Thinking on replacing my current PC with a €1000+ build

So I'm currently doing a college degree in computer science/engineering and soon I'll be 100% involved with demanding software, partially because I'm obliged, and partly because it's my dream. 

Here I leave my current PC specs alongside the first draft of what I'm planning on building. 

2 things before anyone starts furiously typing with outrage and disbelief.

1.  I don't need a lot of space, I'm the type of guy that erases everything he hasn't used in the past month, doesn't have >1GB of music at any given point in time and doesn't have any movies saved, also plays 2 games, both under 20GBs. **With 120GB of SSD I have plenty for my SO and the main game I play.**
  2.  I know I'm probably barely meeting the power requirements in my current build, that's why I put a (?) in the new build PSU. i want to have some room for potential expansion (RGB lighting and watercooling) in the future (not included in the current budget).

Old New
CPU Intel i5 3330 Intel i5 6600k
MOBO ASRock Z77 Pro3 NOT DETERMINED
GPU GeForce GTX 760 GeForce GTX 1070
RAM 8GB DDR3 16GB DDR4
HD1 HDD 250GB SSD 120GB
HD2 HDD 500GB HDD 500GB
PSU Non-modular 500W Modular 700W(?)
CASE Aerocool Xpredator X1 NZXT S340

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

The "demanding software" I mentioned at the beginning is software such as:

• Video editors
  • Digital Audio Workstations
  • Programming Workspaces
  • Web Development Software
  • 3D Videogame Engines (mainly Unreal Engine)
  • 3D Modeling Softwares (such as ZBrush)

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)

For gaming (mostly Overwatch so, not too demanding in gaming terms), I just need my 144 fps at High/Ultra in a 1080p (maybe 1440p in the future) and I'm happy, though anything else is a plus.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

Around 1200€ but I can save some more if a suggestion catches my atenttion.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

I live in Spain. I mostly buy from a website called PCComponentes though Amazon and any other online shops are ok with me.

Provide any additional details you wish below.

• Color coordination is practically a must, but doesnt ahve to be perfect. Im totally fine with a Black/Blue + a bit of White or White/Blue + a bit of Black, so I'm really looking for a MB with either of these color schemes. If it isn't possible, I'm open to try other color schemes (I'm also a sucker for Black/Green, though Black/Red can work too but I feel like it's overused).
  • Fancy RAM (Plasma lighting, LED lighting) makes my pores tingle, I don't mind spending a bit more on it.
  • Modular PSU is needed to have a clean, less cluttered finish and to maybe order custom made connectors.
  • I'm planning on watercooling it (with a custom loop, not hard tubes cuz I'm a n00b, cooling GPU as well) so any ideas or pieces of advice are welcomed welcame? i swear i can't english sometimes
  • Case fans on the meantime will probably be needed so if you know cheap fans that have acceptable quality be sure to throw some names!
  • The list shown on top with the build components isn't, by any means, final. If you see something wrong with it, or a better combination/solution I'm looking forward to hearing about it!

Last but not least. Thank you so much for spending a couple of minutes reading and/or answering to this post, you are unsung heroes and I really, REALLY appreciate any tips you may post. I may put down here edits if a post gives me an idea that tickles my fancy.

EDIT1: The case order of "needyness" is as follows:

• Case. The 3.5mm audio output seems to have short attention spans and stops working when it feels like (probably the whole panel is a bit loose so it disconnects) forcing me to often refresh pages, restart applications and such. Looking to change it in the next week.
  • SSD. I want that fast boot NOW!
  • MB/CPU combo. The GTX 760 can still handle that CPU i think so GPU is not as urgent
  • GPU (and probably PSU). Cause I have to get da skrilla for the 1070.
  • RAM. That can wait for sickness purposes.

3 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Get a i7 6700k

What's your reasoning behind it? It's because of the software I'm going to use or is it because a 1070 might be too much for the i5?

EDIT: the post below me cleared it all. Thanks!

you will need a i7 6700k to handle all those rendering as well as z170 mobo as a combo. As for the power supply 650w is plenty enough for the workloads. 

Just now, eamonrocks said:

What's your reasoning behind it? It's because of the software I'm going to use or is it because a 1070 might be too much for the i5?

Because it will do much better in your needs with all that, + if your playing at 1080p a i5 6600k will bottleneck a GTX 1070

Maby a used 3770k if you can find one?

Then you dont need to buy a new mobo and you only need to get 8gb of ddr3 ;)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, avenue2day said:

you will need a i7 6700k to handle all those rendering as well as z170 mobo as a combo. As for the power supply 650w is plenty enough for the workloads. 

a 650W can be enough if I'm planning on watercooling it on the near future?

Also regarding the motherboard. I've been told (more like, I've read) that in a few months new MOBO technologies might come out such as "Hybrid Memory Cube", 3dxPoint which i think has to do with either RAM or SSDs and I even heard there might be a PCI express competitor (though this last one I find it super hard to believe...)

5 minutes ago, oskarha said:

Maby a used 3770k if you can find one?

Then you dont need to buy a new mobo and you only need to get 8gb of ddr3 ;)

Interesting take, but for this build I'm going all in with color schemes and stuff so I'm going to change almost everything either way!

3 minutes ago, eamonrocks said:

a 650W can be enough if I'm planning on watercooling it on the near future?

Also regarding the motherboard. I've been told (more like, I've read) that in a few months new MOBO technologies might come out such as "Hybrid Memory Cube", 3dxPoint which i think has to do with either RAM or SSDs and I even heard there might be a PCI express competitor (though this last one I find it super hard to believe...)

I think it will be enough even for water cooling.

regarding the new mobo, I'm not sure how it will effect performance as the technology is relatively new but I'm sure that they will charge a price premium for their initial release. 

If you could afford and willing to wait a few more months, then it is worth to wait.

13 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Because it will do much better in your needs with all that, + if your playing at 1080p a i5 6600k will bottleneck a GTX 1070

i5 6600k can never bottleneck a gtx 1070. (specially at 1080p)

Just now, Sahil10416 said:

Ummmm...its been proven OVER and OVER, at 1080p it bottlenecks more than 4k, because the higher the resolution is the more the gpu works and the less the cpu works @don_svetlio

As i said, OVER and OVER

2 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Ummmm...its been proven OVER and OVER, at 1080p it bottlenecks more than 4k, because the higher the resolution is the more the gpu works and the less the cpu works @don_svetlio

As i said, OVER and OVER

That's not how it works. The CPU still gets the same load, but the GPU is just under far more stress.

To OP: You might be better off with an i7-6700(K) and a good 550 watt unit like the EVGA G2 550 and the Corsair RM550x.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, Sahil10416 said:

The bottleneck is at its worst on 1080p and it is definetly there.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That's not how it works. The CPU still gets the same load, but the GPU is just under far more stress.

To OP: You might be better off with an i7-6700(K) and a good 550 watt unit like the EVGA G2 550 and the Corsair RM550x.

Yes it is, the higher the resolution is the more load the GPU gets and less load the CPU gets, that load that the CPU gets is far less than 1080p

2 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Yes it is, the higher the load is the more load the GPU gets and less load the CPU gets, that load that the CPU gets is far less than 1080p

Lemme put it like this.

The CPU is still going to need to do the same tasks regardless of the GPU's load. Once you do get into higher resolutions, then the CPU might become less of a bottleneck because the GPU is under a strenuous load, but it'll still need to do the same tasks at the same time running at 720p, 1360x768, 1680x1050, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p, whatever resolution the user chooses.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Lemme put it like this.

The CPU is still going to need to do the same tasks regardless of the GPU's load. Once you do get into higher resolutions, then the CPU might become less of a bottleneck because the GPU is under a strenuous load, but it'll still need to do the same tasks at the same time running at 720p, 1360x768, 1680x1050, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p, whatever resolution the user chooses.

I don't know why you even responded to me, did i say the CPU does nothing or did i say the CPU does less? he said a i5 6600k will not bottleneck a GTX 1070 and specially at 1080p, while he thinks the higher the res is the more the bottleneck is which is wrong

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Lemme put it like this.

Dan, i5s bottleneck GP104 at 1080p, it's quite bad.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, keNNySOC said:

I don't know why you even responded to me, did i say the CPU does nothing or did i say the CPU does less? he said a i5 6600k will not bottleneck a GTX 1070 and specially at 1080p, while he thinks the higher the res is the more the bottleneck is which is wrong

You did say the CPU does less.

9 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

because the higher the resolution is the more the gpu works and the less the cpu works @don_svetlio

You did say the CPU does less.

And whats wrong with that? it does less work at 4k than 1080p

43 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

And whats wrong with that? it does less work at 4k than 1080p

No it doesn't. When a game has to do a CPU-intensive task, it's gonna do it regardless of the GPU's abilities.

47 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

No it doesn't. When a game has to do a CPU-intensive task, it's gonna do it regardless of the GPU's abilities.

Your logic makes 0 sence

sigh

Resolution higher, more GPU load less CPU load, don't know what your complaining about xD

8 hours ago, PCNoobie said:

How do you think about this build?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7Vn2xY

Looks great! It's mostly what I'm gonna go with, since I've decided on going with the i7. Already bought the case and SSD though.

I've decided on a white-blue frosty kinda color scheme, so the MOBO you posted is between my choices (though the sabertooth z170 s makes me drool).The RAM will be white too, maybe even blue leds on top.The case in the end is an all white NZXT s340.

Thanks for the suggestion tho and I will keep that MOBO in mind when the time to choose one comes!