Determining battery life

Coldris

I am looking for a laptop that I use for gaming while plugged in, but I will need a fairly large battery life due to university. Currently, I'm looking at the ASUS Vivobook Pro for $1600, and the Gigabyte P15F for $1399. I can see an obvious difference in the batteries, but I'd like to know how to determine the actual life of the battery under both a gaming load, and a 'microsoft word' load. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacob

your best bet is to look around for reviews. but i imagine you won't get very good battery life considering both of those laptops are high-performance. 

7 minutes ago, Coldris said:

Gigabyte P15F

Which specific revision are you looking at?

And actually for $1600, you can get a fully specced gaming laptop which has a GTX 1060 and about the same weight as the Vivobook but still having 5 hours of battery life. And it doesn't even look gamery.

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np8152-special-clevo-p650rp6/?ex=1

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

42 minutes ago, Coldris said:

I am looking for a laptop that I use for gaming while plugged in, but I will need a fairly large battery life due to university. Currently, I'm looking at the ASUS Vivobook Pro for $1600, and the Gigabyte P15F for $1399. I can see an obvious difference in the batteries, but I'd like to know how to determine the actual life of the battery under both a gaming load, and a 'microsoft word' load. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacob

Actual life is determined by many factors. One is Ah, could be looked at as your "gas tank", but also temprature plays a role, discharge rate, discharge level, charge rate and charge levels. With major corperations they put a lot of research into batteries so they dont explode, so you dont have to worry about discharge/charge. But you do with tempratures. The laptop batteries in most cases used to, and perhaps still are simple 18650 batteries. That number correpsonds to the size of the battery. They have very low discharge rates. But you are interested in the Ah rating, the higher the longer it will last. The way they achieve Ah is parallel strings. The more parallel strings the more Ah, and the higher the discharge rate is. I dont know what the spec is for laptop batteries, but for a 4S4P, means 4 in series that achieves your required voltage, and 4 in parallel which as stated gives Ah, hence 4S4P, but that could be anything. I do not know what configuration laptop batteries come in. It should state in the specs what the battery is. If its a great spec sheet they would list how many parallel strings they got and the Ah rating.

ASUS is 4 cells 3200 mAh

Gigabyte is 6 cells 4.4Ah

Remember you can buy USB power bank for cheap. $25usd gets you 5Ah or even 10Ah. Heck I even see one that is $20 for 50Ah. I would never EVER go with a generic no name brand for this purchase. I had lipo pouches purchased from HobbyKing start popping on me while slow charging, needless to say I lost a 4 pack to fireworks and chucked the rest. $400. Countless stories like this. People losing houses. Luckily I babysat mine. So buy a brand name USB power bank from a national retailer.

Brand names that you recognize, like Sony, Samsung, LG etc etc etc.

You might be able to purchase a higher capacity battery from ASUS or Gigabyte.