Need help picking out new headset please!

PrAwKsee

I currently use Sennheiser PC 350s and are great except for a few issues. The first being that the cord is not very tangle proof and I often find myself unplugging it from my computer in order to untwist it. Another problem I have with the PC 350s is that the ear cups are too large and there is a fair bit of sound leakage coming out the back of my ear lobe. Also another problem I'm having just recently is that its succumbing to the wear and tear and the leather wrapping around the ear cups is starting to rip apart. Other than that the sound quality is top notch and the mic is amazing. I am looking for a replacement for these and it won't be easy finding a suitable one.

I just got my Siberia Elite in the mail today from my pre-order and immediately my buddies told me the mic sucks. I played around with it for a bit and couldn't get it to sound good. The audio was okay but it wasn't nearly as good as what I was expecting from a "premium" $200 headset so I will be refunding those.

So after all that I have decided to come to this awesome community to help me find a new headset that is a worthy successor to the Sennheiser PC 350s that I currently own. 

Budget: Anything under $200 but under $250 only if it is extremely justified. The lower the price the better... I'm not rich and I would prefer price/performance rather than straight up performance

Usage: Mostly gaming and watching videos/movies/anime and listening to music. I am no audiophile by any means but I do appreciate good sound quality when I hear it.

I also don't know whether to go for an analog solution or a USB solution with 7.1 or something like that. Which is better? I will be using this on a Z87-Deluxe mITX motherboard from Asus so there will be no built in audio solution and my only pcie slot is being taken up by a graphics card. So with that said would I be better off using analog or USB?

Thanks in advance for the help guys and please when you suggest something to me don't just post a link and go like buy this. I would like to hear a mini-review of sorts or your reasoning as to why it would be a good replacement for my aging PC 350s

CPU: 4670k 4.2GHz @ 1.25v | MotherBoard: Asus Z87i-Deluxe m-ITX | Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz | GPU: Sapphire HD7970 GHz Vapor-x @1190Mhz/1625Mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (White) | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 240GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic 650W G Series 80+ Gold | Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23" | Heatsink: Corsair H100i with SP120 PWM Performance | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red), Corsair K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Corsair M95

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I have them, and I love them :D +1 for the G930s

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Don't waste money on a headset. Get a good pair of headphones and clip on mic or desktop mic.

+1

+2

Edit: After actually reading the OP....

I currently use Sennheiser PC 350s and are great except for a few issues. The first being that the cord is not very tangle proof and I often find myself unplugging it from my computer in order to untwist it. Another problem I have with the PC 350s is that the ear cups are too large and there is a fair bit of sound leakage coming out the back of my ear lobe. Also another problem I'm having just recently is that its succumbing to the wear and tear and the leather wrapping around the ear cups is starting to rip apart. Other than that the sound quality is top notch and the mic is amazing. I am looking for a replacement for these and it won't be easy finding a suitable one.

Thanks in advance for the help guys and please when you suggest something to me don't just post a link and go like buy this. I would like to hear a mini-review of sorts or your reasoning as to why it would be a good replacement for my aging PC 350s

You can replace the earpads with Sennheiser velour pads (98% sure you can), and that might even improve the fit for you. You can always DIY yourself a replacement cable if you wanted, and you could even make it detachable. This'd save you serious money which you could use on an external DAC if you think your motherboard is insufficient, and you'd be able to keep the headset you already know you love.

There's not much better as far as headsets go than Senn's PC3xx series because they use the same drivers as the HD5xx series.

+2

+1

Don't waste money on a headset. Get a good pair of headphones and clip on mic or desktop mic.

+3

Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-504631-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A (I prefer these)

With this:

http://www.modmic.com/products/modmic-3-0

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

the 558's are open and will leak more than his pc350's.

take a look at both shure reviews in my sig for closed headphones.

You'll need a mic with either of them.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

+4

dont forget FiiO E10, turn on that bass boost (if OP is need more bass quantity)

for headphone, I prefer ATH M50, Shure SRH 440, or Takstar Pro80 (in Indonesia, or Gemini DJ HSR-1000 in US?) (I will upgrade my headphone to one of them, maybe :D)

Thanks for all the replies guys. After reading all of your suggestions, I have decided to go with headphones with some sort of external mic. I'm looking at the M50s and really favoring them after doing some research and looking at some reviews. The only question I have now is about the mic. Is the ModMic 3.0 the best solution for portability + quality? I use a cherry red mechanical keyboard so when I type, i don't want my friends hearing it. Are there any other similar options out there at the similar price point? 

CPU: 4670k 4.2GHz @ 1.25v | MotherBoard: Asus Z87i-Deluxe m-ITX | Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz | GPU: Sapphire HD7970 GHz Vapor-x @1190Mhz/1625Mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (White) | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 240GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic 650W G Series 80+ Gold | Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23" | Heatsink: Corsair H100i with SP120 PWM Performance | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red), Corsair K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Corsair M95

Thanks for all the replies guys. After reading all of your suggestions, I have decided to go with headphones with some sort of external mic. I'm looking at the M50s and really favoring them after doing some research and looking at some reviews. The only question I have now is about the mic. Is the ModMic 3.0 the best solution for portability + quality? I use a cherry red mechanical keyboard so when I type, i don't want my friends hearing it. Are there any other similar options out there at the similar price point?

Yep modmic will be perfect, if you get headphones witha detachable cord you can use an in-line mic

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Yep modmic will be perfect, if you get headphones witha detachable cord you can use an in-line mic

Can you expand on that in-line mic thing?

essentially just a lapel mic stuck to the headphone cord instead of your shirt.

I know zalman and audio technica make cheap ones.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

essentially just a lapel mic stuck to the headphone cord instead of your shirt.

I know zalman and audio technica make cheap ones.

I think Mr. Pip was talking about, like, a V-Moda headphone with a BoomPro or similar.

I think Mr. Pip was talking about, like, a V-Moda headphone with a BoomPro or similar.

Are those type of inline mics good quality ?

Are those type of inline mics good quality ?

@Aphexx has been testing a BoomPro with a Monoprice headphone, maybe he'll show up and let you know.

@Aphexx has been testing a BoomPro with a Monoprice headphone, maybe he'll show up and let you know.

yeah still waiting for shipment it was supposed to be here october 11th.... amazon tracking still shows it as outbound from new jersey

yeah still waiting for shipment it was supposed to be here october 11th.... amazon tracking still shows it as outbound from new jersey

desk_flip_guy_in_hd_by_lemmino-d6021t4.p

I use an external mic / webcam thing (Logitech C910) and Sennheiser HD558's. I've been told the sound quality on the mic is very good and apparently it's stereo but it does quite clearly pickup my mechnical keyboard, sounding like thunder to my friends :P.
I wouldn't say it's worth spending £100+ on the C910 though, I got it on a black friday deal for £25 lol.  

I7 3770K | GTX 770 amp! | 12gb DDR3 @1600mhz | 250gb OCZ Vertex 450 & 2TB WD Black 

My question to the op is, do the headphones have to be closed? 
In the mean time, E10 and a Xonar what-ever soundcard to aid with mic quality regardless of the solution that you pick.