Steam Guard Emails

Alec_FC

For the past 5 months I've been getting these "Steam login attempt" emails, I've changed my password multiple times and formatted my PC, here are some of the IP addresses: (201.173.223.224) (95.181.182.128) and (185.101.68.17)

What the hell is happening?

You have been hacked son

3 minutes ago, Alec_FC said:

For the past 5 months I've been getting these "Steam login attempt" emails, I've changed my password multiple times and formatted my PC, here are some of the IP addresses: (201.173.223.224) (95.181.182.128) and (185.101.68.17)

What the hell is happening?

Someone is probably trying to hack you contact steam I suggest. 

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

You have been hacked son

I got a new PC last month, I haven't downloaded anything suspicious, my old PC doesn't get turned on...

I run a Virus scan and Malwarebytes weekly

I've changed password multiple times

It seems to happen about once a month

Just now, GBELILREESE said:

Someone is probably trying to hack you contact steam I suggest. 

I tried, they responded with the generic "change your passwords and run a virus scan" nonsense

1 minute ago, Alec_FC said:

I tried, they responded with the generic "change your passwords and run a virus scan" nonsense

The ip comes from various locations. Do you do something suspecious online in Steam?

Just now, Alec_FC said:

Not sure what else you can do. Just make a super hard password and perhaps set up backup security. I think you can add a cellphone reset number? 

It could probably be a friend playing a joke on you or something. 

Looks like you're being hacked by mexicans, luckily Trump plans to build a wall. 

1 minute ago, GBELILREESE said:

Not sure what else you can do. Just make a super hard password and perhaps set up backup security. I think you can add a cellphone reset number? 

It could probably be a friend playing a joke on you or something. 

My password is pretty complicated, a friend would't have the email noreply@steampowered.com, my 2 step verification is on

2 minutes ago, GBELILREESE said:

Looks like you're being hacked by mexicans, luckily Trump plans to build a wall. 

We need to build a firewall!!

2 minutes ago, Alec_FC said:

Get 2FA

Hello

2 minutes ago, Alec_FC said:

Jokes aside you probably shouldn't have any banking information or paypal saved to your steam account if you do get hacked.  =/

moved to Programs, Apps & Websites

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I've had 2FA on for ages, should I just ignore it?

All their telling you is that someone attempted to access your steam account, but was unable to because they didn't get the password correct after a set amount of attempts.

There's nothing that needs to be done since whomever attempted to gain access hasn't, and since you have 2FA enabled they wouldn't be able to gain access unless they have access to the device used to receive the authentication code.

3 hours ago, demonix00 said:

All their telling you is that someone attempted to access your steam account, but was unable to because they didn't get the password correct after a set amount of attempts.

There's nothing that needs to be done since whomever attempted to gain access hasn't, and since you have 2FA enabled they wouldn't be able to gain access unless they have access to the device used to receive the authentication code.

No, someone had the correct password, it's just they needed to enter the code that came with the Email, as part of the 2FA

16 hours ago, Alec_FC said:

My password is pretty complicated, a friend would't have the email noreply@steampowered.com, my 2 step verification is on

4 hours ago, Alec_FC said:

No, someone had the correct password, it's just they needed to enter the code that came with the Email, as part of the 2FA

Its still nothing to worry about. They can't access account without security code. Just make sure that you have 2FA for email too. I think Steam allow reset for mobile auth over email. Not sure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, Alec_FC said:

Did you change the password on the same computer each time?

If so, then it's likely that has been compromised with a keylogger which is why they've been able to get part the password part of the log in but have stalled there because of the 2FA on the account (so they at least don't have access to the email account that the code is sent to), so I would suggest doing a virus scan to see if anything shows up but I would suggest if there isn't anything that isn't backed up on it is to completely nuke the OS install and reinstall it from scratch and use another computer to change the password in the meantime (if you want to be 100% sure that they can't get any further password changes).