Build check before I pull the trigger

I know there are a lot of these threads that get posted but I would much appreciate it if a few of you would take a look at my build and let me know if I have made any major oversights.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/randomsteve95370/saved/DLCJxr

That has everything I plan on getting listed out except for the graphics card because I will be getting an R9 290x from a friend for about $150 

I don't really have any real price point I am trying to stick to with this build. What I am trying to attain however is as powerful of a build as possible for as cheap as possible. So basically really good value high performance parts, no $600 for a 5% better cpu or anything stupid like that. Anyway let me know what you think and if there are any better MoBos, CPUs, PSUs or anything that I should consider. Thanks again everyone! 

Are you going to be mainly gaming? In that case I would also consider the i5-6600k since it will provide similar performance for less cost (hyperthreading is often not utilized in games)

There's no real need for a fan controller you can just customise it with the bios. I'd add a 1TB HDD too, 500GB is a little too small imo (I have 1.25TB  total storage so far I've filled 750GB ish with my stuff but I do occasionally purge it of uselesss stuff) I don't have a suggesting for another though. And like Jacko said 6600k is good enough to game and not bottleneck while still using resources..

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

grab a asus z170a and get remove the fan controller 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

PCPartPicker part list

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 

^With this you can get a decent overclock, it is a larger heatsink though so it might interfere with the first ram slot so you have to put your ram sticks on the 2nd and 4th slots
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($160.72 @ B&H) 

^The MSI Gaming M5 is usually around the $145-155 range, for $170 there better motherboards out there that offer more features like this one

^If you want to stick to $150, the Asus Z170-A is a great choice although it's black/white
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($83.88 @ OutletPC) 

^You can stick to the low profile corsair LPX's but I like this one for the slick aesthetics, also they're better at OC. It's not low profile so again so expect interference with the cpu cooler fan.

18 minutes ago, SlyTroopah said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/M73Djc - changed a few things to my liking xD - Left a little of what you wanted.

No. Might as well be an entirely different build plus an a non OC mobo.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

1 minute ago, antisleep said:

PCPartPicker part list

^With this you can get a decent overclock, it is a larger heatsink though so it might interfere with the first ram slot so you have to put your ram sticks on the 2nd and 4th slots
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($160.72 @ B&H) 

^The MSI Gaming M5 is usually around the $145-155 range, for $170 there better motherboards out there that offer better features like this one

^If you want to stick to $150, the Asus Z170-A is a great choice although it's black/white
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($83.88 @ OutletPC) 

^You can stick to the low profile corsair LPX's but I like this one for the slick aesthetics, also they're better at OC. It's not low profile so again so expect interference with the cpu cooler fan.

You can OC on that mobo. Also the cooler is completely capable of OC and the memory is amazing.

2 minutes ago, SlyTroopah said:

You can OC on that mobo. Also the cooler is completely capable of OC and the memory is amazing.

@Randomsteve

Just ignore this guy's build or any of the parts he's recommending.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

@Randomsteve

xD idk why you would think you cant OC on that board. Its not as good OC but you still can.

4 minutes ago, antisleep said:

@Randomsteve

If you have any issues, suggest a better option instead of disregarding something you think is wrong.

1 hour ago, Randomsteve said:

because I will be getting an R9 290x from a friend for about $150 

See if you can get that price down to $130-140. Yea the performance is comparable to the RX 480 but I'd only pay $150 for it if it's less than a year old.

24 minutes ago, SlyTroopah said:

If you have any issues, suggest a better option instead of disregarding something you think is wrong.

Well the better option is his build. You made it worse.

>Silent ATX case to micro ATX, losing a lot of options for expansion in the future

>R9 290X depending on the model, might cause issues with clearance on a smaller case

>effin H170 mobo on a 6700K and 3000Mhz ram, are you aware of the differences vs Z170? this alone is why he should disregard your suggestion entirely

>nVME SSD is too expensive for something he likely won't be needing

>27" 1440p IPS to 24" 1080p 144Hz TN - like why would you change it to that?

>overall huge downgrade

33 minutes ago, SlyTroopah said:

Do you have h170, and z170 mobo to compare the OC capability? You really don't know about pc.

See if you can get that price down to $130-140. Yea the performance is comparable to the RX 480 but I'd only pay $150 for it if it's less than a year old.

Well the better option is his build. You made it worse.

>Silent ATX case to micro ATX, losing a lot of options for expansion in the future

>R9 290X probably wont fit in the case or cause issues with clearance

>effin H170 mobo on a 6700K and 3000Mhz ram, are you aware of the differences vs Z170?

>nVME SSD is too expensive for something he likely won't be needing

>27" 1440p IPS to 24" 1080p 144Hz TN - like why would you change it to that?

>overall huge downgrade

> The case has a lot of room for full GPUS and expansion (not cd roms or such)

> I am aware of the differences but that all depends on what he is needing, which the h170 is comepletly capable. ALSO you can upgrade the mobo to a z170 for about 10$ more if wanted.

>nVME how do you know if hes wanting/needing a nVME - He doesnt have to take my build, its a recommendation that he can take parts/suggestions from.

> Both monitors are great imo but for 144hz with only a  R9 290x @ 1440p is pushing it imo. I rather have the 1080p 144hz as it looks amazing and you would receive more frames to reach the 144 mark.

> Its all about balance.

7 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

Do you have h170, and z170 mobo to compare the OC capability? You really don't know about pc.

xD I never said the h170 would be better @ oc than the z170, thats just a losing argument.

Just now, SlyTroopah said:

xD I never said the h170 would be better @ oc than the z170, thats just a losing argument.

h170 can't OC 6600k or 6700k lol

Just now, PCNoobie said:

h170 can't OC 6600k or 6700k lol

That is not true at all. z170 isnt all about OC. Has a lot to do with PCIE lane splitting as well.

Holy crap.  I did not expect this thread to blow up like this.  I figured id get like responses saying it was an ok build or something. 

Anyway, im on my phone so i will reply in detail in a few hours. But here is a few things that i should have mentioned earlier. 

1  I have 2 3TB 7200 Rpm drives for all my large data

2  this pc is going to be half gaming and half content creation.  I use a lot of adobe programs and edit a lot of pictures and videos. 

3  I need an IPS display for the  color correct display. 

4  if 150 for an r9 290x isn't a good deal then what should i get for near that price range?

5  Overclocking is not something i plan to do out of the box.  It may happen if/when i need the extra speed. So don't put to much emphasis in overclockable components if other features are a better option. 

6. I leave my computer running most of the time and i sleep in the same room only a few feet from my case so a low noise case and fans is desirable but not something i want to pay through the nose for or loose out on other things for

3 hours ago, Randomsteve said:

4  if 150 for an r9 290x isn't a good deal then what should i get for near that price range?

$150 for the 290x is still a good deal. Just see if you can negotiate for a slightly lower price as I've seen em on ebay go as low as ~$120. If you plan on gaming you may need to crank down the in game resolution to 1080p as I don't think you can maintain 60fps high settings on AAA titles with the 290x. If you want 1440p gaming, then get a 1070 or a used 980Ti.

3 hours ago, Randomsteve said:

5  Overclocking is not something i plan to do out of the box.  It may happen if/when i need the extra speed. So don't put to much emphasis in overclockable components if other features are a better option.

The Cryorig H5 for ~$47 isn't that expensive considering the cooling it provides. When you decide to OC the 6700k, you can go up to around 4.4Ghz and maintain good temps with this cooler. Would highly recommend you get it over the Hyper 212EVO.

Alright I am back to my computer and have had a chance to really look through all the replies so far. First thing I have to say is awesome! Thanks for the suggestions, I've posted threads like this to a few different forums before and have never gotten anything good out of it really.

So I'm just gonna start at the top and go through each post

4 hours ago, Jacko1222 said:

Are you going to be mainly gaming? In that case I would also consider the i5-6600k since it will provide similar performance for less cost (hyperthreading is often not utilized in games)

Gonna be about a 50/50 split between gaming and content creation, maybe 60/40 with gaming probably being done slightly more. So with that in mind will programs like Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere pro, take advantage of the extra threads of the 6700k or is it still not worth the extra money? Also keep in mind the 6700k is .5ghz faster per each core and a faster turbo clock as well and that is a pretty big draw to me as well. and the 2mbs of extra cache doesnt hurt any either. So with that extra info in mind what do you think?

5 hours ago, nomes said:

All looks good to me!

Have you considered an M.2 SSD? I seems like your board supports it, and you can get much faster speeds out of an M.2 drive compared to a regular SATA III connection.

Good luck with your build.

haven't been following storage tech very closely as of late so when I saw that M.2 SSDs were a thing I took a look into them but all of the threads I read said that they provide no real benefit yet because they still used the same data transfer tech as SATAIII. No idea if any of that is correct because like I said I haven't really followed SSD tech for the last 3-4yrs. Anyway, I do know the Samsung 850 EVO is considered one of the best SSD drives and performs really well in bench mark and is right around the $150 price range for a 500gb drive that I would like to stick to. If you have any suggestions on M.2 drives that outperforms the Evo at a similar price then please let me know. :)

5 hours ago, Charcoal_ said:

There's no real need for a fan controller you can just customise it with the bios. I'd add a 1TB HDD too, 500GB is a little too small imo (I have 1.25TB  total storage so far I've filled 750GB ish with my stuff but I do occasionally purge it of uselesss stuff) I don't have a suggesting for another though. And like Jacko said 6600k is good enough to game and not bottleneck while still using resources..

Your right a fan controller isn't really needed. I've got one on my pc I am using right now and I find its just kinda nice to have when I want to turn the fans down for a little more peace and quiet in my room. On top of that I kinda like sliding sliders :P  Not sure how many fan headers is on MoBo's nowa days but I plan on running 2 intake, 1 rear. 1 bottom, and 1 top fan along with adding another fan to the Hyper 212 meaning I need 6 fan headers plus the cpu fan header and I don't know if MoBos come with those or not. 

As far as storage is concerned I have several 3tb 7200rpm drives at home already that were given to me that will be installed for all of my files and larger data.

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

grab a asus z170a and get remove the fan controller 

Motherboard selection is probably by far my weakest link, I just don't often have the patience to sift through all of the specs for every motherboard to figure out which one is technically better. That Asus looks good as far as I can tell. Other then a better price however does it have any advantages over the MSI?

5 hours ago, PCNoobie said:

Looking through the changes you've made.

First thing I notice is the Dark rock cooler. Seems like a bit to much money for a cpu cooler for me especially when you consider that I probably won't be overclocking for a few years to come and when I do I can always upgrade my cooler then. 

second thing I notice is the Motherboard change. Nearly the same board as the z170a suggested above so thats a definite improvement over the more expensive MSI I had found.

Third I notice is the SSD change. Not sure I see the reason for that. Yeah its a few bucks cheaper then the Evo and yeah its smaller but those benefits seem negligible to me and the EVO looks like it outperforms the sandisk you linked. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Fourth and last I notice the case change, basically just personal preference but I prefer the Fractal design R5 case over that one because of the extra front panel USB and the Quiet design.

Overall seems like some decent changes but maybe not the direction I am looking to go. 

5 hours ago, SlyTroopah said:

Ok I made it even better. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g3Th7h

I appreciate the suggestions but definitely not the direction I am looking to go. A Micro ATX board isn't something I want, the 950 Pro SSD is insanely overpriced, not a huge fan of Mini Tower cases, and that monitor is to small, not high enough resolution, and not an IPS display. 

5 hours ago, antisleep said:

PCPartPicker part list

^The MSI Gaming M5 is usually around the $145-155 range, for $170 there better motherboards out there that offer more features like this one

That Cryorig H5 looks like a  very nice Cooler for only a moderate bump up in price. Awesome, great suggestion. Thanks!

Great suggestion on the Memory as well!

That is an awesome looking Motherboard I do have to say. the $10 price difference between the Gigabyte board you suggested and the Asus board is pretty negligible as far as i'm concerned but what reason (Other then awesome color scheme) should I pay the $10 for the Gigabyte over the Asus?

21 minutes ago, antisleep said:

$150 for the 290x is still a good deal. Just see if you can negotiate for a slightly lower price as I've seen em on ebay go as low as ~$120. If you plan on gaming you may need to crank down the in game resolution to 1080p as I don't think you can maintain 60fps high settings on AAA titles with the 290x. If you want 1440p gaming, then get a 1070 or a used 980Ti.

The Cryorig H5 for ~$47 isn't that expensive considering the cooling it provides. When you decide to OC the 6700k, you can go up to around 4.4Ghz and maintain good temps with this cooler. Would highly recommend you get it over the Hyper 212EVO.

Hes a good friend of mine so I don't mind paying 150 anyway. I do know that the card is in really good shape though, basically new. I helped him install it a few years ago and then like 4 months of limited use later he decided he wanted to go Nvidia and Grabbed a Titan and put the 290 back in its box in his closet, been siting there ever since.

I agree with you about that Cryorig H5 cooler. Looks to be a very nice middle of the road cooler and am going to definitely add it to my build. 

Heres the new revised build I have thus far http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wfTcxY Not sure about MoBo yet still not sure if I should go Asus or Gigabyte.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions, you guys definitely pointed out some components that I had not seen before, awesome!

xD if i knew all this, I wouldove recommended something much different. Also you can have a stata m.2 or a pcie nvme m.2 - pcie/nvme is much faster than sata. So your half correct on what you had said XD.

1 minute ago, SlyTroopah said:

xD if i knew all this, I wouldove recommended something much different. Also you can have a stata m.2 or a pcie nvme m.2 - pcie/nvme is much faster than sata. So your half correct on what you had said XD.

Eh thats my bad sorry about that. Was in a bit of a rush leaving the house when I wrote up the Orignal post and honestly I didn't think I'd get much of a response so I didn't go into to much detail. Should have known that Linustechtips would be better then other forums. Oh well, live and learn.

That makes sense about the M.2 cards. Still wrapping my head around all this new storage tech now days. Any M.2 PCIE SSDs priced around the $150 range yet?

> Its all about balance.

>6700K, 3000Mhz ram with H170 board. *facepalm*

That is not true at all. z170 isnt all about OC. Has a lot to do with PCIE lane splitting as well.

Stop trying to make H170 happen.

5 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

should I pay the $10 for the Gigabyte over the Asus?

Sure. The Gigabyte is also just recently released and a more premium mobo than the Asus.