Mic picking up output sound

Hiebly

I'm having an annoying issue with audio recording.

So I've got a Kingston HyperX Cloud headset and use the microphone on it. The problem is the input audio picks up a bit of the output audio. It's not happening due to the mic picking up sound from the earcup though. I can use the switch thing to reduce my headset volume to the point of it being borderline inaudible even wearing the headphones, and the mic still picks up the exact same amount of output audio.

The problem with this is that if I want to have audio recording or voice comms where output audio isn't picked up, I need to set the Windows volume level to like 20 or lower and then crank up the volume of the headset with the knob on the cable... the switch thing. But if I crank it up all the way with this method, then I will hear buzzing/whining when my PC is going hard, such as playing GTA V or something. And this also sucks because reducing the volume via Windows instead of via the headset is reducing the sound quality.

I tried picking up an Asus Xonar DG sound card figuring it was a problem with my motherboard audio, but the issue persists in the exact same fashion and roughly the same levels (although mic quality in general is substantially improved and without static, which is nice).

Do soundcards suffer from the same issues that motherboard does (and thus it was a waste of moeny) & do I need to get an external USB audio adapter / amp / whatever to remedy this, or is the problem likely the headset's inline volume controller switch doohickey?

Pretty much all the things i could think of:

Go to your windows audio settings > recording tab > listen tab, make sure the "listen to this device" box is off.

Try reducing the mic volume in windows settings.

To reduce volume noise always increase the source audio first then the head set.

electrical noise can be caused by a dirty electricity supply in which is causeed by heavy electrical usage in the home.

Fixes:

1:Plug the pc directly into the wall and test.

2:Puy a mains conditioner power strip.

2 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

To reduce volume noise always increase the source audio first then the head set.

This is what worsens the primary problem of the microphone picking up output audio. I can set the headphones to 0 but set Windows volume to 100 and the microphone will still pick up a lot of sound even though none is coming out of the earcups.

Just now, Hiebly said:

This is what worsens the primary problem of the microphone picking up noise. I can set the headphones to 0 but set Windows volume to 100 and the microphone will still pick up a lot of sound even though none is coming out of the earcups.

have you tried the first fix on the list? is it actually off?

and do you run any software that comes with the headphones if there is any?

Just now, TiberiusMoon said:

have you tried the first fix on the list? is it actually off?

and do you run any software that comes with the headphones if there is any?

Yes it's off. And the headphones didn't come with any software.

Just now, Hiebly said:

Yes it's off. And the headphones didn't come with any software.

just to eliminate faulty heaset could you plug it into your phone and play some music? (mess with the sound see if you get the same results)

5 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

just to eliminate faulty heaset could you plug it into your phone and play some music? (mess with the sound see if you get the same results)

hrm not sure why I didn't think of that

Gave it a try, and the problem persisted even with the headphone volume turned to the lowest and phone volume set to the highest. I guess the problem is in the cords or volume controller.

Basically the way the headset is setup is the headphone and mic jack converge into one cord and then that connects to a little switch with mute & volume knob. So I guess either in the switch or somewhere along the cord where both the input and output share a sleeve there is some interference :(

Guess I need to look into getting a new mic & headphones. Thanks for your help

1 minute ago, Hiebly said:

hrm not sure why I didn't think of that

Gave it a try, and the problem persisted even with the headphone volume turned to the lowest and phone volume set to the highest. I guess the problem is in the cords or volume controller.

Basically the way the headset is setup is the headphone and mic jack converge into one cord and then that connects to a little switch with mute & volume knob. So I guess either in the switch or somewhere along the cord where both the input and output share a sleeve there is some interference :(

Guess I need to look into getting a new mic & headphones. Thanks for your help

No Problem :D

maybe start a post for recommended headset ;)

1 minute ago, TiberiusMoon said:

No Problem :D

maybe start a post for reccomended headset ;)

Well for awhile I've been considering getting these headphones and a modmic. I can't afford anything too pricey and I would hazard a guess that most sub-100 all-in-one gaming headsets would exhibit similar issues to the HyperX Cloud, which most reviewers tout as one of if not the best gaming headsets for the price

Just now, Hiebly said:

Well for awhile I've been considering getting these headphones and a modmic.

mmm cant go wrong with audiophile headphones,

i had the AKG k451 for generally walking about, they have great sound.

ill go see what there is for 100 bucks there maybe something better, or are you just going for looks? lol

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

I actually have the same problem with my clouds (hence me following the thread) but never seemed to fix the issues. Maybe it's the inline controller?

Yeah it seems to be. I tested using audio from my phone instead of computer and even tried using the inline controller to mute the mic and the issue persisted. Definitely seems to be either the controller or interference from the mic and headphone cables sharing one sleeve.

1 minute ago, TiberiusMoon said:

mmm cant go wrong with audiophile headphones,

i had the AKG k451 for generally walking about, they have great sound.

ill go see what there is for 100 bucks there maybe something better, or are you just going for looks? lol

I don't care about looks, they'll just be used with my computer. I just use earbuds when I'm out and about

12 minutes ago, Hiebly said:

I don't care about looks, they'll just be used with my computer. I just use earbuds when I'm out and about

Uhh nvm xD

I thought there could be better ones out there for a 100 but that dang canadian monies tho

Besure to burn them in and use the sound card if it has a built in amp, heaphones love amps :3

If you haven't already, I would definitely RMA it. A head set microphone should not be picking up sound from the earcups. That is a hardware issue and poor design that makes the product unfit for purpose. Don't know where you are, but if you're in the EU, that is grounds for a full refund.

I have no issues with my audio setup if you want some recommendations though. I don't use a headset, so if you're looking for that, that may be an issue. I use a directional microphone, an external audio interface, and then I use a HiFi for the output.

This is my mic:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-C-1-Studio-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000CZ0RLK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475409599&sr=8-3&keywords=Behringer+microphone

https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-IO2-Audio-Midi-Interface/dp/B000H8XW3W/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1475409663&sr=1-4&keywords=Alesis+IO2

The interface isn't the greatest, but I got it for £20 from a man who "swears it wasn't stolen", so I can't really complain. The microphone is great for the price. I've been recording music and performing for years, and my budget option has always been Behringer. They're by no means the best brand, but I've always found it to be super reliable with a sound that is very easy to work with.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I know that this thread is a bit old.. but I am having exact same problem. I hope that you fixed the problem till now. Can you tell me what was going on or how to fix it please? Because new headset did not help to me at all :/

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 1:39 AM, luckerr said:

Hey, I know that this thread is a bit old.. but I am having exact same problem. I hope that you fixed the problem till now. Can you tell me what was going on or how to fix it please? Because new headset did not help to me at all :/

New headset fixed it for me. I tried the HyperX Cloud on several different devices and the problem existed on all of them (seems the input line picking up the output line's audio happened within the joint cable sleeving or the volume control thing). I started using a ModMic and have cycled through 2 headphones (AKG M220 and now using AudioTechnica ATH-M50X), with both of them I've had no issues of the mic picking up any audio.