Is my PSU enough ?

sultan97

Hello guys ... i was wondering if my PSU is enough to handle my build upgrade. my PSU is Coolmax CUL-750B 750w 

my PC will have an asus strix GTX 1070, 8x2 corsair vengeance ddr3 ram, i7-4770k, Gigabyte motherboard and 1TB HDD.  

I've been told that 750w is more than enough yet the quality of the PSU and it's components might not be good ... so do i need to change my PSU or is it enough ? 

2 minutes ago, sultan97 said:

Hello guys ... i was wondering if my PSU is enough to handle my build upgrade. my PSU is Coolmax CUL-750B 750w 

my PC will have an asus strix GTX 1070, 8x2 corsair vengeance ddr3 ram, i7-4770k, Gigabyte motherboard and 1TB HDD.  

I've been told that 750w is more than enough yet the quality of the PSU and it's components might not be good ... so do i need to change my PSU or is it enough ? 

As for wattage, yes, it is more than enough. as for quality... eh.

If you are willing to spend the money, I can recommend good alternatives (~$90, but it depends on your country)

As for what you have now, I'd look into the OEM that Coolmax used for this PSU, it might not need replacing at all. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

500w is enough to power the parts you listed. So your psu is fine.

4 minutes ago, sultan97 said:

It's a garbage PSU. It can only output 450W of its rated power. You want something that's made a lot better.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'd recommend the EVGA 750W Supernova G2, or any PSU made by SeaSonic, XFX, Silverstone, or Antec, as they are all great quality and use good parts. 

depends what is available in your area though. 

EDIT: just read @STRMfrmXMN's signature lol. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

7 minutes ago, sultan97 said:

my PSU is Coolmax CUL-750B 750w 

Shudders

Yea, a more reputable PSU would be a good investment.

I'm really on a tight budget here guys are you sure that this PSU won't survive the build ? even if it just barely makes it ... k just need the PC to run ... maybe after a month or so I'll buy a new one ... but as of right now ... will my system run or just shutdowns on my face ?

13 minutes ago, sultan97 said:

If you could draw 750W yep you would be fine but a more realistic power output for this unit would be 450W.  Really it is bad (with a capital B ) in all respects, ditch it as soon as.

From ;- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/coolmax-cul-750b-750-w-power-supply-review/10/  

We can’t understand how a manufacturer label a 450 W power supply as a 750 W and get away with it. We thought we had already got rid of this kind of thing here in the US, but we guess we were wrong.

Even if Coolmax CUL-750B could deliver its promised wattage it would still be a bad product, since its cables are short and it has only four SATA power connectors.

On the other hand, voltage regulation and noise/ripple levels are excellent, and efficiency stayed all the times above 80%. But please keep in mind that two samples from this unit burned when we pulled 500 W from it, so probably this unit would present efficiency below 80% if we were able to pull its labeled wattage.

If you take a closer look at our tests, you will see that this unit achieved its efficiency peak at 200 W. Efficiency is usually plotted as an inverse parabola, reaching its peak somewhere between 40% and 60% of its maximum wattage. Therefore, using the maximum efficiency we’ve seen in our tests, we could easily calculate that the maximum wattage for this power supply would be somewhere between 333 W and 500 W – matching with a fantastic precision what we found during our tests.

By the way: the manufacturer says the fan from this unit is 140 mm, but this is wrong, this unit uses a 135 mm fan.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

11 minutes ago, sultan97 said:

I'm really on a tight budget here guys are you sure that this PSU won't survive the build ? even if it just barely makes it ... k just need the PC to run ... maybe after a month or so I'll buy a new one ... but as of right now ... will my system run or just shutdowns on my face ?

It's not only that it might not supply enough power, but if it blows it could take out other parts of your system too.

I edit my posts a lot.

OP, to run a setup like yours, a decent 550w PSU can comfortably get the job done. I'd actually suggest a Seasonic S12II-520. If that's still too expensive you are kinda out of luck.

i5 6600K @ 4.5Ghz/1.28V with Coolaboratory Liquid Pro | Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Avexir ROG Impact 4*4 2666mhz @ 3333mhz/CL16/1.35v | ROG Strix 1070-O8G @ 2114Mhz/9400Mhz | Swiftech H220-X+2* Corsair ML120 | EVGA GQ750 | Plextor M8Pe(G) NVMe 256Gb | 2*Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb in RAID 0 | 2* Samsung Spinpoint F1 1Tb in RAID 1 | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1tb | NZXT Noctis 450 Black | Phanteks braided cable extensions

Could you post a link to the site you're buying it from and how much you want to spend? I don't care if the site isn't in English

This is a signature.

9 hours ago, soup said:

If you could draw 750W yep you would be fine but a more realistic power output for this unit would be 450W.  Really it is bad (with a capital B ) in all respects, ditch it as soon as.

From ;- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/coolmax-cul-750b-750-w-power-supply-review/10/  

We can’t understand how a manufacturer label a 450 W power supply as a 750 W and get away with it. We thought we had already got rid of this kind of thing here in the US, but we guess we were wrong.

Even if Coolmax CUL-750B could deliver its promised wattage it would still be a bad product, since its cables are short and it has only four SATA power connectors.

On the other hand, voltage regulation and noise/ripple levels are excellent, and efficiency stayed all the times above 80%. But please keep in mind that two samples from this unit burned when we pulled 500 W from it, so probably this unit would present efficiency below 80% if we were able to pull its labeled wattage.

If you take a closer look at our tests, you will see that this unit achieved its efficiency peak at 200 W. Efficiency is usually plotted as an inverse parabola, reaching its peak somewhere between 40% and 60% of its maximum wattage. Therefore, using the maximum efficiency we’ve seen in our tests, we could easily calculate that the maximum wattage for this power supply would be somewhere between 333 W and 500 W – matching with a fantastic precision what we found during our tests.

By the way: the manufacturer says the fan from this unit is 140 mm, but this is wrong, this unit uses a 135 mm fan.

This is some creepy stuff ... i won't upgrade my Graphics card then ... not untill i buy a new PSU. I'll go search for the best one out there, Thank you guys very much. without your help my whole PC would've been literally on fire ??