Noctua vs Corsair?

Shroom

Hello, so my case fans are getting old so I think it's time to replace them. I was looking at a Noctua case fan and saw some good reviews. I was thinking of getting two  Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan  for my case. So, I was wondering if that would be a good choice over the Corsair or anyother case fans. My build is mainly black but I don't really care about looks mainly performance.

Thanks.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Noctua's fans are some of the best on the market. Corsair's are generally decent but can be quite loud. 

Alright, thanks!

Noctua is generally quieter and better, but corsair fans tend to look better. If you care about the looks you might want to look at corsair, but if your fine with the noctua fans' color then they're the best choice.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

32 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The NF-F12 is optimized for use on radiators and heatsinks, it's not amazing as a case fan (though it will still do okay). The NF-S12A is more appropriate as a case fan.

Hmm alright, I looked it on Amazon but there's more than one.

42 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The NF-F12 is optimized for use on radiators and heatsinks, it's not amazing as a case fan (though it will still do okay). The NF-S12A is more appropriate as a case fan.

Would this work? Noctua 120mm 3 Speed Setting Anti-Stall Knobs Design SSO2 Bearing Case Cooling Fan NF-S12A FLX

2 hours ago, Shroom said:

Would this work? Noctua 120mm 3 Speed Setting Anti-Stall Knobs Design SSO2 Bearing Case Cooling Fan NF-S12A FLX

Yes, depending on whether you are using a 3-pin or 4-pin fan header. 

3 hours ago, Shroom said:

Hmm alright, I looked it on Amazon but there's more than one.

FLX is the dc model with middle-of-the-road rpm, ULN is the same with a lower rpm range, and PWM uses pwm. 

DC and PWM are just different ways to power a fan. DC uses 12v for max rpm and lowers the voltage to lower fan speed. PWM pulses 12v at different intervals to determine fan speed.

Which one if most appropriate will depend on what type of fan headers you have available how you want to control or power the fan.

If tell us your specs and why you're replacing your case fans, we might be able to give some more informed recommendations and relevant info.

What case fans do you currently have and what did you mean by your current case fans being old? Are they going bad by emitting strange noises or just because they're old?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

57 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

FLX is the dc model with middle-of-the-road rpm, ULN is the same with a lower rpm range, and PWM uses pwm. 

DC and PWM are just different ways to power a fan. DC uses 12v for max rpm and lowers the voltage to lower fan speed. PWM pulses 12v at different intervals to determine fan speed.

Which one if most appropriate will depend on what type of fan headers you have available how you want to control or power the fan.

If tell us your specs and why you're replacing your case fans, we might be able to give some more informed recommendations and relevant info.

What case fans do you currently have and what did you mean by your current case fans being old? Are they going bad by emitting strange noises or just because they're old?

I'm mostly replacing the fans since they make noise, and I hate it tbh. Here's a picture of my two case fans, hope the quality is good enough. If you can't see, they're KINGWIN fans. I've had them for over 3 years and I feel like it's time for a change. You might tell me to clean them out etc, trust me, I've done that. I don't know my specs since my brother built a new pc and gave me his old one. I've also taken apart some of the parts because of the ones that I'm ordering.

If you could also reply as quick as you can because I've already ordered fans and don't know if I should cancel.

IMG_0011[1].JPG

I see you've already ordered, but figured I'd chime in anyway about the Noctua colors.  If Noctua aesthetics are a concern, they do have a line called redux that don't use the tan/brown.  

1 minute ago, TheStigsChineseCousin said:

I see you've already ordered, but figured I'd chime in anyway about the Noctua colors.  If Noctua aesthetics are a concern, they do have a line called redux that don't use the tan/brown.  

Yeah, I cancelled the order 30 minutes ago. Thanks for the info! Also, do you know what Noctua case fan would work for me?

So, I found out what case fan I want. I was wondering what would work for me.

32 minutes ago, TheStigsChineseCousin said:

Yeah, I cancelled the order 30 minutes ago. Thanks for the info! Also, do you know what Noctua case fan would work for me?

No problem.  As far as which ones, the NF-S12B redux line are meant for low impedance case cooling, meaning they're best at moving air through an open area of the case and not through a radiator.  http://noctua.at/en/nf-s12b-redux-1200  On Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608061  

Now, I know Noctua fans are a bit on the expensive side, although they are regarded as one of the best, if not the best on the market, and a 6 year manufacturers warranty to boot.  If cost is a concern, another good option is the Phanteks PH-F120SP_BBK 120mm case fan.  On Newegg here :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709051

33 minutes ago, TheStigsChineseCousin said:

No problem.  As far as which ones, the NF-S12B redux line are meant for low impedance case cooling, meaning they're best at moving air through an open area of the case and not through a radiator.  http://noctua.at/en/nf-s12b-redux-1200  On Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608061  

Now, I know Noctua fans are a bit on the expensive side, although they are regarded as one of the best, if not the best on the market, and a 6 year manufacturers warranty to boot.  If cost is a concern, another good option is the Phanteks PH-F120SP_BBK 120mm case fan.  On Newegg here :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709051

I'm probably gonna order it off Amazon. Is this the right one? https://www.amazon.ca/Noctua-Bearing-Cooling-NF-S12B-Redux-700/dp/B00L8IYCJI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475441055&sr=1-2&keywords=noctua+nf+s12b

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

42 minutes ago, Shroom said:

That is the correct model, just the 700 rpm version.  For the same price you can get the 1200, which is what I recommend.  https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KF7R49S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_2/156-8098188-6849867?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HPPYZTTW0P39XHMZ0667