Did I do a bad?

InsertName

A while ago, I asked for PSU recommendations. By recommendation, I got a 520W seasonic M12II. I got a parts list from my uncle, and he is giving me a FX-9370 and a MSI GTX980Ti. Is this a problem, as PCPartPicker says that they will take 650W. I have already bought the PSU.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, InsertName said:

A while ago, I asked for PSU recommendations. By recommendation, I got a 520W seasonic M12II. I got a parts list from my uncle, and he is giving me a FX-9370 and a MSI GTX980Ti. Is this a problem, as PCPartPicker says that they will take 650W. I have already bought the PSU.

Thanks.

A 9370 is a ridiculous bottleneck but the PSU will be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A 9370 is a ridiculous bottleneck but the PSU will be fine.

I know :/. And to think my uncle has 2 980Tis in SLI. That will be upgraded ASAP.

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

I would recommend getting a better PSU, you are cutting it close

Do what, return it?

Do what, return it?

Can you?

3 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Thanks.

It's borderline but it should be fine (borderline in the sense that you don't want your PSU to run near 100% of its capacity). Consider undervolting the 9370, as it's likely to default to overkill voltages: mine was running above 1.5v at stock values. It's now running at 1.38v while still at stock frequencies. At 1.38v, with 2 R9 280 (similar TDP to the 980ti each) I hit 500W from the wall in somewhat demanding games. You'll probably be in the 300s with that setup, 400 tops without undervolting I believe. So if the 12v rail is strong enough, you're good.

2 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

You'd be better off returning the CPU and get a 95w skylake

Sounds like it was a free CPU though. Yeah, a skylake would fair better but it's better to take into account the user's wants/needs and situation before making recommendations.

14 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Thanks.

Do you already have a motherboard? Better yet, what are all the components you currently already have and what are you looking to do with the PC when built?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Sounds like it was a free CPU though. Yeah, a skylake would fair better but it's better to take into account the user's wants/needs and situation before making recommendations.

Do you already have a motherboard? Better yet, what are all the components you currently already have and what are you looking to do with the PC when built?

wndkjsdnwbdj.PNG

The CPU Cooler, Mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU are all from my uncle. I have a ton of HDDs, I can use those for HDD space. I am only buying the SSD (bought) PSU (bought) and case. I seem to have my priorities straight (That case). This is for gaming, GTA V, etc. I will upgrade it annually.

wndkjsdnwbdj.PNG

The CPU Cooler, Mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU are all from my uncle. I have a ton of HDDs, I can use those for HDD space. I am only buying the SSD (bought) PSU (bought) and case. I seem to have my priorities straight (That case). This is for gaming, GTA V, etc. I will upgrade it annually.

The first thing i would upgrade is that CPU i would switch over to Skylake if i was you.

1 minute ago, Unexas. said:

The first thing i would upgrade is that CPU i would switch over to Skylake if i was you.

The only way to do that is to simultaneously upgrade CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

I think his PSU question can be answered without spending those hundreds of dollars, though, regardless of whether he eventually upgrades to a different PC. 

2 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Seems like you've pretty much got the entire build already. You could return the PSU and get something higher quality and higher power, or just finish that build off and undervolt CPU and possibly underclock the GPU as well (it'll already not draw it's max due to being paired with that CPU). May also not want to add too many HDD's to keep some extra load off the current PSU. Personally, I'd swap the PSU and run the current setup more comfortably for a couple months at least (it's likely to serve your purpose for that unless you want highest settings) and wait for the upcoming CPU releases to see what the CPU market looks like. Would be a better time to upgrade

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

7 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Seems like you've pretty much got the entire build already. You could return the PSU and get something higher quality and higher power, or just finish that build off and undervolt CPU and possibly underclock the GPU as well (it'll already not draw it's max due to being paired with that CPU). May also not want to add too many HDD's to keep some extra load off the current PSU. Personally, I'd swap the PSU and run the current setup more comfortably for a couple months at least (it's likely to serve your purpose for that unless you want highest settings) and wait for the upcoming CPU releases to see what the CPU market looks like. Would be a better time to upgrade

I'll see if I ca return it. If I can, what PSU should I buy?

16 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The only way to do that is to simultaneously upgrade CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

I think his PSU question can be answered without spending those hundreds of dollars, though, regardless of whether he eventually upgrades to a different PC. 

18 minutes ago, InsertName said:

wndkjsdnwbdj.PNG

4 minutes ago, InsertName said:

I'll see if I ca return it. If I can, what PSU should I buy?

@STRMfrmXMN would be better suited for a recommendation here, you could use his post on PSU's linked in his sig for some options. Fyi I wasn't implying your current PSU was of low quality, but you could certainly use higher output so that you don't have to worry about being so close to the edge with it. A 650W actually sounds very nice and a good quality one could pretty much serve for many years so long as you don't plan on running 2 power hungry GPU's (which is pretty much always not as good as having a single better GPU). The EVGA G2 650W would be great, but almost twice as expensive as your current one, so the tier list would be a good reference for other less expensive options that still offer more power. I'd only suggest not going lower than your current PSU, so tier 3 or above, otherwise it wouldn't be as much of an upgrade 

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Ouch, a 220W cpu and a 250W gpu running off a psu that can only do 480W on the +12V rail. Return that shit ASAP.

Source: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page678.htm

Hence the need to undervolt/underclock hardware to give the PSU a snowball's chance, and recommendation to return it. This illustrates the point though

Just now, meenmeen1103 said:

Hence the need to undervolt/underclock hardware to give the PSU a snowball's chance, and recommendation to return it. This illustrates the point though

It will be returned. Problem is - another uncle ordered it for me and he is on holiday until November :/

32 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

@STRMfrmXMN would be better suited for a recommendation here, you could use his post on PSU's linked in his sig for some options. Fyi I wasn't implying your current PSU was of low quality, but you could certainly use higher output so that you don't have to worry about being so close to the edge with it. A 650W actually sounds very nice and a good quality one could pretty much serve for many years so long as you don't plan on running 2 power hungry GPU's (which is pretty much always not as good as having a single better GPU). The EVGA G2 650W would be great, but almost twice as expensive as your current one, so the tier list would be a good reference for other less expensive options that still offer more power. I'd only suggest not going lower than your current PSU, so tier 3 or above, otherwise it wouldn't be as much of an upgrade 

Wait, what are we talking about here? No 980ti system uses 500W on it's own if that's what we're referencing here.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

33 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Ouch, a 220W cpu and a 250W gpu running off a psu that can only do 480W on the +12V rail. Return that shit ASAP.

Source: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page678.htm

It would need a second 250W card to realistically hit 480W under gaming loads.

The only way a single 980ti + FX 9370 are going to hit 480W is running Prime95 and Unigine benchmark simultaneously.

Wait, what are we talking about here? No 980ti system uses 500W on it's own if that's what we're referencing here.

I tagged you accepting your word to be better than mine on this, and admitted I'd personally change the 520W for a more powerful ~650W PSU when combining an FX-9370 with a 980ti (as several others have recommended), along with the rest of the system including several HDD (which would only add about 10W load each). If we're wrong, that's good for OP, less hassle

So OP, sorry I'm an ass and wasted time, go with the very first comment

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I tagged you accepting your word to be better than mine on this, and admitted I'd personally change the 520W for a more powerful ~650W PSU when combining an FX-9370 with a 980ti (as several others have recommended), along with the rest of the system including several HDD (which would only add about 10W load each). If we're wrong, that's good for OP, less hassle

Well it's gonna be fine for the time being but I'd certainly advise OP to get an i5 or i7

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

So OP, sorry I'm an ass and wasted time, go with the very first comment

No. You are most certainly not. You have helped alot, and I can only thank you.

Well it's gonna be fine for the time being but I'd certainly advise OP to get an i5 or i7

Any £500-£600 CPU+RAM+mobo combos? I'd need a decent amount of RAM- video editing.