Nvidia announces Volta based "Xavier" SOC with 512 CUDA corres, 20W TDP

ChickenCake248

WCCFTech article

It comes with 512 CUDA cores that are based on the Volta GPU architecture. This is a substantial bit as Volta has now been confirmed to be available in 2017. On the CPU side, the chip boasts 8 Custom ARM64 cores

Also, NVIDIA mentioned some performance numbers for Xavier. The chip is said to feature up to 20 DLTOPs worth of performance at a TDP of 20W. This will be achieved on a single SOC and not a custom board like the Drive PX 2. To put things into perspective, Drive PX 2 delivers 24 DLTOPs worth of performance at 80W. Furthermore, it uses two Parker SOCs and two discrete GPUs based on the Pascal architecture. This is 1 DLTOP (INT8) performance per watt we are looking at and its just a glimpse of the massive power efficiency coming in from the Volta architecture.

Unfortunately this seems to be focused on automotive applications. Though, with the Nintendo NX rumored to have some sort of low powered Tegra SOC, this could be something to think about, whether or not Nintendo will power their next-gen console on this new Volta SOC.

NVIDIA-Xavier-AI-Supercomputer.jpg

Interested at 512 CUDA cores. Lost interest at INT8... was hoping it might also be used as a general compute resource, but will have to see how the FLOPS work out when known.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, ChickenCake248 said:

Unfortunately this seems to be focused on automotive applications. Though, with the Nintendo NX rumored to have some sort of low powered Tegra SOC, this could be something to think about, whether or not Nintendo will power their next-gen console on this new Volta SOC.

This one product is intended for small applications. There are two super computers in the works right now (Sierra and Summit) that are slated to be using NVLInk and Volta, with the goal of each being at or near the top of the Top500 list when they are switched on.

This one particular product in the Tesla line is intended to be used for machine control applications (and maybe some other things), but other than that Volta will be business as usual at Nvidia. I am actually pretty happy that Nvidia is trying to break into the machine control market: I've been thinking about the potential benefits of using OTS MPPs for real time vector processing for a while now. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

As it takes many months for engineering a console, the NX will at best, use the Tegra X2 (Pascal) chip, and we have to be lucky. And this has nothing to do with Nintendo not wanting to get the latest chip. You have to remember that for Nintendo, they need to make the PCB, OS, drivers, cooling engineering, anbd also for devs: tools and documentation. Sadly, Nvidia chip isn't like getting the same chip but faster. Power delivery changes, power consumption changes, heat produced changes. You can't have fancy circuitry like on our desktop motherboards that accepts everything you through at it, and motherboard manufacturer needs to do little work (in comparison) to support a new chipset. This can be very different for Nintendo, as everything needs to be compact and power efficient to get every last drop of battery life. So it is months of work (including testing).. all assuming, of course, that Nvidia is in state of mass manufacturing the chip to meet Nintendo order demands. If Nvidia has trouble making the chip as the production was not perfectly, it will be an issue for Nintendo, and might need to opt for an older chip.

Whats a DLTOP? I'm only aware of teraflops, never heard of DLTOP.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 hour ago, rattacko123 said:

Whats a DLTOP? I'm only aware of teraflops, never heard of DLTOP.

Deep learning trial operation. Basically how many digital neurons can you stimulate per cycle.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd