What can EA's Origin do better?

blackknight3519

Reply to this post with specific things that you think Origin needs to better compete with Steam and just generally suck less.  

I'll start off, the biggest problem I have with Origin is that Unlike Steam, storing games on a drive isn't as easy and clean cut.  With Steam, you can just store games to a drive, disconnect the drive if you want, and then add the drive back on later when you need to game.  With Origin though, sometimes it forgets that it installed the game to that  external drive and just doesn't want to use those files.  

What else could be improved?

3 words: Merge...with...Steam.

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

What can EA's Origin do better?

Die?

Origin or Uplay and such dont even count to lick Steam's feet...

Steam got soo much games and sales comparing to others that there isnt possible way...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I think EA should still put there games on steam, who knows how much lost revenue they have :P

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

I PREFER ORIGIN!

I don't have horrible downloads on Steam...

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Did they fix the EULA yet, because Origin can be as good as it want but if I can't buy game from EA I don't have a reason to even care.

I PREFER ORIGIN!

This is blasphamy...THIS IS MADNESS!!!

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

I'm just asking for specifics, we all know Origin sucks, but in what specific ways does it suck? xD

this is going to be the longest thread ever

Manners Maketh Man

First, I don't like the skin of Origin (these horrible white and orange colors), secondly, I don't know how it works to you guys, but here I need to type my mail and password every time I launch Origin, cause "remember me" checkbox doesn't work. Thirdly, I wanted to contact their service for that, but couldn't find it on their site. Doesn't they have online managers to talk to their clients? So, I wrote somewhere "Answer HQ" on their site, and it's still without any replies. And last, for gamer it's not comfortable to have 2 game clients (steam and origin). I think they shouldn't create Origin and it would be better if they could stay on Steam.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Have a better installer and file verifier because if you drag partial data while it is downloading in it just skips to the point and it doesn't seem to verify it. Sometimes the Origin installer glitches up and the game goes to a "Ready to Install" loop. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If only they had a bigger library the service isnt actually that bad, i find that steam is quite sluggish.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

My hierarchy of DD on PC for games

1. Steam
  2. Origin
  3. uPlay

uPlay sucks complete balls. The UI is clumsy along with the design of the store. I will give them credit considering that they have done something useful with achievements but otherwise it still has a lot to improve upon. Origin is about 70% of the way there imo. I've had no problems with it, then again I rarely use it and haven't bought a whole lot of games on there. Similar to uPlay, their UI needs a bit more work. They need to do more games sales too every now and then. It's unacceptable that a title in digital form costs as much as one physically available in stores or as much as a console game. Otherwise, Steam > all

For those saying that Ubi needs to kill uPlay and that EA needs to kill Origin, I disagree. Valve has done nothing to make me believe that they're evil or greedy but we benefit when there's more competition out there dying for our money. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

An actual customer support team. Theres no easy way to contact them and they have phone lines you are supposed to call them on. They dont even uderstand who their customers are.

I find their live chat quick and easy, not sure what you guys are doing. I use Steam and Origin all the time, no one is perfect :)

If they would accept any of my credit cards (which are accepted on the moon), if I didn't have to hover over a game to play it (that window always disappears for me), if the startup icon wouldn't randomly disappear from my desktop and require me to hunt in the program files for the exe because Origin won't show up in Windows Search, and if they gave me the option to have Mass Effect 3 on Steam so I can have the trilogy all in one place, I wouldn't complain about my computer dry heaving while Origin is installed.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I find their live chat quick and easy, not sure what you guys are doing. I use Steam and Origin all the time, no one is perfect :)

Yup I've used their support chat and had my problem resolved within 20 minutes. I didn't have to worry about trying to understand someone's accent, spell things out, etc. The conversation goes as fast as I can type and without a hitch.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

can you give me the link of their live chat? cause I can't find it on their site

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

they need to fix the remember me because i have to sign in everytime like someone else said also they should let u change your name completely not just for one game and never change it on that game again thats terrible and have more sales other than that i dont have a problem with it.

can you give me the link of their live chat? cause I can't find it on their site

https://help.ea.com

I think you either click the contact us button located on the right side or you select your game and and click on a question that best matches your problem and press "I still need help" on the right side. But it is currently in maintenance so that option isn't available.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This_is_sparta_Shoop_Da_Whoop.gif

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Reply to this post with specific things that you think Origin needs to better compete with Steam and just generally suck less.  

I'll start off, the biggest problem I have with Origin is that Unlike Steam, storing games on a drive isn't as easy and clean cut.  With Steam, you can just store games to a drive, disconnect the drive if you want, and then add the drive back on later when you need to game.  With Origin though, sometimes it forgets that it installed the game to that  external drive and just doesn't want to use those files.  

What else could be improved?

Have vital reset password functinnailities compatible with firefox, nuff said.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Origin is okay but I prefer to keep everything under one umbrella.

Changing emails perhaps would be nice.

CPU: 2500k 4.6 Ghz 1.38V   Cooler: CM Seidon 120M   Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V   Memory: Patriot 1600 Mhz (4x4Gb)   GPU: MSI Twin Frozer 3 7950 (1100/1500)  

Storage: Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb, Seagate 500Gb,  HGST 1Tb   PSU: OCZ 700W   Monitor: Dell ST2420L   Mouse: Razer Naga 2012   Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Ultimate (Mx Blues)