How badly is my CPU bottlenecking my system for gaming?

GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming edition

CPU - i5 3570k (Overclocked to 4,5Ghz) 

RAM - 16gb (2x8) 1600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Mobo - Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 

OS - Win 10 Home 64x

Resolution -  2560x1440@144hz (With Gsync). 

I use this machine primarily (almost exclusively) for gaming. 

I've been delaying upgrading my CPU for a while, since it also means upgrading the motherboard, RAM and possibly OS as well, making it a very expensive upgrade for what seems to be very little gain. However, I've started to worry that the bottleneck in my system is beginning to get more and more extreme, and was wondering if people had any advice for me. Would I see any amount of performance increase from the huge cost of upgrading the CPU (plus RAM and Motherboard) or would I be better off to continue saving? The increase in performance for the 6600k (my planned upgrade) seems really negligible for the price, but there doesn't seem to be any better alternatives for gaming performance.

maybe you should wait for kabylake or zen to come out. are you expiriencing problems or low fps in games?

It shouldn't be bottlenecking in anything, really.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I wouldn't think that you would be bottlenecked by the 3570k. I'm bottlenecked by my 2500k but thats because i'm using a gtx 1080. :P

7 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

maybe you should wait for kabylake or zen to come out. are you expiriencing problems or low fps in games?

Not really, I get decent framerate in most situations, but with really high CPU usage in a lot of games. I figured it would be best to ask people who know better, since I want to plan accordingly. 

Honestly a lot of this worry comes from the fact that I bought this cpu nearly 4 years ago, and I'm really not sure how long I should be relying on an older CPU while still upgrading my gpu to the newest models. 

I would depend on your monitor. Assuming you're gaming at 60 fps then your CPU shouldn't be a problem (nor should your GPU really)

If you're considering upgrading off that platform, I would recommend waiting for Zen or Kaby Lake at least (should be out later this year and early next year, respectively) since your computer shouldn't be giving you enough issues now to force an immediate skylake upgrade.

CPU isnt really a bottleneck here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I would depend on your monitor. Assuming you're gaming at 60 fps then your CPU shouldn't be a problem (nor should your GPU really)

If you're considering upgrading off that platform, I would recommend waiting for Zen or Kaby Lake at least (should be out later this year and early next year, respectively) since your computer shouldn't be giving you enough issues now to force an immediate skylake upgrade.

Sorry I forgot to mention. Will add that to the OP now

I play with a 2560x1440@144hz monitor, but it has Gsync so it's pretty smooth even when dipping below 60 

6 minutes ago, mrkaru said:

Not really, I get decent framerate in most situations, but with really high CPU usage in a lot of games. I figured it would be best to ask people who know better, since I want to plan accordingly. 

Honestly a lot of this worry comes from the fact that I bought this cpu nearly 4 years ago, and I'm really not sure how long I should be relying on an older CPU while still upgrading my gpu to the newest models. 

Well even that 4 year old cpu is still as good as a modern skylake i5, high cpu usage means that your cpu is doing its job, if you see 100% usage constantly, then that may be an issue.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4 minutes ago, mrkaru said:

Sorry I forgot to mention. Will add that to the OP now

I play with a 2560x1440@144hz monitor, but it has Gsync so it's pretty smooth even when dipping below 60 

ah okay.... 144hz would definitely be a problem for both your CPU and GPU in some games (things like MOBA and low end shooters shouldn't have a problem. but higher AAA games will definitely not be 144HZ)

I would still recommend waiting it out for Zen or Kaby lake (especially kaby lake being early next year), but if you cannot wait that long then a 6700k would probably be the best investment for you as it should be able to hit that 144hz mark reasonably easy. But if you keep saving into the new year, you should be able to afford a brand new i7-7700k when it comes out which will (probably) be the best consumer CPU on the planet below X99 platforms.

Honestly, not very much. 

I mean, sure, you could use an upgrade, but that clock speed is slammin'. How many cores does it run?

"狼" or "Ōkami."

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.1ghz. RAM: 16gb HyperX Fury Black. GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC. MB: Asus Z170-AR. STORAGE: 1TB WD BLUE HDD/ 128gb Kingston SSD. COOLER: Corsair H100 V2.

56 minutes ago, thanjon said:

Honestly, not very much. 

I mean, sure, you could use an upgrade, but that clock speed is slammin'. How many cores does it run?

Just 4. I always wondered how much benefit for gaming I'd get with a 6 or even an 8 core, but the price jump after 4 is just insane. 

No major bottlenecks here, heck you could probably still get away with a 1080 with or without overclocks to your CPU. If I was in your shoes I'd sell the 980, grab a 1080 and call it a day. Or sell the 3570K, grab a used 3770K and 1070/1080. Up to you.

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

1 hour ago, mrkaru said:

Just 4. I always wondered how much benefit for gaming I'd get with a 6 or even an 8 core, but the price jump after 4 is just insane. 

None, for prettymuch almost every game, I have seen a few games use 12 to 16, but it was unintentional, and not efficient at all.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •