the a very-very high framerate. In edit, it can be adjusted in variable speeds to appear at normal speed, or appear slow motion due to the high rate of speed the scene was shot in. Example is the "Vatican Cameos" scene in BBC's Sherlock Holmes episode, A Scandal in Belgravia, when Sherlock opens Irene Adler's safe. 

"The answer comes from a remarkable piece of camera equipment called The Phantom Camera, manufactured by Vision Research. The Phantom series are dedicated HD video cameras designed purely for high speed photography, and record footage at such a fast frame rate - around 750-1000 frames per second - that when it's played back at the normal film speed of 24 frames per second the imagery appears to be moving in extreme slow motion."

(Full story here: http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2012/8/23/vatican-phantom-23082012 )

As for slow-motion scenes, anyone in film can remember The Hurt Locker's IED scene.

3 hours ago, RamSatesh said:

Link to video:

Who's your DoP?  It's his or her job to decide the artistic value of any framerate chosen.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins