Linux nVidia driver problems. PLEASE HELP!

I am running ubuntu 12.04 LTS and need help installing drivers for my 660Ti

How do I install graphics?

Edited by joshuamurphy

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

• 3 weeks later...

"...you will need to install the drivers from a terminal after stopping the login manager, Light DM, and secondly, because you will need to repeat this process every time the Linux kernel is updated by the OS developers." Yeah I think I'm gonna wait till SteamOS. Thanks anyways

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

May I ask why you're going to use a 660 Ti on a Linux machine?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

"...you will need to install the drivers from a terminal after stopping the login manager, Light DM, and secondly, because you will need to repeat this process every time the Linux kernel is updated by the OS developers." Yeah I think I'm gonna wait till SteamOS. Thanks anyways

You can use the first method and the drivers will recompile automatically every time the kernel upgrades.

The easier way is to open the software center, go to edit > software sources... > Aditional drivers and choose the recomended one.

Seems legit to me, the user interface uses a lot of OpenGL features which to me that card would work great.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Seems legit to me, the user interface uses a lot of OpenGL features which to me that card would work great.

I see

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I've already bought it. I picked the 660 Ti because the Nvidia drivers are pretty much the same as on Windows (that's what everyone said) and I really don't know much about Radeon cards. I will seriously consider switching to AMD for my next graphics card if the drivers are excellent and built right into the kernel but my 660 Ti will serve me quite well for quite sometime I think.

Steam

You can use the first method and the drivers will recompile automatically every time the kernel upgrades.

The easier way is to open the software center, go to edit > software sources... > Aditional drivers and choose the recomended one.

cqwUvbr.pngwhere am I meant to be looking?

Steam

where am I meant to be looking?

Oh, I didn't know 12.04 didn't have it there! Later versions incorporate the additional drivers tab in that window.

I think you have to look for the Additional Drivers app (using the unity menu) and, if you do not have it, install from the software center.

(Source: http://askubuntu.com/questions/47506/how-do-i-install-extra-drivers)

Oh, I didn't know 12.04 didn't have it there! Later versions incorporate the additional drivers tab in that window.

I think you have to look for the Additional Drivers app (using the unity menu) and, if you do not have it, install from the software center.

(Source: http://askubuntu.com/questions/47506/how-do-i-install-extra-drivers)

comes up saying there is no drivers in use?

Steam

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

I've done this a few times in the pastn and it never worked for me. Does it work for your config?

Steam

comes up saying there is no drivers in use?

What's the output of

lspci | grep [Vv][Gg][Aa]

Edit: I am just about to upgrade mine from the nvidia website!

I've done this a few times in the pastn and it never worked for me. Does it work for your config?

Yes.

Currently i'm in ubuntu 13.04, it works just fine, but in 12.10 after every kernel update i had to uninstall, install the kernel generic headers and install again.

i had tested it in another distros and it always worked as far as i remember.

Signatures are stupid.

What's the output of

lspci | grep [Vv][Gg][Aa]

Edit: I am just about to upgrade mine from the nvidia website!

$ lspci | grep [Vv][Gg][Aa]

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 660 Ti] (rev a1)

$

Steam

Yes.

Currently i'm in ubuntu 13.04, it works just fine, but in 12.10 after every kernel update i had to uninstall, install the kernel generic headers and install again.

i had tested it in another distros and it always worked as far as i remember.

Hmmm that sounds pretty weird.

Steam

$ lspci | grep [Vv][Gg][Aa]

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 660 Ti] (rev a1)

$

Ok, so it is recognizing your card.

Just to be clear, have you tried the first method in the softpedia link?

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updatessudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install nvidia-currentsudo nvidia-xconfig//Then check again in the additional drivers

If so and it didn't work what error does it give?

Ok, so it is recognizing your card.

Just to be clear, have you tried the first method in the softpedia link?

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updatessudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install nvidia-currentsudo nvidia-xconfig//Then check again in the additional drivers

If so and it didn't work what error does it give?

Followed all the steps you just posted there and it didn't work. I added another screenshot Jzia0xX.png

It just says command not found for the last command. Are you sure that's the right command?

Edited by joshuamurphy

Steam

It just says command not found for the last command. Are you sure that's the right command?

Well, that command should in fact exist, but the problem seems to be elsewhere.

I didn't pay the deserved attention to the fact that the output of lspci indicates that there is an Intel Integrated Graphics Controller present in the system.

This, according to what I have read around the ubuntu forums, help pages and bug reports, means that you are using the Optimus thingie and Ubuntu doesn't support it.

Or that at least you are using the integrated graphics rather than the nvidia card and that may be why it is not showing any drivers.

Now, one way to solve it is to search around how to go about making Optimus work. There is a project that deals with this here: http://bumblebee-project.org/

Another way to solve it is to disable the integrated graphics on the BIOS, which would be the preferred solution.

But now I am kind of curious. I have an i7-3770K and an Nvidia GTX 680 and the output of lspci only shows one VGA compatible controller (the nvidia card). I can't remember if I disabled the integrated graphics on the BIOS or not, but I plugged the monitor to the graphics in the first place. Just out of pure curiosity: what port have you plugged the display to, the one on the motherboard or the one on the graphics card? If you are using the one on the motherboard, can you try plugging it to the graphics card, rebooting (without changing the bios) and trying to see if anything changed and running the commands/checking additional drivers (which would be kind of weird, but still!)?

Well, that command should in fact exist, but the problem seems to be elsewhere.

I didn't pay the deserved attention to the fact that the output of lspci indicates that there is an Intel Integrated Graphics Controller present in the system.

This, according to what I have read around the ubuntu forums, help pages and bug reports, means that you are using the Optimus thingie and Ubuntu doesn't support it.

Or that at least you are using the integrated graphics rather than the nvidia card and that may be why it is not showing any drivers.

Now, one way to solve it is to search around how to go about making Optimus work. There is a project that deals with this here: http://bumblebee-project.org/

Another way to solve it is to disable the integrated graphics on the BIOS, which would be the preferred solution.

But now I am kind of curious. I have an i7-3770K and an Nvidia GTX 680 and the output of lspci only shows one VGA compatible controller (the nvidia card). I can't remember if I disabled the integrated graphics on the BIOS or not, but I plugged the monitor to the graphics in the first place. Just out of pure curiosity: what port have you plugged the display to, the one on the motherboard or the one on the graphics card? If you are using the one on the motherboard, can you try plugging it to the graphics card, rebooting (without changing the bios) and trying to see if anything changed and running the commands/checking additional drivers (which would be kind of weird, but still!)?

It's plugged into the motherboard. Pretty positive that it doesn't even work when I plug it into the 660Ti but I will try next down my computer turns off.

Edit: Isn't bumblebee for laptops anyway?

Edited by joshuamurphy

Steam

It's plugged into the motherboard. Pretty positive that it doesn't even work when I plug it into the 660Ti but I will try next down my computer turns off.

Edit: Isn't bumblebee for laptops anyway?

Well, Ubuntu recognizes that you have a GTX 660 Ti so it would be weird if it didn't work. If it doesn't perhaps there's a problem elsewhere.

Bumblebee if for Nvidia Optimus in Linux, be it in a laptop or desktop. Since Optimus is more aimed at power consumption it is used more in laptops and it is unusual to see that problem with desktops. Hence my suggestion to just disable integrated graphics in the bios.