My Gaming Rig

Please could you help me with this build. This is what I've found so far.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K

CPU Cooler: Cryorig M91

MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 K4

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz

HDD: WD 1TB Blue

SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 250GB 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1060

PSU: COrsair RM650X

Case: NZXT Source S340

use pc part picker. look at an i5 and a 1070 unless you only play really cpu bound games. also grab a normal 850evo and a asus z170a

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Build is solid, save for:

- The M91 isn't a great cooler, look for alternatives (the H5 is much better if a bit pricier)

- You don't need an 850 PRO and there's a chance that it's very expensive. Grab an 850 EVO for less.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

use pc part picker. look at an i5 and a 1070 unless you only play really cpu bound games. also grab a normal 850evo and a asus z170a

I found a great bundle for the mobo, cpu and Ram and I dont need a 1070 so I went with 1060 leaving me a bigger budet for my cpu which is why I am i7 6700k. I am also using it for a flight sim which is a cpu bound program so I need a fast one for when I am using the simualotr

Just now, Riles4365 said:

I found a great bundle for the mobo, cpu and Ram and I dont need a 1070 so I went with 1060 leaving me a bigger budet for my cpu which is why I am i7 6700k. I am also using it for a flight sim which is a cpu bound program so I need a fast one for when I am using the simualotr

what flight sim?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Build is solid, save for:

- The M91 isn't a great cooler, look for alternatives (the H5 is much better if a bit pricier)

- You don't need an 850 PRO and there's a chance that it's very expensive. Grab an 850 EVO for less.

Aren't the 850 Evo's quite old. I was reccommend the M91 because I won't be overclocking that much. The H5 is quite pricy and I don't need it if I'm not overclocking alot. Are there any coolers inbetween those two that are very reliable and keep temps down?

Taking into account everything we discussed in your other thread, I think you're in good shape. Scale that 850 PRO back to an EVO. You won't notice any performance difference. Only buy a PRO if you get a screaming deal at Fry's, or if Amazon gives you a 512GB drive for $25 ;)

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

what flight sim?

I'm going to get X-plane 10 but I might look for others because there might be newer ones on the market

1 minute ago, Riles4365 said:

I agree with i7 + 1060 for basically any flight sim. FSX can only use a single thread though, so maybe go 6600K.

Aren't the 850 Evo's quite old. I was reccommend the M91 because I won't be overclocking that much. The H5 is quite pricy and I don't need it if I'm not overclocking alot. Are there any coolers inbetween those two that are very reliable and keep temps down?

Deepcool Gammaxx 400

Cryorig H7

Be quiet! Pure Rock

Scythe Kotetsu

But you should overclock, it's free performance. If you're not gonna overclock, grab an i7-6700 and a B150 motherboard.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Taking into account everything we discussed in your other thread, I think you're in good shape. Scale that 850 PRO back to an EVO. You won't notice any performance difference. Only buy a PRO if you get a screaming deal at Fry's, or if Amazon gives you a 512GB drive for $25 ;)

So which cpu cooler should I go for now that @Energycore said the M91 wasn't a great cooler? 

I agree with i7 + 1060 for basically any flight sim. FSX can only use a single thread though, so maybe go 6600K.

Deepcool Gammaxx 400

Cryorig H7

Be quiet! Pure Rock

Scythe Kotetsu

But you should overclock, it's free performance. If you're not gonna overclock, grab an i7-6700 and a B150 motherboard.

I might overclock. I didn't say I would never. I said that I won't be doing it alot but stilll might. Are all those coolers reliable, good with keeping cpu at low temps?

Just now, Jorgen297 said:

noctua nh-d15

I agree, to an extent. It's an expensive one.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

So which cpu cooler should I go for now that @Energycore said the M91 wasn't a great cooler? 

If you were going to really crank the 6700K up, the H5 Ultimate would make a lot of sense, but like we discussed in your Air Cooling thread, you're not looking to do much overclocking at all. Because of that, the M9i is fine, but you would realize some gains later on in the CPU's life, when it does come time to overclock, by going with a Gammaxx 400 or H7.

Bottom line, for what you're doing, the M9i is fine. For most people with a 6700K, it's not.

I might overclock. I didn't say I would never. I said that I won't be doing it alot but stilll might. Are all those coolers reliable, good with keeping cpu at low temps?

The ones I listed are all good for keeping an overclock cool. They might not be the best, but you don't have to push the crap out of your i7. I would take the Gammaxx 400 out of those, but its fan is ugly, so replace it with something better looking and performing if you get it.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

If you were going to really crank the 6700K up, the H5 Ultimate would make a lot of sense, but like we discussed in your Air Cooling thread, you're not looking to do much overclocking at all. Because of that, the M9i is fine, but you would realize some gains later on in the CPU's life, when it does come time to overclock, by going with a Gammaxx 400 or H7.

Bottom line, for what you're doing, the M9i is fine. For most people with a 6700K, it's not.

I understand what your're saying but I don't want to spend my money on a cooler that is ok and can't handle moderate overclocking. Is there a cooler which is reasonable price that is good for what I need it for and for moderate overclocking?

The ones I listed are all good for keeping an overclock cool. They might not be the best, but you don't have to push the crap out of your i7. I would take the Gammaxx 400 out of those, but its fan is ugly, so replace it with something better looking and performing if you get it.

I have no interest in the looks of my pc except for the case. Is the Gammaxx 400 reliable, strong, not going to break, keep cpu temps low. I need to know because I don't want to purchase a cooler to find it doesn't work and then I've wasted money. I think the M9I is a good option because its affordable, keep the temps low for what I use it for but will it be good for an occansional overclock?

(sorry for all questions. I just have to be sure before spending money)

4 minutes ago, Riles4365 said:

I understand what your're saying but I don't want to spend my money on a cooler that is ok and can't handle moderate overclocking. Is there a cooler which is reasonable price that is good for what I need it for and for moderate overclocking?

On the low end, a Gammaxx 400 or Cryorig H7 would cover you for a moderate overclock. Both handily outperform an M9i.

If you step it up, the H5 Ultimate re-enters the picture.

Based upon your use case, there is absolutely no situation in which an NH-D15, R1, DRP3, etc., makes any kind of sense. The $46 H5 Ultimate is the absolute most I'd put into your PC, and even that's overkill. A $25 Gammaxx 400 would be my recommendation.

Is the Gammaxx 400 reliable, strong, not going to break, keep cpu temps low.

Yes.

Should be the same price as a M9i

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Blue LED will blind all of its uglyness

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

On the low end, a Gammaxx 400 or Cryorig H7 would cover you for a moderate overclock. Both handily outperform an M9i.

If you step it up, the H5 Ultimate re-enters the picture.

Based upon your use case, there is absolutely no situation in which an NH-D15, R1, DRP3, etc., makes any kind of sense. The $46 H5 Ultimate is the absolute most I'd put into your PC, and even that's overkill. A $25 Gammaxx 400 would be my recommendation.

I think I might go for Cryorig H7 because it will handle moderate overclock and for my use. Any objections or concerns?

I think I might go for Cryorig H7 because it will handle moderate overclock and for my use. Any objections or concerns?

You have our blessing.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Nope. I own one myself. Had it on an i7-4790K for a while, which is the 6700K's older brother. Temperatures were fine for the overclock I wanted, and I never had a single issue with it.