Case Fan Confusion

NathanahtaN

ok so i am on a wiki page about case fans in an attempt to understand them more but the wiki page (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan) is confusing me, can SOMEBODY please help me understand what the page is saying

also what are the best (all Red LED or UV Red) 120mm, 140mm and 200mm fans and a simple explanation as to why they are the best.

After posting this i intend to continue reading in the hopes i can extract SOMETHING usefull

If i told you my rig, it would be this, my dream rig makes supercomputers look weak and in serious need of upgrading

What is the purpose of this post?

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

1 minute ago, SaladFingers said:

What is the purpose of this post?

To be direct to teach me about case fans in a way that doesnt confuse me like the wiki page did plus unlike cpus where i only look at ghz and cores and nothing else, i dont know what figures to look at on a case fan so someone should be able to point me in the right direction when it comes to case fans

If i told you my rig, it would be this, my dream rig makes supercomputers look weak and in serious need of upgrading

Was it so hard to explain yourself in the OP? Haha...

For case fans you should mostly look into high air flow figures. Static pressure isn't that important, unless we are talking about specific duty fans like side fans that point on the GPU. Don't worry about high rpm either, the point is to keep good airflow going but not getting too much noise. Running them too high won't yield any substantial benefits either.  So it's best to focus on silent, air-flow optimized fans for your computer case.

On a side note, there's much more on a CPU than just clock speeds and cores. For example their generation and architecture.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

5 hours ago, NathanahtaN said:

To be direct to teach me about case fans in a way that doesnt confuse me like the wiki page did plus unlike cpus where i only look at ghz and cores and nothing else, i dont know what figures to look at on a case fan so someone should be able to point me in the right direction when it comes to case fans

It helps to put your thoughts into questions if you want answers.

What do you mean by 'all red led'? --as in the fan frame itself is also red or did you just mean red led fans in general?

If you would like some fan recommendations, tell us where you plan to use the fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It helps to put your thoughts into questions if you want answers.

i admit i didnt think about that

What do you mean by 'all red led'? --as in the fan frame itself is also red or did you just mean red led fans in general?

either can be a red fan with red led or a different coloured fan with red led, i plant to get a red case so preferably i would love to keep to the colour of the case

If you would like some fan recommendations, tell us where you plan to use the fans. 

my  ase has enough space for 2 200mm fans, 2 120mm fans and 3 140mm fans and i intend to put fans everywhere in my case(not the side pannels obviously, oh and the case for my next pc will be a NZXT Phantom 530(Red))

2 minutes ago, NathanahtaN said:

i admit i didnt think about that

either can be a red fan with red led or a different coloured fan with red led, i plant to get a red case so preferably i would love to keep to the colour of the case

my  ase has enough space for 2 200mm fans, 2 120mm fans and 3 140mm fans and i intend to put fans everywhere in my case(not the side pannels obviously, oh and the case for my next pc will be a NZXT Phantom 530(Red))

There aren't any great 200mm red led fans that come to mind and I'm not sure if there are any. The selection for 200mm's isn't as vast as it is for 120mm and 140mm's. You might as well get 140mm's instead if you want red led.

TrueQuiets and UFO's don't move a lot of air but are extremely quiet. 

Aerocool DS are pretty good and quiet but don't like being upside down. 

Pro Red Vortexes and T.B. Silences are smoother sounding than the DS but don't move as much air at the upper end. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

also still on case fans at the bare minimum how many case fans is sufficient enough and how many fans are TOO FAR

2 hours ago, NathanahtaN said:

also still on case fans at the bare minimum how many case fans is sufficient enough and how many fans are TOO FAR

Look at your temps. If they're too high, you can use some more cooling. If they're not, don't worry about it.

21 hours ago, NathanahtaN said:

Linking to page which 90% of this subforums users don't find confusing and asking to explain it is pretty hard. Also could you use default font color in OP? Atm its practically invisible on Night theme.

6 hours ago, NathanahtaN said:

Bare minimum would be single exhaust fan. Too many isn't something I can answer. My prefered amount is 3-5 depending on case, GPU and CPU cooler. More fans = more noise but also more fans = more performance until certain point where adding a fan doesn't make difference. Like Luke notices here:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv