5930K Overclock Help

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,

So how about we get that RealBench to pass and talk about all the other stuff that you didn't ask about after that.  :D

You're more than likely having an issue related to CPU Voltage Input (also known as VCCIN).  Very common on HWE chips and not that big of a deal.  Increasing VCore will not really help this issue much.  

Go into BIOS and raise your CPU Input Voltage to 1.95v.  Start with 4.5 GHz and set VCore to 1.3v provided that your cooling setup can handle the thermal load.  Retest for 15 minutes and start dropping voltage until you start crashing again.

I very much doubt that you lost the "silicon lottery" that badly.  I'm 95% sure that we just need to get you dialed in.  No biggie.

**I should add, I've run RealBench for hours on my 5960x at 4.7 GHz, but I can tell you that it won't even do 5 minutes at 4.5 without a little extra Input Voltage.**

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Try a little extra VCore and maybe a bit of positive System Agent voltage (VCCSA) offset.

How much do you think for each? Especially in system agent, I think mine on auto was already giving me 1.2V

Just now, DrJones said:

How much do you think for each? Especially in system agent, I think mine on auto was already giving me 1.2V

Believe it or not, sometimes Auto is the devil with VCCSA.  1.2v may be too much.  Too little and too much have the same impact in the area of the CPU's memory controller.  If you set a small amount of say .05v in the offset, believe it or not, you'll probably actually see it drop despite it saying that it's a positive offset.  Auto just runs crazy in this particular area.  I'm sure Asus had a reason, but no one I know understands it.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Believe it or not, sometimes Auto is the devil with VCCSA.  1.2v may be too much.  Too little and too much have the same impact in the area of the CPU's memory controller.  If you set a small amount of say .05v in the offset, believe it or not, you'll probably actually see it drop despite it saying that it's a positive offset.  Auto just runs crazy in this particular area.  I'm sure Asus had a reason, but no one I know understands it.

Wow well that's weird. But so far my realbench test is going okay *fingers crossed.* I'll let you know if it passes, and I'll then crank up the multiplier again and try 1.31 on the Vcore unless you think that's too much and I should just stick with VCCSA

@done12many2 It crashed at 12 minutes. So try increasing Vcore since lowering multiplier didn't help? Or should I try tweaking VCCSA? I have no experience with VCCSA whatsoever, so I'll need your opinion on how much to turn that up or down.

Just now, DrJones said:

Wow well that's weird. But so far my realbench test is going okay *fingers crossed.* I'll let you know if it passes, and I'll then crank up the multiplier again and try 1.31 on the Vcore unless you think that's too much and I should just stick with VCCSA

1.31v is perfectly fine.  You're on a custom loop so just watch your temps.  I push more voltage than that through my chip daily and a great deal more when I'm benchmarking.

Try different CPU Input voltages as well.  Clock speeds that work at 1.92v may not work at higher speeds.

1 minute ago, DrJones said:

@done12many2 It crashed at 12 minutes. So try increasing Vcore since lowering multiplier didn't help? Or should I try tweaking VCCSA? I have no experience with VCCSA whatsoever, so I'll need your opinion on how much to turn that up or down.

What clock speed are you at right now?  Are you still running one step down on the multiplier?

What clock speed are you at right now?  Are you still running one step down on the multiplier?

Yep, I'm at 34 so around 4.33Ghz

Okay, is XMP still on?

Yes, and system agent is 1.15~1.16

2 minutes ago, DrJones said:

Yes, and system agent is 1.15~1.16

Oh good.  It did drop.  Lucky guess.  

Tell me more about your memory.  I know you have 64GB of Corsair Dominator, but in what configuration did you purchase the sticks.  1 set of 4 x 16gb.  1 set of 8 x 8 gb.  2 sets of 2 x 16gb.  2 sets of 4 x 8gb?

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Oh good.  It did drop.  Lucky guess.  

Tell me more about your memory.  I know you have 64GB of Corsair Dominator, but in what configuration did you purchase the sticks.  1 set of 4 x 16gb.  1 set of 8 x 8 gb.  2 sets of 2 x 16gb.  2 sets of 4 x 8gb?

8x8gb lol, all out

I just find it odd, I can run 4.4Ghz at 1.3V with XMP off

But can't run 4.33Ghz at 1.3V with XMP on

I don't know if Vcore will change anything, because it seems more like a RAM/XMP issue. That's why I'm lost

Just now, DrJones said:

8x8gb lol, all out

Just to clarify, they were all in one individual set of 8 x 8 GB and not 2 sets of 4 x 8gb that you combined? 

Either way is doable, but the latter may take some extra work. 

Just now, done12many2 said:

Just to clarify, they were all in one individual set of 8 x 8 GB and not 2 sets of 4 x 8gb that you combined? 

Either way is doable, but the latter may take some extra work. 

One set of 8x8gb

Just now, DrJones said:

One set of 8x8gb

Okay.  Did you pass with confidence on the 4.4+ OC without XMP? 

Okay.  Did you pass with confidence on the 4.4+ OC without XMP? 

Oh yeah, 3 tests in a row, no problems.

Just now, DrJones said:

Oh yeah, 3 tests in a row, no problems.

Okay, well turn off XMP and set your 4.4+ OC again.  If we're going to do some work, might as well work on the higher OC if you agree. 

Okay, well turn off XMP and set your 4.4+ OC again.  If we're going to do some work, might as well work on the higher OC if you agree. 

Sounds good to me, I'll set it back, and run a test.