Hard drive isn't working anymore

RYANNOSAURAS

So this is a follow-up on my last post. Basically, my PC froze during defrag and now I can't even see the drive in explorer, isn't detected in BIOS, can't see the space on it, but I can see it in disk manager. When I tried to see the properties of it yesterday, I got an error message on the line of "disk I/O error". The HDD in question is actually 2TB, but whenever it tells me to initialize a new disk, it shows it's only some amount in MB or it gives me that message you see that popped up while I was typing this. Is there a way to reset the drive physically? 

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

First thing to to would be to shutdown and boot off a linux usb and make a image using ddrescue.

Then you can mount the image and get most of the files from it.

Doesn't this usually mean the drive is dead/dying?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Mang fuck the files I want the drive lol. Is there a way to physically reset it? 

Every drive that has done this to me is now dead. You may get away with swapping out the control board, but it has to be from exactly the same drive, down to the batch if possible. Even then it likely won't work.

If the data on it isn't needed then I would write it off and get a new one, even if you get it to work, something has gone wrong and will likely happen again.

On 9/27/2016 at 1:22 PM, Curious Pineapple said:

Every drive that has done this to me is now dead. You may get away with swapping out the control board, but it has to be from exactly the same drive, down to the batch if possible. Even then it likely won't work.

If the data on it isn't needed then I would write it off and get a new one, even if you get it to work, something has gone wrong and will likely happen again.

I had the drive for 2 fucking months lol.  Thanks for the information tho 

Just now, RYANNOSAURAS said:

I had the drive for 2 fucking months lol. Man fuck seagate lol. Thanks for the information tho 

Get it returned then, they won't argue with it, hopefully

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep

Dam. I mean I live in GA, and I've gone over my cap to download movies and steam games, but I'm more pissed off about the movies and fights I downloaded through a paid subscription on that drive lol. Oh well. 

3 minutes ago, RYANNOSAURAS said:

Dam. I mean I live in GA, and I've gone over my cap to download movies and steam games, but I'm more pissed off about the movies and fights I downloaded through a paid subscription on that drive lol. Oh well. 

You can probalby get your data back with something like ddrescue.