GPU overclocked or not

Hello everyone,

I'm buying a GTX 1070 but I want to know if the Asus strix is already factory Overclocked or do I have to overclock it myself, because I know nothing about overclocking and I think my motherboard doesn't support it so its really important to me that I buy it overclocked out of the box. if not can you recommend a GTX1070 that is already factory overclocked.

thank you guys

your motherboard will support it, every motherboard does. overclocking is always about the cpu on a motherboard, not the gpu. get the non OC one. overclock it yourself :)

the safer choice will be the oc edition ... but I really want to know more about overclocking

I have an i7-3770K can I overclock the GPU with that CPU ?

4 minutes ago, sultan97 said:

the safer choice will be the oc edition ... but I really want to know more about overclocking

of course you can, just search youtube for an overclocking guide, the software may be a little different depends on your mobo brand.

5 minutes ago, sultan97 said:

yes. . any cpu will allow overclocking, overclocking the gpu its only a matter of if the cpu is bottle necking the gpu but the 3770k wont

what's bottle necking ... I'm sorry its just that English isn't my 1st language :)

Here is and example of my GPU OC:

38194024a31a42fcb3cb7c74c81bfdba.png

this is the guide i used: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html

1 hour ago, sultan97 said:

what's bottle necking ... I'm sorry its just that English isn't my 1st language :)

its where a piece of hardware is not good enough to fufill a components needs

wow ... there is too many numbers in here .... this creeps me out :( 

how did you reach 3920 MHz !!!  mine is 3500 MHz

You don't need to get a factory overclock. Just download msi afterburner and move the clock speed slider up by little increments, running either futuremark/unigine heaven/ a gpu heavy game to check stability. The only way to brick your hardware these days is on purpose.

3 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

You don't need to get a factory overclock. Just download msi afterburner and move the clock speed slider up by little increments, running either futuremark/unigine heaven/ a gpu heavy game to check stability. The only way to brick your hardware these days is on purpose.

I just checked the prices of the OC and non OC editions ... the OC edition is cheaper ._.

but how about the CPU  can I overclock it too ?

Yes but that is the part that depends largely on your CPU/ motherboard. You have a k series cpu, so that peice will work. Just google the name of your motherboard and overclocking to see if it's possibly. Also know that overclocking cpus require a trip into your bios, and unlike afterburner and most of the gpu oc software there is no handholding so watch a few guides and make sure you understand what your doing first. Good Luck!!

Just now, EminentSun said:

Yes but that is the part that depends largely on your CPU/ motherboard. You have a k series cpu, so that price will work. Just google the name of your motherboard and overclocking to see if it's possibly. Also know that overclocking cpus require a trip into your bios, and unlike afterburner and most of the gpu oc software there is no handholding so watch a few guides and make sure you understand what your doing first. Good Luck!!

yeah ... I don't think it's worth the risk ... ill just leave it clocked at 3.5 GHz plus I know nothing about the bios ... I still haven't figure out how to update it, ill just leave it alone

Overclock inns the GPU is independent of the CPU. Using MSI Afterburner will help a lot. It's really simple and watching some basic tutorials online will help. I was pretty nervous about my first OCs, but I have a custom OC on my CPU that is much better than OC Genie gave me, and I OC'ed my GPU as well. It's an out baby steps. It's an out marathon, not a sprint. Take your time and do only what you're comfortable with

Don't feel bad. I've worked with people who didn't speak  English an outstanding an outstanding first language. English uses a lot of expressions and words out of strict syntax. In my work, we were talking about helicopters, but we call them "birds" for short. The guy we were talking to got so upset at the end, that he took his hat off, threw it on the ground, and yelled, "What do pigeons have to do with any of this!"

Look at the shape of a bottle. Huge budy, thin neck. The volume of liquid in the bottle cannot easily pass through the neck of a bottle as fast as it can go through a hole the size of the bottles body. In the GPU/CPU context, the CPU is the neck. It cannot pass information fast enough to the GPU for processing, so the GPU underperforms as it remains somewhat idle waiting for new information. CPU would be working at 100% capacity while the GPU works at 60% or less, for example.

yeah ... I don't think it's worth the risk ... ill just leave it clocked at 3.5 GHz plus I know nothing about the bios ... I still haven't figure out how to update it, ill just leave it alone

Take your time. No rush. Don't overclock until you're ready and comfortable. I blew 2 Motherboards trying to OC my old Phenom. I didn't realize it had to be a special MB to handle it. I've learned. But still took me a while of reading and watching videos until I understood the math behind the CPU frequency, as well as figuring out how to do voltage.

GPU is much easier, especially with Afterburner.

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Overclock inns the GPU is independent of the CPU. Using MSI Afterburner will help a lot. It's really simple and watching some basic tutorials online will help. I was pretty nervous about my first OCs, but I have a custom OC on my CPU that is much better than OC Genie gave me, and I OC'ed my GPU as well. It's an out baby steps. It's an out marathon, not a sprint. Take your time and do only what you're comfortable with

Don't feel bad. I've worked with people who didn't speak  English an outstanding an outstanding first language. English uses a lot of expressions and words out of strict syntax. In my work, we were talking about helicopters, but we call them "birds" for short. The guy we were talking to got so upset at the end, that he took his hat off, threw it on the ground, and yelled, "What do pigeons have to do with any of this!"

Look at the shape of a bottle. Huge budy, thin neck. The volume of liquid in the bottle cannot easily pass through the neck of a bottle as fast as it can go through a hole the size of the bottles body. In the GPU/CPU context, the CPU is the neck. It cannot pass information fast enough to the GPU for processing, so the GPU underperforms as it remains somewhat idle waiting for new information. CPU would be working at 100% capacity while the GPU works at 60% or less, for example.

I see, Okay lets say that I have a

GTX 1070, a motherboard I don't even know its name, i7-3770K, x1 8GB vengeance ddr3 ram, 1TB HDD, 750 power supply ... do I have a part that is slowing down the others ?

The slowest part of your machine is going to be the mechanical HDD. But that's by design, so not really a bottle neck since it's used for storage. Your RAM will be fine, but if you're going to be doing serious gaming, I'd recommend 16gb. 8 can get maxed out in some scenarios. Once that happena, your PC uses virtual memory, where it uses the HDD as RAM. This will severely hinder performance.

Your CPU will be fine for your GPU. I do not believe it will restrict any GPU performance. I looked at other forums, and I haven't seen anyone saying they've had issues with your exact CPU and same exact GPU.

I would recommend bumping up the RAM, that's it.

Also, what is your Monitor?

13 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

The slowest part of your machine is going to be the mechanical HDD. But that's by design, so not really a bottle neck since it's used for storage. Your RAM will be fine, but if you're going to be doing serious gaming, I'd recommend 16gb. 8 can get maxed out in some scenarios. Once that happena, your PC uses virtual memory, where it uses the HDD as RAM. This will severely hinder performance.

Your CPU will be fine for your GPU. I do not believe it will restrict any GPU performance. I looked at other forums, and I haven't seen anyone saying they've had issues with your exact CPU and same exact GPU.

I would recommend bumping up the RAM, that's it.

Also, what is your Monitor?

Ummmm ... it's Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 ... is the monitor important ??

so .... is it good enough or do I need those G-SYNC ones ?

22 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Wanted to make sure your going to get more bang for your buck. It wouldn't be nice to have a 1070, but output on VGA.

it does have an HDMI port but I don't have a cable, that's why I'm using the VGA port ...

Just now, sultan97 said:

it does have an HDMI port but I don't have a cable, that's why I'm using the VGA port ...

You don't need GSync. I would purchase HDMI. You'll have a much better experience. VGA won't carry the resolution, colors, or refresh rate your GPU will output. Get HDMI or DisplayPort if your monitor has that as well. VGA is analog where HDMI is analog all digital. You won't lose information in transition. You will be much happier, I promise.

9 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You don't need GSync. I would purchase HDMI. You'll have a much better experience. VGA won't carry the resolution, colors, or refresh rate your GPU will output. Get HDMI or DisplayPort if your monitor has that as well. VGA is analog where HDMI is analog all digital. You won't lose information in transition. You will be much happier, I promise.

I'll buy one like ... right now  Thanks ^^

I'll buy one like ... right now  Thanks ^^

You won't regret it. Let us know how your PC turns out!

Sure !

but one last thing ... how do I know if the port in my monitor is HDMI 1.4 or 2.0    or is the same cable compatible with both ?

2 hours ago, sultan97 said:

Sure !

but one last thing ... how do I know if the port in my monitor is HDMI 1.4 or 2.0    or is the same cable compatible with both ?

The cable will not matter. It's the way the interface exchanges data. Considering you're at 1080, it won't affect you much, aside from 2.0 has better color bandwidth. But you won't really notice it much. 2.0 is geared toward requirements for 4k resolution. Any HDMI cable will work. Don't buy into the gold plated premium cables. Gold versus any other metal cannot change the rules of physics when it comes to being able to "speed" up your signal. Gold tips lead to the same copper wires as all of the others.

Linus had a video on the different interfaces and also has another one on premium cables.