Netgear WNR2000v5 wireless adapter/bridge?

rice4thewin

So i just got a wireless pci card but it sucks donkey butt. It loses connection and I can't even connect to the internet half the time. I have an old Netgear WNR2000v5 router and I was wondering if I can somehow use the router as a wireless adapter for my desktop. I know this might be a dumb question but I just want to know if I can or not. My internet router is all the way on the third floor and I'm at the bottom, so pluging an Ethernet cord is out of the picture. 

Are you sure it's not just not your connection in general because over 3 floors you wifi may degrade a ton, so that may be your problem and not your wireless card.

2 minutes ago, owenhar1 said:

Are you sure it's not just not your connection in general because over 3 floors you wifi may degrade a ton, so that may be your problem and not your wireless card.

No it's the card for sure I use my laptop down here and it's great, fast and reliable. 

Just now, rice4thewin said:

No it's the card for sure I use my laptop down here and it's great, fast and reliable. 

Oh ok i was just making sure as sometimes that is the case.

8 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Hmm, I believe you can setup a wifi router as a wireless bridge. I suck at networking, so don't ask me for anything specific lol.

See if this helps:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/

No it looks like this is only for DD WRT routers, I have a Netgear router

12 minutes ago, rice4thewin said:

DD-WRT  is a 3rd party firmware, on their website they have a list of suppported routers.

22 minutes ago, rice4thewin said:

Like QueenDemetria said, DD WRT is a 3rd party fireware. Anyways, I checked. Your router is not supported unfortunately.

It seems you can setup the router to be a wireless repeater so it would be:

Primary router --> WNR2000v5  -->  wireless pci card --> PC

Or setup the router to be a wireless bridge so it would be:

Primary router --> WNR2000v5 --> PC

A few google searches later I can't find any solid information on WNR2000v5 as wireless adapter/bridge. It seems it's totally possible for v2 and v3 as they have DD-WRT support. So unfortunately your v5 router might not have the adapter/bridge function.

I think you should rename this thread to "Netgear WNR2000v5 wireless adapter/bridge?" to get more support.