upgrade pc of my dad for 300-400€

Gnomo

Hello

Since I got my new PC almost done (I hope Asus will let me have my Mainboard soon 9_9) it is time to use the old parts.
My dad will take that pc and wants to use 300 to max. 400 Euros to improve the performance of the machine.

MB:Asus P8B75-M
CPU: i5-3570k

GPU: igpu
Cooler: some xilence cooler <120mm
RAM: 16gb DDR3 1600 Corsair
HDD: 160GB Seagate
SSD: none (thinking of 750/850 EVO)
PSU: be quiet Power Zone 750W
Case: Fujitsu Scaleo P

Thanks already for all answers!
He wants it for office and some racing games, we want to play project cars together. He will play in 1080p and the settings would be nice at medium if possible.

A GTX 1060 6GB and a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. Done.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

A GTX 1060 6GB and a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. Done.

the CPU is good, DDR3 is good, agreed, not much to change, only GPU + SSD will do a cheap huge difference

I am a bit worried about the cooler and the case, it is pretty warm already without gpu. 60 °C +
My idea would be the following with 89€ left for a case (should be nothing fancy, no window etc. needed) and a new cpu cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For €0.00)
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M/CSM Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (Purchased For €0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For €0.00)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For €0.00)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 470 8GB NITRO+ Video Card  (€251.49 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: be quiet! POWER ZONE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For €0.00)
Total: €311.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 14:04 CEST+0200

10 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

-snip-

Project Cars plays badly on AMD cards. I would be going for NVIDIA in this scenario.

I've opted for the GTX 1060 6GB and the Fractal Design Define S which is a fantastic case.

Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Compact Video Card  (€266.09 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  (€73.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €399.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 14:19 CEST+0200

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Project Cars plays badly on AMD cards. I would be going for NVIDIA in this scenario.

I've opted for the GTX 1060 6GB and the Fractal Design Define S which is a fantastic case.

Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€59.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Compact Video Card  (€266.09 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  (€73.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €399.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 14:19 CEST+0200

Good idea, but in the 400 we definitly need a new cpu cooler, so either a 3GB 1060  or a cheaper case. Sorry I have to say so 400 is max.
I like your idea a lot, but I think the case has to be cheaper, because a 3GB 1060 is nothing for the future (his last own pc is a Athlon X2 with 2GB DDR2)
So I would like to take the money for the 6GB 1060, his next upgrade will take a few years I believe. (Most likely till my i7-6700k has not enough power for me and is a bottleneck)

3 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

Good idea, but in the 400 we definitly need a new cpu cooler, so either a 3GB 1060  or a cheaper case. Sorry I have to say so 400 is max.

I like your idea a lot, but I think the case has to be cheaper, because a 3GB 1060 is nothing for the future (his last own pc is a Athlon X2 with 2GB DDR2)

So I would like to take the money for the 6GB 1060, his next upgrade will take a few years I believe. (Most likely till my i7-6700k has not enough power for me and is a bottleneck)

What's wrong with the CPU cooler? You could try reapplying thermal paste and reseating it.

If you're that concerned about the cooler (you shouldn't be), here's what I suggest. Goes over budget by €3 but I trust that won't be too much of a problem?

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€30.79 @ Aquatuning) 
Video Card: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Compact Video Card  (€266.04 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€46.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €403.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 14:34 CEST+0200

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

What's wrong with the CPU cooler? You could try reapplying thermal paste and reseating it.

If you're that concerned about the cooler (you shouldn't be), here's what I suggest. Goes over budget by €3 but I trust that won't be too much of a problem?

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€30.79 @ Aquatuning) 
Video Card: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Compact Video Card  (€266.04 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (€46.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €403.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 14:34 CEST+0200

3€ won't be a problem xD
it is about not ending at 700€
When everything fits in the new case this looks like a good build for the bucks, but I will also first try to reapply thermal paste and reseat that cooler. Could help after those years since I bought the i5 pretty much at release.

Thanks for the advice.

Looking a the case, I can see no particular reason to worry about cooling, provided you have a (proper size) fan at the rear. If your particular unit doesn't have a fan at the rear put a 120mm (or whatever fits) fan blowing out.

For a CPU cooler, I'd suggest a basic CM Hyper 101i (if re-doing the current one doesn't help). (and assuming you're not going to overclock).

Also, in this situation, you can probably get away with just using a single 250Gig SSD and leave out the HDD. (less noise and heat)

For a graphics card, an RX 460 or 470 should do.

EDIT - looking at pictures of the case again, it's hard to tell exactly which picture is correct, or maybe it comes in a few varieties. Some show a fan on the side, some show no fans, some show a fan at the rear. :/

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

6 minutes ago, Quaker said:

Looking a the case, I can see no particular reason to worry about cooling, provided you have a (proper size) fan at the rear. If your particular unit doesn't have a fan at the rear put a 120mm (or whatever fits) fan blowing out.

For a CPU cooler, I'd suggest a basic CM Hyper 101i (if re-doing the current one doesn't help).

Also, in this situation, you can probably get away with just using a single 250Gig SSD and leave out the HDD. (less noise and heat)

It has no rear fan atm, you think any 120mm would do? Thinking about a shadow wings then.
I will do the reseating probably next weekend when we get the machine running again.
We will see how it works out with SSD and the HDD, thanks for advice still!

6 minutes ago, Quaker said:

3 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Well, what to go for now? 1060 6GB or 470 Nitro+?

9 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

The GTX 1060 6GB. Far superior than the GTX 1060 6GB is already significantly more powerful. Considering how badly AMD cards run Project Cars, the GTX 1060 would be an infinitely better choice.

Spoiler

https://www.cnet.com/products/fujitsu-scaleo-p-athlon-64-3500-plus-monitor-none-series/specs/

there you have the original pc where it started and where the case and hdd are from xD

25 minutes ago, Quaker said:

For a CPU cooler, I'd suggest a basic CM Hyper 101i (if re-doing the current one doesn't help). (and assuming you're not going to overclock).

EDIT - looking at pictures of the case again, it's hard to tell exactly which picture is correct, or maybe it comes in a few varieties. Some show a fan on the side, some show no fans, some show a fan at the rear. :/

21 hours ago, Gnomo said:

If Project Cars actually plays badly on AMD cards, and cost isn't a factor, then get the GTX-1060. There's also supposed to be a GTX-1050 coming out soon.

If you tend to like AMD, just look into reviews of P.Cars and see just how "badly" it plays on AMD. It may be only a few FPS ..... hmm .....from what I can find, there's not a great difference and the tests were run on older nVidia 900 series and AMD R7/R9 cards. 

So, I'd say that, unless you can find actual reviews that involve nVidia 1xxx and AMD RX series cards, get whichever brand you like.

One thing I did notice is that P.C. is very hardware intensive. You may have some performance issues with the older i5-3570K, so that the CPU is more of a limitation than the graphics card. In which case the actual graphics card might not matter that much.

P.C. seems to be one of the few games that actually recommends an i7. 

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD