If your pump goes.....

Is it bye bye pc?

Or would it live?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

It should throttle down/shut down when the temps go up too high.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

pc should shut down when it hits a certain temp to prevent real damage. if its not automatic every bios I have been in with at least decent boards can do this. You can also set an alert through free software for temps or notices. 

Depends on the pump, whether you have a AIO or a custom loop and so on...

So could you tell us some more about exactly what happened and what it happened to?

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Depends on the pump, whether you have a AIO or a custom loop and so on...

So could you tell us some more about exactly what happened and what it happened to?

No my computers fine lol, im planning on custom watercooling in the next 3 months so finding out what could potentially be the risks etc

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

No my computers fine lol, im planning on custom watercooling in the next 3 months so finding out what could potentially be the risks etc

Don't worry about your pump, if you get a good one it will outlast your system. D5 type pumps have a mean time before failure of 5 years.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

For pump safety in a fail situation:

Connect the RPM wire to the CPU fan header.

Set BIOS to shut down in advent of CPU fan fail.

If the header reads zero RPM from the pump,the PC will shut down.

Simple,free and fool proof.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

For pump safety in a fail situation:

Connect the RPM wire to the CPU fan header.

Set BIOS to shut down in advent of CPU fan fail.

If the header reads zero RPM from the pump,the PC will shut down.

Simple,free and fool proof.

Very good advice right here

The first thing you would notice without an RPM wire attached is the CPU throttling/shutting down due to heat. At that point your reflex should be to touch your resevoir to see how hot it is and then your CPU block. If your tubing is soft due to heat you should not try to restart your PC until it has cooled down. Tubing can melt/kink when it gets hot. Then you should try to "bleed and test" your loop from scratch.

With a CPU RPM wire attached the computer would just shut off and when you next booted, the computer would tell you "CPU Fan Error. Press # to continue."

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

It wont melt,160c is the melting point of PVC tube.

Also,if the pump isnt working the res wont be hot,water isnt moving to get back to the res to make it hot.

The Fan error is a great failsafe,i do it single pump rigs all the time.

Its also worth checking the BIOS for a CPU temp threshold alarm,I had one on a few ASUS boards,dont know how widespread they are so its worth looking.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

You can also set an alert through free software for temps or notices.

This ^

I use Coretemp to monitor my temps on my desktop, htpc, and server and I have them all set to shutdown automatically if Coretemp sees the temperature getting above a certain degree (set by me). Also Coretemp is a great little program, I have the Coretemp app for Android and can see my temps on any computer at any time.

Desktop - 3930k | Rampage IV Extreme | 64gb Vengeance RAM | 256gb 840 Pro | 2x MSI 7870 | Corsair 900D | Creative SB Z | Sennheiser HD280 | Logitech G710+ | Razer Mamba | My salary's worth of water cooling.

Server/NAS - i5-4570 | Gigabyte Z97 Ud5h | 32gb Crucial 1600mhz | 500gb Samsung 850 evo | 4x 4tb WD Reds | Corsair H80 | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows 7 Pro |