Upgrading my setup

sayurasem

Hi guys, bought my computer a while ago for a steal $200 from a friend. But now I feel the need to upgrade my GPU as I would like to play new game such as paragon. I'm thinking of gtx 970 as its in my budge range. What are you guys opinion on it? Any sugestion? Will the old components be a bottle neck to the card? Any help will be appreciated! I've attached some specs of my computer.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I recommend you get a gtx 1060 instead of 970 just because of the extra VRAM. It really matters a lot.

Thank you for the reply guys! I might get the 1060 then, hopefully around black friday/ cyber monday sale if there are any. The 1060 price is a little out of my reach right now. 

So i just double checking my self, and turns out my motherboard supports PCIe 2.0 x16 and gtx 1060 uses PCIe 3.0

will this affect the performance of the card?

2 hours ago, sayurasem said:

So i just double checking my self, and turns out my motherboard supports PCIe 2.0 x16 and gtx 1060 uses PCIe 3.0

will this affect the performance of the card?

Since it's an older generation , it will lower the overall performance of the GPU, but it will still work. The ports are actually backwards compatible so you'll be fine.

2016 Build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING 

Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB, Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold (It's Not Great)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full-ATX

7 minutes ago, Eric Hawkins said:

Since it's an older generation , it will lower the overall performance of the GPU, but it will still work. The ports are actually backwards compatible so you'll be fine.

What? It will preform so close its within the margin of error. I mean all test have shown there isn't any difference in preformance between 2.0 and 3.0 16x.