Win10 LTSB edition - Any of you using it?

t33to

I just learned about LTSB edition and am thinking about switching to it from Win7u. Thought I'd ask if any of you guys are running it and whether or not your Win10 experience has been more favourable.

I'm just running plain Windows 10 Pro build 1607 on everything. Can't really be happier.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've been on Windows 10 since the beginning of the Insider Preview program shortly after Windows 10 was launched.

It's had it's ups and downs, but since the 1607 Anniversary update, I've been very happy with it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

The OP was asking specifically about the LTSB version guys, not the regular consumer one.

The LTSB really can't be compared to the regular or the pro Win10, seeing as it's completely stripped of all the BS and only gets the most important updates. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 8:34 PM, Captain Chaos said:

The OP was asking specifically about the LTSB version guys, not the regular consumer one.

The LTSB really can't be compared to the regular or the pro Win10, seeing as it's completely stripped of all the BS and only gets the most important updates. 

Yeah, exactly. I want to know how much better it might be, I presume it's much much better than regular Win 10.

5 hours ago, t33to said:

Yeah, exactly. I want to know how much better it might be, I presume it's much much better than regular Win 10.

It's pretty similar to how old Windows versions worked.  You get security updates and bug fixes, but no added features.  Like how if you wanted Aero and the things that came with it you had to upgrade from XP to Vista. 

With regular Windows 10 that doesn't matter since Windows 10 is the "last" version of Windows; you get security updates, bug fixes, and new features.  In LTSB you jut get security updates and bug fixes.  Once whenever Microsoft seems fit (I assume after a lot of bug fixing) they will update the LTSB to the CB (current branch) and continue only doing security updates and bug fixes until they do another update to CB.  I would assume its similar to how 8 updated to 8.1.

I've setup two boxes with LTSB, one headache you'll face is consumer driven software(applications/games) which tap into current branch might either have issues due to missing functions or won't work at all(Anniversary Update is a major service patch).  Several games actually required Windows 10 Anniversary Update for important low-level performance tweaks to DirectX and memory management---I'm quite sure there are other Anniversary Update specific tweaks which benefited consumer software too.

6 hours ago, t33to said:

I want to know how much better it might be, I presume it's much much better than regular Win 10.

There is less breakage for pre-Win10 software but there are uglier bugs in earlier builds of Win10 so you're trading bleeding edge for a dull razor.  I'd only recommend the long-term option if you deal with older software+drivers, audio software such as Pro Tools which takes forever to certify OSes/service patches & hobbyist tools.

Personally I can't use Windows 10 for technical work as both sides of the support base has their own unique set of issues to deal with.

1 hour ago, PaintChips said:

I've setup two boxes with LTSB, one headache you'll face is consumer driven software(applications/games) which tap into current branch might either have issues due to missing functions or won't work at all(Anniversary Update is a major service patch).  Several games actually required Windows 10 Anniversary Update for important low-level performance tweaks to DirectX and memory management---I'm quite sure there are other Anniversary Update specific tweaks which benefited consumer software too.

There is less breakage for pre-Win10 software but there are uglier bugs in earlier builds of Win10 so you're trading bleeding edge for a dull razor.  I'd only recommend the long-term option if you deal with older software+drivers, audio software such as Pro Tools which takes forever to certify OSes/service patches & hobbyist tools.

Personally I can't use Windows 10 for technical work as both sides of the support base has their own unique set of issues to deal with.

Thank you. Very informative.

What OS do you use?

On 10/22/2016 at 5:29 AM, t33to said:

What OS do you use?

My Core 2 Quad dual-boots Vista 32-bit & Windows 8.1 64-bit as I use a COM/Serial port for chip programming & debug tasks--Win10 free upgrade was too problematic for certain tools & Vista 32-bit runs XP era tools better vs Win7/8 compatibility tab.  My main workstation triple boots Linux, Win7 Pro & 10, I'm mostly able to use Linux unless a certain toolkit requires a 32-bit Windows or Win7/8.