Canon hf g20, Sony Ax33 or other?

Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,

Someone could always suggest you buy a DSLR camera or something that can record video, but then the mics that are integrated in a DSLR record the lowest quality audio so getting this kind of camera means you need to buy other accessories and carry them.  Mics integrated into camcorders are usually better than ones inside a DSLR but of course the best is always an external mic.

Manufacturers usually include a remote control in the box with a camcorder, which usually lets you control the zoom, start/stop record, play back, and sometimes access/change menu settings.  With a DSLR you either need to reach your hand to the camera or get up off your seat to change settings or do other things if you are filming yourself.

Camcorders have integrated power zoom lenses, photo cameras usually do not have power zoom lenses.

There are always pros and cons to different types of camera systems.  I prefer using cameras with larger sensors and interchangeable lens systems for video, but there are times I like using camcorders with their smaller sensors and most of the accessories I would need already integrated into the small package.  Both types of systems are capable of producing very nice footage though obviously with differences in the look and styling of the image due to sensor size.  Unfortunately in my line of work I see too many people always going for the larger sensor camera system and producing work that doesn't make full use of the look and feel that a larger sensor can provide.  They use a multi-thousand dollar camera setup and produce work that looks like it was done with a cheap camera.

I am looking for a camcorder that is at most 800 usd. I found these two and am trying to make sure I get the best bank for my buck. The use of this camcorder will be for Youtube videos (Vlogs) and a facecam for "Let's play" and livestreaming. It should be able to output 1080p30 via hdmi. Any help is appreciated. 

They're both good cameras and can be used for the stuff you want to do.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

23 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

They're both good cameras and can be used for the stuff you want to do.

Thank you for the quick reply! So should I go with the ax33 since it can do 1080p60? 

12 minutes ago, Orboe said:

Thank you for the quick reply! So should I go with the ax33 since it can do 1080p60? 

Perhaps, if they're the same price go with the one that has better features.  Unless you have other camera models in mind.

I'm not sure what other model to recommend because I don't know your knowledge and skill level on video recording and camera setup and what gear you might already own or if you want to invest in external accessories.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Someone could always suggest you buy a DSLR camera or something that can record video, but then the mics that are integrated in a DSLR record the lowest quality audio so getting this kind of camera means you need to buy other accessories and carry them.  Mics integrated into camcorders are usually better than ones inside a DSLR but of course the best is always an external mic.

Manufacturers usually include a remote control in the box with a camcorder, which usually lets you control the zoom, start/stop record, play back, and sometimes access/change menu settings.  With a DSLR you either need to reach your hand to the camera or get up off your seat to change settings or do other things if you are filming yourself.

Camcorders have integrated power zoom lenses, photo cameras usually do not have power zoom lenses.

There are always pros and cons to different types of camera systems.  I prefer using cameras with larger sensors and interchangeable lens systems for video, but there are times I like using camcorders with their smaller sensors and most of the accessories I would need already integrated into the small package.  Both types of systems are capable of producing very nice footage though obviously with differences in the look and styling of the image due to sensor size.  Unfortunately in my line of work I see too many people always going for the larger sensor camera system and producing work that doesn't make full use of the look and feel that a larger sensor can provide.  They use a multi-thousand dollar camera setup and produce work that looks like it was done with a cheap camera.

46 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Thank you for the replies! I own a Canon t5i but that can not output more than 1080i60. It also does not have the ability to remove the overlay. Larger sensors are nice especially in low light. I think I will go with the Ax33. Thank you so much for your help.