moving windows to another drive

spellmanuk

so im going to get and SSD for windows to run on and use my current 3tb hdd as extra storage would i in theory be able to make this easier by partitioning my current drive moving the stuff i want to keep over to there then wiping the c:/ drive then installing the new drive install windows and then remove the old partition off the dive? will this work sorry if i explained this badly 

I lurk a lot

Just install windows on ur ssd, boot using it, move ur data from the hard drive over to the ssd then wipe it 

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

Also, nice English from someone from the UK

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

no but im only getting a 256gb ssd so im not going to be remove 1.3 TB of data 

I lurk a lot

2 hours ago, peej said:

so im going to get and SSD for windows to run on and use my current 3tb hdd as extra storage would i in theory be able to make this easier by partitioning my current drive moving the stuff i want to keep over to there then wiping the c:/ drive then installing the new drive install windows and then remove the old partition off the dive? will this work sorry if i explained this badly 

Please reword.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 hour ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Please reword.

Okay so I'm going to buy a 256gb m.2 SSD call this drive A I currently have a 3tb drive call this drive B. 

So I was thinking is it possible to put a partition on drive B and move data over there that I want to keep then Format the original partition and delete it and install windows on drive A and plug drive B back in and use it as for mass storage. 

I lurk a lot

16 minutes ago, peej said:

Okay so I'm going to buy a 256gb m.2 SSD call this drive A I currently have a 3tb drive call this drive B. 

So I was thinking is it possible to put a partition on drive B and move data over there that I want to keep then Format the original partition and delete it and install windows on drive A and plug drive B back in and use it as for mass storage. 

Yes, you definitely could create all that extra work for yourself and make life more difficult that it needs to be.

Or... (from what I understand from your original post)

You could just perform a clean install of Windows on the new SSD, boot from it, and move data around as needed on your current 3TB drive.

Once you get Windows running on your SSD, you can simply delete the Windows partition on your HDD, or delete the Windows folder.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

21 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Yes, you definitely could create all that extra work for yourself and make life more difficult that it needs to be.

Or... (from what I understand from your original post)

You could just perform a clean install of Windows on the new SSD, boot from it, and move data around as needed on your current 3TB drive.

Once you get Windows running on your SSD, you can simply delete the Windows partition on your HDD, or delete the Windows folder.

I would create another partition on drive B (I'll call this Partition C) that is about 1.5TBs. Then copy everything over from the original Partition (partition D) into partition C. Pretending that partition C is your actual HDD (so set it up like you would a hard drive for mass storage). After everything from Partition D has been copied to C or A (your SSD), delete the Partition D and the remaining Windows Partitions. I cannot guarantee this will work properly but its worth a shot, and the chances really are in your favour. I don't know what could go wrong or cause some sort of failure, but I have never tried this procedure. 

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

2 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

I would create another partition on drive B (I'll call this Partition C) that is about 1.5TBs. Then copy everything over from the original Partition (partition D) into partition C. Pretending that partition C is your actual HDD (so set it up like you would a hard drive for mass storage). After everything from Partition D has been copied to C or A (your SSD), delete the Partition D and the remaining Windows Partitions. I cannot guarantee this will work properly but its worth a shot, and the chances really are in your favour. I don't know what could go wrong or cause some sort of failure, but I have never tried this procedure. 

hmm okay yeah that along the lines of what i was thinking but tbh thinking about it now while it will probably work its gunna take a lot of time and effort so i might just nuke everything and start over as i have a lot of random crap on this PC that I've accumulated over the last few years :P

I lurk a lot