Asus Z170A control 3 pin fans via 4 pin hub? TYY

Hey guys!! I've recently put together a pc build and I'm not quite familiar with fans. My motherboard is the Asus-Z170A and I have the in win 303 case. So I have 7 fans in total (I know that's an absurd amount of fans but it does look awesome with it xD.) And that is the Thermaltake Riing 3 pin fans. Since i have so much, I was wondering if a Silverstone Fan hub of 4 pins control all my 3 pin fans? I sort of have mix answers of it running in 100% and some say it can control via voltage. Perhaps via Fan Xpert or Speedfan? Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Lazyb0ne said:

Hey guys!! I've recently put together a pc build and I'm not quite familiar with fans. My motherboard is the Asus-Z170A and I have the in win 303 case. So I have 7 fans in total (I know that's an absurd amount of fans but it does look awesome with it xD.) And that is the Thermaltake Riing 3 pin fans. Since i have so much, I was wondering if a Silverstone Fan hub of 4 pins control all my 3 pin fans? I sort of have mix answers of it running in 100% and some say it can control via voltage. Perhaps via Fan Xpert or Speedfan? Thanks!

No the 4 pin silverstone hub will not work as it will only run them at the full 12V speed. If you want to control the fans via the motherboard you will need to get splitters and split them up around different headers on the motherboard to not overload a single header with that many fans. Depending on the fans usually a good rule of thumb is no more than 3-4 fans per header to not exceed the 1 amp capacity. 

2 minutes ago, Lazyb0ne said:

@Jorgen297 Sooo thats how it looks like now :D

@W-L That's quite disappointing ;[ So I should get something like this?  

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Splitter-Connector-Sleeved-Adapter/dp/B00DYQSZ68/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475550295&sr=1-5&keywords=fan+splitter

Yes splitters or PCB based splitters like theses will work, just remember to not to put too many fans on one header and to have it configured in the BIOS to be DC voltage control for the 3 pin fans.

https://modmymods.com/4-pin-pwm-power-distribution-pcb-4-way-block-fan-hub-power-splitter-co322.html

Thank you so much! Also I have a question, on what does it mean when a motherboard fan headers are backward compatible?

1 minute ago, Lazyb0ne said:

Thank you so much! Also I have a question, on what does it mean when a motherboard fan headers are backward compatible?

Not sure what it's referring to there other than it being able to use both 3 pin and 4 pin fans which all headers can, it just depends if it can control the speed of it. 

Ohh the link you referred me to, is for 4 pin though. I gotta find a 3 pin splitter right? 

1 minute ago, Lazyb0ne said:

Ohh the link you referred me to, is for 4 pin though. I gotta find a 3 pin splitter right? 

That splitter isn't an issue as it is directly takes power from the header as long as it's setup as DC voltage control and isn't power separately like the silverstone unit.

I actually came across a lot of these low noise adapters that came with the fans. Would these help me from making the fans go full speed? These won't help me control the fans right?

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SRC10-Accessory-Low-Noise-Adaptors/dp/B00KG3KELQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475559394&sr=8-1&keywords=low+noise+adapters

7 minutes ago, Lazyb0ne said:

I came across someone from amazon, and they suggest using low noise adapters to change the voltage. Do you think it possible if I use these? 

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SRC10-Accessory-Low-Noise-Adaptors/dp/B00KG3KELQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475559394&sr=8-1&keywords=low+noise+adapters

The reason is I actually have a lot of these. TYY

It's possible but your motherboard supports DC voltage control and PWM control on all headers so it could manage everything, those usually are best for fans that are directly power from the PSU. 

buy PHANTEKS PWM FAN HUB to control 3 pin fans with PWM

I have it, it works