A Legit 1080p Monitor vs Korean 1440p On a Budget

hanbun_nihonjin

I'm trying to purchase a monitor for around $200 or less because I'm broke after building a PC (it's much more expensive to buy this stuff from the US if you live in Japan). I have a 6700k and an EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked. I know the 1070 is really good for 1440p gaming, so I've been trying to buy a 1440p monitor, but I can't afford an ASUS or a Samsung or something. Pretty much the only 1440p monitor I can afford at this point is one of those infamous Korean ones. However, 1080p ones, of course, are cheaper than 1440p ones, so I reckon I could buy one from an actual reputable company. What should I do? Get a horrible Korean knock-off and get 1440p or a legit 1080p and lose out on that sweet sweet 1440p gaming?

1440p is very nice experience compared to 1080p especially if it's going to be your primary or only display.

Korean monitors aren't terrible and the main tradeoffs are that the colors are usually not as well calibrated, the frame being bulky and not as sturdy, and the stand usually being craptastic. 

As long as the surface of the display is matte, you're probably going to have a good time especially with an aftermarket stand. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Depending on what games you want to play you may want a higher refresh rate over resolution. 

27 minutes ago, hanbun_nihonjin said:

I'm trying to purchase a monitor for around $200 or less because I'm broke after building a PC (it's much more expensive to buy this stuff from the US if you live in Japan). I have a 6700k and an EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked. I know the 1070 is really good for 1440p gaming, so I've been trying to buy a 1440p monitor, but I can't afford an ASUS or a Samsung or something. Pretty much the only 1440p monitor I can afford at this point is one of those infamous Korean ones. However, 1080p ones, of course, are cheaper than 1440p ones, so I reckon I could buy one from an actual reputable company. What should I do? Get a horrible Korean knock-off and get 1440p or a legit 1080p and lose out on that sweet sweet 1440p gaming?

1080p 144hz free-sync $209 + shipping
https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2460PF-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476134942&sr=1-1&keywords=AOC+free-sync

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Thanks a lot, you guys. I'm not too concerned over response time since I don't intend to do any competitive CS:GO gaming or something.

25 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

1440p is very nice experience compared to 1080p especially if it's going to be your primary or only display.

Korean monitors aren't terrible and the main tradeoffs are that the colors are usually not as well calibrated, the frame being bulky and not as sturdy, and the stand usually being craptastic. 

As long as the surface of the display is matte, you're probably going to have a good time especially with an aftermarket stand. 

Thank you. Could I ask for your opinion once more? I found a Korean one that I could afford, but it has a response time of 8 ms. I said above that I don't play competitively or anything, so I wonder if 8 ms is good enough for gaming. Not light gaming either, since that's what I plan to do most of the time -- but no competitive FPS games or anything like that.

6 minutes ago, hanbun_nihonjin said:

Thank you. Could I ask for your opinion once more? I found a Korean one that I could afford, but it has a response time of 8 ms. I said above that I don't play competitively or anything, so I wonder if 8 ms is good enough for gaming. Not light gaming either, since that's what I plan to do most of the time -- but no competitive FPS games or anything like that.

The response time spec is pretty much bull unless it's labelled BTB or WTW, or is from an in-depth benchmark/review due to the lack of regulation on how GTG response time is measured. Ignore it.

Response times for most displays nowadays are quite low--you shouldn't need to worry about it. 

If you want to find out how good the panel is in general, you can look up some reviews.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.