High ping affect online gaming ?

jjohnthedon1

so I'm playing bf4 and under the signal Colum on the stats table mine is 240 

is this some kind of disadvantage for online gaming ? 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Does it mean people with 10 in the Colum see things 0.23 of a second before me ?

also (1600) 

3 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

so I'm playing bf4 and under the signal Colum on the stats table mine is 240 

is this some kind of disadvantage for online gaming ? 

It is a huge disadvantage for FPS to have high ping

1 minute ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Does it mean people with 10 in the Colum see things 0.23 of a second before me ?

What they are seeing is in real time.

What you are seeing is what happened 0.23 seconds ago.

This means, if someone pops out form a corner, shoots and kills you in less than 0.2 seconds, you would not even see him coming, and you would be dead before you could react

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

2 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

If your not accounting for other latencys like monitor latency and proccing time then i think you are technichly correct.

Just now, jjohnthedon1 said:

You see things .23 seconds after people, and people may not even be able to hit you depending on how the game enigne works. 

Really for online fps games you want 100ms ping max, you may get banned/reported because of the high ping on that server since it will give you a slight advantage because you can hit people, and they can't hit you.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

It is a huge disadvantage for FPS to have high ping

What they are seeing is in real time.

What you are seeing is what happened 0.23 seconds ago.

This means, if someone pops out form a corner, shoots and kills you in less than 0.2 seconds, you would not even see him coming, and you would be dead before you could react

So I need better internet ?

also (1600) 

Yes. It is essentially the latency between your computer and the game server. The high the latency, the more delay and "lag" you will experience. 

Not necessarily. But in general, it means that what you see is going to be slightly behind what people with better ping are seeing. The actual visual delay isn't too much of an issue, it's more of an issue when you hit something on your screen, but to the sever that didn't happen, as the object you think you hit was actually somewhere else. 

It is not likely your connection.

It is most likely due to you living far away from where the multiplayer servers are located

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

A ok I get it now

my gameplay is still smooth tho 

so does it really matter that much ?

also (1600) 

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

It is not likely your connection.

It is most likely due to you living far away from where the multiplayer servers are located

Will not downloading why playing help ? 

also (1600) 

Ping is often dependant on how many hops it takes and how far a signal has to travel to get to its destination. Most "better" internet services will increase your bandwidth, but the latency will be the same. Switching to a closer server is normally a better choice. For example, playing on an Australian server from the US is going to have bad ping regardless of how good your internet connection is, as the signal has to make a lot of hops and has to go a long distance. 

Will not downloading why playing help ? 

That depends. Having a download running won't increase your ping directly, but it can do if it's using a lot of bandwidth, causing the packets being sent to the server to be delayed waiting for a chance to be sent. 

2 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

A ok I get it now

my gameplay is still smooth tho 

so does it really matter that much ?

Depends what game you're playing. For an FPS or fast reaction game like CS:GO and Rocket League, it makes a big difference. For a turn based game, PvE MMO and such, it's not so much of an issue. 

Not really.

The thing is your Connection MUST be stable, you get pings from your ISP Gateway to the route to Gaming Servers Gateway, so the more hops there are, the high ping you get but if your connection is stable, you wont notice any issues.

As we people in Pakistan, sadly we do not have Direct or near server gateways for games like CSGO, COD, BF.

So in CSGO we get pings 130-150 ( not fluctuating, some gets 130 stable and some 150 depending in which city you are).

We even 1 tap Headshot in CSGO with 130ms.

In rocket league our ping is 180-200 ( stable ) but there is no desync.
So Yes you get high ping if you are faaaar from Servers like we are but if your connection is stable, you wont get issues while gaming. 

Also i want to mention, its also depends upon your ISP Routing n stuff.
Here we have different ISPs which 1 give you 100+ms in EU servers 

where others give you 30-40ms in EU servers.
So it is always best to get info about pings n stuff from your friends or who are using that internet before getting connection. 

PS: My personal shots under 130ms stable connection:

( tho it was my first try in sony vegas so i messed up some frames :D )

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

23 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Really for online fps games you want 100ms ping max, you may get banned/reported because of the high ping on that server since it will give you a slight advantage because you can hit people, and they can't hit you.

The scenario you are mentioning are in which an person having 200+ ping and dsyncing around in Servers kills others while others cant see you or may see you teleporting here and there.
This is because connection is not stable.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

1 minute ago, Waqas409 said:

The scenario you are mentioning are in which an person having 200+ ping and dsyncing around in Servers kills others while others cant see you or may see you teleporting here and there.

Yes it is usually seen as people teleporting, or the person's hitbox doesn't match up to the character.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

Yes it is usually seen as people teleporting, or the person's hitbox doesn't match up to the character.

Yes thats what im clearing it out.

A Person having 130 ping but with stable internet is fine with others who have 20-90 pings ( depending upon their region ) 
But When it comes to desync/rubber banding/teleporing, things get worst.