What CPU should I buy?

Hi, I'm a guy on the internet who's looking for a computer, I'm gonna build it myself and I'm planning on a midrange gaming PC. I'm deciding on a CPU right now. My first choice is a AMD 6300 3.0Ghz hex core or a INTEL 2400 2.5 Ghz quad core. The 2400 is cheaper but slower and the other way round. Cheers

Remember, just because something is "slower" doesn't actually mean it will perform less. The i5 actually has better single core performance compared to the AMD processor and will give you better IPC.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, TheCODclown25 said:

Coz I'll be pairing what ever I get with a RX480

If that, get a CPU in the i3-6300 -- i5-6600k range.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

If you have a budget and list of parts you already have or plan on getting post it here.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

If that, get a CPU in the i3-6300 -- i5-6600k range.

but if I were to get a 6300 would it bottle neck th RX480

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you have a budget and list of parts you already have or plan on getting post it here.

Nah, sorry. Doing it on eBay and I don't have a full list of parts yet, but I'm trying to reach a budget of $1100 AUD

Getting anything less than i5-2500K is waste of money...  480 is pretty good GPU and whats the point in buying that GPau if your CPU is going to be poop.

Investing money in 4+ years old hardware for the main parts is bad bad bad bad bad bad idea in the longrun. 

Get latest i3 from intel or wait for Zen because AMDs CPUs are ancient..... Zen comes out next year though. 

If u can try to get money for i5-6400 with rx480/1060 (depending on price, 1060 is better card).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

7 minutes ago, Thony said:

Getting anything less than i5-2500K is waste of money...  480 is pretty good GPU and whats the point in buying that GPau if your CPU is going to be poop.

Remember, im looking for a midrange CPU. I can still over clock 

4 minutes ago, Thony said:

^ This right here. I believe you don't "need" an i5, but it'd be extremely in your best interest to get one for the 480, so you'd have an overall good setup. Who buys AMD tho?

Also, he recommended the i5-2500k because the K means you can overclock it.

You should be able to overclock the latest i3 Skylakes, I believe Science Studio made a video on it..but still, wouldn't count on that. I think getting an i5 that's a K model is your best bet, TheCODclown25.

5 minutes ago, Xurah said:

You should be able to overclock the latest i3 Skylakes, I believe Science Studio made a video on it..but still, wouldn't count on that. I think getting an i5 that's a K model is your best bet, TheCODclown25.

Intel didn't like that people overclocked non-K processors, and released a BIOS update for Z170 mobos to stop that. So you'll need a mobo that BIOS hasn't been updated

Gaming PC: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 | GTX 1060 | B85 | 16GB | 240GB SSD | 1TB HDD |

HTPC/NAS: AMD Phenom X2 550 BE | Radeon 5450LP | AMD785/SB710 | 4GB | 120GB SSD | 2x 2TB HDD

Laptop no.1: Intel core i5 5200U | 8GB | 240GB SSD | 12,5"

Laptop no.2: Intel Core i3 2350 | Geforce 610m | 8GB | 128GB SSD | 17,3"

6 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Intel didn't like that people overclocked non-K processors, and released a BIOS update for Z170 mobos to stop that. So you'll need a mobo that BIOS hasn't been updated

Wow... They are jerks, so that means if I get the 6300, and I water cool it I could over lock it to be twice as fast.

6 minutes ago, TheCODclown25 said:

Wow... They are jerks, so that means if I get the 6300, and I water cool it I could over lock it to be twice as fast.

I can't even..

I don't see anyone suggest you to get that 6300 and yet you insist on pushing for the 6300...

Just why?

8 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

pretty sure there is a way to roll back the firmware to before that but i wouldnt want to try it myself would rather buy a z97 or x99 chipset 

I lurk a lot

7 minutes ago, Ichi said:

I can't even..

I don't see anyone suggest you to get that 6300 and yet you insist on pushing for the 6300...

Just why?

I don't know, it just sounds better, it has 2 more cores and its Ghz is higher. It's wierd.

Just now, TheCODclown25 said:

I don't know, it just sounds better, it has 2 more cores and its Ghz is higher. It's wierd.

That's not how you compare something from different architecture..

It's complicated yet simple.

Just go and find benchmarks and you'll see that FX 6300 can't do much nowadays...

And it's "weird" not "wierd"...

2 hours ago, TheCODclown25 said:

Remember, im looking for a midrange CPU. I can still over clock 

i5 is midrange and K chips are for overclocking. U are not guaranteed to OC non K chip. 6300 is weak triple core with "hyperthreading".

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

8 hours ago, TheCODclown25 said:

Who said? I have a 6300 (paired with a 1060 which is better than your 480) and it has the same FPS as a 6600 non-overclocked. You'll be fine.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

The best is 6900k + Titan X Pascal BUT too much expensive, 

My PC here sits with a 6700k Inside and a GTX 1080

Priced at ~3000 USD Too much Expensive also

So maybe rather go with the 5960x + GTX 760 

or if you are really in a tight budget go with the i7 960 + GTX 550ti (My old setup before)

This maybe a good deal for a builder like you :)

The FX-6300 is crap, the i5-2400 is much better. But are you buying used? Because you may find that cpu for cheap, but the motherboards it can go in can get pretty expensive. You might be better off getting an i5-6500 with an H110 board.

10 hours ago, TheCODclown25 said:

It's not better, especially not for gaming. Think of the power of a cpu in terms of the instructions per second it can do. IPC is instructions per clock cycle and CLOCKSPEED is clock cycles per second; for example, CLOCKSPEED = 3.5 GHz means 3.5 billion clock cycles per second. Then we find

INSTRUCTIONS EXECUTED PER SECOND = IPC * CLOCKSPEED

Since Intel's i5 chips have significantly higher IPC than AMD's FX chips, they can do significantly more instructions per second on each core, and are thus faster on each core. Since games are optimized for quadcore cpus, those two extra cores on the FX-6300 don't help close that deficit with the i5 at all. It doesn't even close the deficit with the i3 a lot of the time, and an i3 is just a dual core with hyperthreading to act like a quadcore. But the extra cores on the FX-6300 are enough to murder say a Pentium G-series chip in gaming because it only has two cores with no hyperthreading even though it would have the same IPC as the i5 or i7 from the same generation.

Don't buy an AMD processor just because you can overclock it. They only unlock their processors because they are strongly inferior to Intel chips and have been to such an extreme level since 2011 when Intel released Sandy Bridge (eg the i3-2000, i5-2000, i7-2000 series). Intel was still ahead of AMD from 2006-2010 but 2011-2016 Intel has just dominated AMD. Hopefully that changes with Zen in early 2017, because I used AMD cpus from the late 90s until a couple of years ago and I love the company. But back in say 2001 when AMD cpus were much much better than Intel cpus (and not just for the price, I mean on flat out gaming performance) AMD made their chips non-overclockable. Having all their chips unlocked is just a gimmick they use to paper over the deficiencies in their current chips to uninformed buyers who think overclocking makes a lot more difference in performance than it really does. As of today AMD cpus don't make sense for gaming unless you're on an extreme budget or only play really light games like CS:GO, LOL, and so on that will run well on any reasonable computer. But I have high hopes for their Zen processors coming out in early 2017. They sound like they'll be around the performance of Intel i5-4000 series processors, which would make AMD cpus once again very competitive for use in gaming PCs.

11 hours ago, TheCODclown25 said:

Not in the slightest. I doubt even an i5-2400 would bottleneck a 480. It's not a beastmode GPU. If you can get your hands on a Skylake i3-6100, you've got more than enough power to keep the 480 from being held back.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.