Spotify is serving malware-infested ads to its users

1. Install uBlock Origin

2. play.spotify.com 

3. Profit in the form of a minimal reduction in stupidity

2 minutes ago, captainespinoza said:

1. Install uBlock Origin

2. play.spotify.com 

3. Profit in the form of a minimal reduction in stupidity

Isn't that a browser plugin?  You don't use this in the browser like Google Play Music, it's a desktop app.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

If that's how they're gonna be, It's a good thing I'm not a motherfucking customer at all and won't start anytime soon.

Saying "good thing I have premium" is akin to say "Good thing I have enough fucking ransom money!", just...No.

Well sort of. I have premium as well and I have the same thought process of "well I'm not going to stop paying for this just because of this". What you're describing would be if someone started paying for premium because of their malicious ads, which I hope no one would ever do. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

24 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Isn't that a browser plugin?  You don't use this in the browser like Google Play Music, it's a desktop app.

It's both. The browser player works just like Google Play Music. 

Just now, Spork829 said:

It's both. The browser player works just like Google Play Music. 

Isn't it Flash though?  I actually don't know, but I recently saw something that makes me think it is... and if it is, adblockers wouldn't stop things within the swf... I don't think.  Would they?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Isn't it Flash though?  I actually don't know, but I recently saw something that makes me think it is... and if it is, adblockers wouldn't stop things within the swf... I don't think.  Would they?

Huh, it does appear to run on flash (I didn't know either, never use it). And I have no idea if an adblocker would work on ads within that.

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Huh, it does appear to run on flash (I didn't know either, never use it). And I have no idea if an adblocker would work on ads within that.

In theory that's safer since, being Flash, it should offer an extra layer of isolation between the system and any content the swf is accessing... however, Flash has been known to have a security vulnerability or two before xD 

Here's the 'adware' that Dr Safety and Malwarebytes keeps trying to erase, but after every restart it comes back lol. 

346e348ba0ce2453fd5551d93301caec.png

i mean, i get around ads on spotify free on pc anyway by using EZBlocker, which mutes and skips all ads, so it's like premium, only with no premium music streaming and no offline mode. but when it comes to mobile, there are times where i wished i had premium, like the interface is so limited it drives me crazy.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I've said this before, so I'll say it again...

Once the advertising companies start giving a fuck and actually start screening the adverts they are given to dispense to specific websites to check for any malicious payloads and crap that pisses people off then all will be fine and good with the world of the interweb.

Also, can't you block adblock plus adverts by having the non obtrusive ads box unchecked (the only thing that is pissing me off regarding ABP is that the filters have the odd habit of blocking some general website elements thinking that their adverts).

On 2016-10-06 at 4:52 AM, Techkalakosis said:

Spotifad would inject ads into your brain while you're on your deathbed to make an extra buck. We need laws on Advertisements because they're getting out of hand. We also need advertisement profiles without utilization of cookies and such so ads are more personalized to your searches.

I don't mind ads I'm interested in, but Spotifad is the king of raping your ears with the most annoying, ear shattering, and unrelated ads out there. "What's this? You're enjoying some System of a Down? Oh, how about a Digsters top love songs playlist!" "What's this? You're smashing your head through the wall to some Slayer? How about a Don't shake your baby ad, with a baby squalling in the background for 30 seconds straight!" 

-Sorry for the screwy font, I Ctrl + V'ed on the wrong tab and it took the font aaand now I can't fix it. 

Ooh, poor you, getting many millions of free songs legally, but having to listen to a few short ads every now and then! Would you like them to pay you money as well, maybe bring you some pizza while they're at it?

14 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

Ooh, poor you, getting many millions of free songs legally, but having to listen to a few short ads every now and then! Would you like them to pay you money as well, maybe bring you some pizza while they're at it?

Millions of free songs legally? You mean if you can survive the maddeningly annoying and off putting advertisements right? You must not listen to music very much. How would you like it if you're enjoying some nice music, then all of a sudden you get WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH don't shake your WAAAAAAAAAAH, baby. WAAAAAAAAAAH, WAAAAAAAAAH. For 30 damn seconds straight. That's just one of them. That's not an ad.
You know how they got that baby to squall? They shook the crap out of it!  

I will never use spotify again after what they've been doing lately. The ads used to be bearable. Now I just live without space on my phone if I want music. Oh, not to mention ads on PC, the ever so lovely bandwidth sucking video ads that ARE INSANELY LOUD AND MAKE YOU THINK IN CAPITAL LETTERS FOR THE REST OF THE DAY BECAUSE YOU CAN'T HEAR. 
Yeah, annoying ain't it?