Well MY Zotac GTX 970 is having the same issue my Zotac GTX 770 had ROTFL.

Zotac was great. They sent me a new GTX 970 after I sent them my GTX 770 but here is where it gets really bad.

This card not even a year later is showing the fan controller issues my GTX 770 showed. Fans are running at high speeds, but software doesn't know about it... like....  what?  AGAIN... 1 fan is slower and one is running what must be almost near max speed.

Unbelievable.

Defective PSU/Motherboard?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Nah... My 7850 was older than both and never had an issue. I also had a GTX 275 in it as well. If the mobo/PSU was defective I'd be seeing other issues. The GPU doesn't quite have the exact same issue as the GTX 770 had a fan completely stop and start over and over... I think this one is just going more slowly. In games the card shows as ramping up the fans... or in this case the slower fan is the fan that I think is the properly working fan unlike in the GTX 770. This card is just running one fan maxed out while the other runs at the software speed. I got the card around 11/6/2015. About a few weeks ago I heard some funny buzzing as well coming from the GPU but then it went away... but... it did have this behavior once... but then it went away for awhile. I think now it's just failed and this is what you get. The card still games fine so if the mobo/psu was faulty I'm sure I wouldn't be able to game at all.

4 hours ago, alphaproject said:

Nah... My 7850 was older than both and never had an issue. I also had a GTX 275 in it as well. If the mobo/PSU was defective I'd be seeing other issues. 

Just because the moba is defective today doesn't mean it was always defective.

I would try putting the card in another PCi-E slot.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

What I'm saying is that I put the 7850 back in after the GTX 770 failed and it worked fine.

Actually I think, now that I looked at it one of the fans is just bad so the other one is spinning fast because of some software safety thing.... not sure. I'll have to WD-40 the fan maybe.

Worst case scenario I have to buy a fan or maybe a completely different cooler if I can find one that fits.

Ok, I asked Zotac about the issue and they have agreed to send me 1 replacement fan. It's not under warranty but I get a free fan and hopefully the situation fixes itself. What I do know is that the card does not like to run properly with 1 fan.  Why? No idea.

I unplugged the bad fan to see what would happen.... one fan still runs balls out. No idea why.  Do you guys have a clue? Is it a safeguard on cards to do this?

If one fan breaks, the other runs at 100% at all times?