Bandwidth Management on Windows Server

Hi guys. Do you have any idea on how can I manage the speed of different computers connected to my network using a dedicated server computer running on Windows Server 2012 r2 ?

Just now, zMeul said:

doesn't Windows Server has built in QoS service?!

Yes, but I want my network to be managed like...   PC1 should get 5mbps max, PC2 should get 2mbps max and so on. :)

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

22 minutes ago, darkwizard06 said:

Thank you for this info sir. :)

Just be aware that without network switch support this will only throttle/QoS outbound traffic from the server. DSCP values are used by switches to put them in to defined QoS queues so if you want inbound QoS you need a switch that support this or has it's own QoS features.

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Just be aware that without network switch support this will only throttle/QoS outbound traffic from the server. DSCP values are used by switches to put them in to defined QoS queues so if you want inbound QoS you need a switch that support this or has it's own QoS features.

So you mean sir that even though I've correctly setup all the parameters in winserver QOS but I am using a non managed switch, a computer that has assigned bandwidth of let's say 2mbps will exceed its maximum allowed bandwidth and probably use more? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, darkwizard06 said:

So you mean sir that even though I've correctly setup all the parameters in winserver QOS but I am using a non managed switch, a computer that has assigned bandwidth of let's say 2mbps will exceed its maximum allowed bandwidth and probably use more? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If your reading data from the server it will be limited to 2mbps but if your writing data to the server it will have no limit.

If your Windows desktop client supports it (most do) you can set the same QoS policies using gpedit.msc, just make sure you set it only for the destination IP of the server or everything will be limited to 2mbps. This will give you the bi-directional QoS your after without full network switch support.

Alternatively if you have a router that dd-wrt supports, you can use QoS and filter by the type of traffic instead of origination (which you can do also). Easier to manage at the gateway vs each individual computer. Actually even stock routers sometimes support some level of QoS out the box.