Windows 8.1 Upgrade...Fail!

CrzyChinook

Good God.. ok i got 8.1 to install but after the first boot up i noticed the brand new graphics drivers were no longer installed.. so i tried to re install the drivers which seem to work untill i restarted the machine.. now all i get is a blank black screen.. so i went in to safe mode.. go there no prob.. and i have messed with the display drivers and cannot get it to do a normal reboot to display... crazy thing is that the windows logo comes up but after that nothing.. on a side note i noticed that my monitor is in the deivce manger with a yellow triangle... wtf.. is it the monitor drivers that are screwed up?? and i cant even do a restore cause it wiped all the win8 restore points!! ugghh im stump..

PC SPECIFICATIONS: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor  3.70 GHz ; MSI B550G Edge Wi-Fi ATX ; 16gb (2x8gb)  Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3600 RGB ; MSI GeForce RTX 3060 3x12gb ;  darkFlash Phantom with Custom Phanteks D-RGB 120 (6EA) ; Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition ; 1tb M.2 Kingston , 2tb Seagate Barricuda, 4 TB Seagate ; Corsair Gaming Series GS700W

PERIPHERALS:Razer BlackWidow V3 ;  Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro ;  Razer Leviathan V2 X

TABLET: Ipad 12.9 Pro  PHONE: Iphone 12

Hmm that's strange. Well uninstall the drivers in Safe Mode, same for your monitor (right-click uninstall for that one), and reboot your system.

Then have it check for update.

If that doesn't help, install Nvidia latest beta drivers for 8.1, and check the box to do a clean install.

nope used 331.40 beta drivers.. im done.. i got to leave tomorrow for 14 day hitch ill screw with it when i get back.. ill prob just go back to straight 8...grrr maybe i just need to wait to install 8.1 till MS gets all the bugs worked out.. thanks for your help ill hit ya up when i get back 

PC SPECIFICATIONS: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor  3.70 GHz ; MSI B550G Edge Wi-Fi ATX ; 16gb (2x8gb)  Kingston FURY Beast DDR4-3600 RGB ; MSI GeForce RTX 3060 3x12gb ;  darkFlash Phantom with Custom Phanteks D-RGB 120 (6EA) ; Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition ; 1tb M.2 Kingston , 2tb Seagate Barricuda, 4 TB Seagate ; Corsair Gaming Series GS700W

PERIPHERALS:Razer BlackWidow V3 ;  Razer DeathAdder V2 Pro ;  Razer Leviathan V2 X

nope used 331.40 beta drivers.. im done.. i got to leave tomorrow for 14 day hitch ill screw with it when i get back.. ill prob just go back to straight 8...grrr maybe i just need to wait to install 8.1 till MS gets all the bugs worked out.. thanks for your help ill hit ya up when i get back 

I am thinking a driver conflict, that is why you had all these trouble, and that might explain why Windows 8.1 have a problem with your monitor, which normally makes no sense to have a problem with.

In any case, 2 weeks from now, more polished drivers will be released. So you win in any case.

No major problem like that here with 8.1

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

• 4 weeks later...

Well i reinstalled windows 8 from scratch.. then add the Media Center.. then after just a few drivers.. went to..Update win 8.1... it would download to 50 percent and then fail... tried all the tricks and tips to get it to load.. after a few hours.. it did it by itself.. finished installing.. everything looks great.. tilll.... i rebooted next morn.. and BLAMO... back to it booting up and seeing the window logo.. and thennnnnn nothing but black...WTF.. guess im redoing and sticking with windows 8 for a while longer .. its something with the video out put that is the issue but i have the latest and greatest drivers ...i just dont know what to do from here...any body have suggestions?

So far I had no problems other than windows wouldn't allow me to re-download from there website for some odd reason because got two copies of windows 8 pro registered under the same account. Eventually was able to install windows 8 pro and need to re add my key for the media center  

CPU:Intel i7 2700k OC @4.9Ghz cooled by custom water loop with xpsc dual240 rads, xpsc block and 750 pump/res|Ram:G-Skill RipJaw X 32GB 1866Mhz|Case: Corsair 750D|Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Z77| Hard drive: 240GB Kingston SSD, Seagate 2TB, 1TB Hitachi |GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC cooled by custom water loop with xpsc gtx 770 block|PSU: Corsair HX750|Monitor: LG 27 inch IPS LED Cinema| Sound Card: Creative Fatal1ty X-FI professional| Build log:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64792-just-finished-off-first-watercooled-rig/

Well i reinstalled windows 8 from scratch.. then add the Media Center.. then after just a few drivers.. went to..Update win 8.1... it would download to 50 percent and then fail... tried all the tricks and tips to get it to load.. after a few hours.. it did it by itself.. finished installing.. everything looks great.. tilll.... i rebooted next morn.. and BLAMO... back to it booting up and seeing the window logo.. and thennnnnn nothing but black...WTF.. guess im redoing and sticking with windows 8 for a while longer .. its something with the video out put that is the issue but i have the latest and greatest drivers ...i just dont know what to do from here...any body have suggestions?

I had that issue with windows 8.1  pro media centre when installing bf4. Just put the dvi cable back in again and started working. Although I did turn off fastboot which made no difference at all.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong so now downgraded back to 8 and haven't had any issues so far

CPU:Intel i7 2700k OC @4.9Ghz cooled by custom water loop with xpsc dual240 rads, xpsc block and 750 pump/res|Ram:G-Skill RipJaw X 32GB 1866Mhz|Case: Corsair 750D|Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Z77| Hard drive: 240GB Kingston SSD, Seagate 2TB, 1TB Hitachi |GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC cooled by custom water loop with xpsc gtx 770 block|PSU: Corsair HX750|Monitor: LG 27 inch IPS LED Cinema| Sound Card: Creative Fatal1ty X-FI professional| Build log:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64792-just-finished-off-first-watercooled-rig/

• 5 months later...

So I decided to put off win 8.1 until the 8.1 update 1 was around...I have 2 PCs:

1. an old one which has updated from 8->8.1->update1 ... All good!

The second PC is a new PC(in my Sig). I cant even get from 8->8.1 - it gets the update from windows store then it installs.. Tells me to reboot then I get a black screen for 30 mins+. Every time I try I get a nv driver file error or simply the error code everyone else is getting. M$ make a big song and dance about how amazing 8.1 update 1 is and we don't get it after a certain date or something? Something smells fishy.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I finally got it to install..I think it had to do with my hard drive..Seagate solid state hybrid..750 gb

Sent from my KickAss HTC One

WOW interesting.

So this is a secondary HDD that you removed, and now it installed?

Also, thank you for the update.

WOW interesting.

So this is a secondary HDD that you removed, and now it installed?

Also, thank you for the update.

I couldn't figure it out to save my life till I swap hard drive to a wd650.. it was a complete build from scratch..Idk..but it works now with no issue

Sent from my KickAss HTC One