What kind of SSD to get for new setup

TubsAlwaysWins

What kind of storage setup should I get? Im getting a MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard with a 6800K.

So heres my question: 1 Samsung 950 Evo (Or whatever the thing is called) M.2 Drive (512Gb) (~$315)

Or 2 Samsung 500GB SSD's (Probably 850 Evos) in RAID 0

OR 4 Samsung 250GB SSD's (Also probably 850 Evos) in RAID 0

Going for speed and size here

RAID TIME: I know raid 0 isn't the most practical thing in existence. So, can I also get a 1Tb HDD (Or something slightly larger than all my SSD's) and set them up in a raid 1? (So I get RAID 0 from SSD's for speed and the redundancy of the HDD that is constantly backing up the SSD's once a week or something) ((Sorry if that makes no sense))

Breaking things 1 day at a time

IMO dont Raid unless you want to backup. Get an m.2 and a 2TB drive for data. I'm running a 256GB M.2 and a 2TB WD Black.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

Just now, Vigilante505 said:

IMO dont Raid unless you want to backup. Get an m.2 and a 2TB drive for data. I'm running a 256GB M.2 and a 2TB WD Black.

Goes down to the final question, Can I raid a raided setup? (So SSD's are in a raid 0 and the HDD views them all as 1 drive and does a RAID 1 on them)  (RAID 1=HDD+(RAID 0=SSDx2 or 4))

Got it. If you're really into having a redundant drive then yeah go for it. The speed part isnt an issue with SSDs any more. At least for an M.2 PCI-E.

The problem comes down to whether you want to risk losing data if one of those drives fails.

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

5 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

What kind of storage setup should I get? Im getting a MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard with a 6800K.

So heres my question: 1 Samsung 950 Evo (Or whatever the thing is called) M.2 Drive (512Gb) (~$315)

Or 2 Samsung 500GB SSD's (Probably 850 Evos) in RAID 0

OR 4 Samsung 250GB SSD's (Also probably 850 Evos) in RAID 0

Going for speed and size here

RAID TIME: I know raid 0 isn't the most practical thing in existence. So, can I also get a 1Tb HDD (Or something slightly larger than all my SSD's) and set them up in a raid 1? (So I get RAID 0 from SSD's for speed and the redundancy of the HDD that is constantly backing up the SSD's once a week or something) ((Sorry if that makes no sense))

don't do raid 0. its a bit faster sure, but it WILL fail
and you'll reck your ssd's faster that way.

if you got the $$$ get a m.2 / pcie drive.

if not, 1tb sata ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

What are you looking to accomplish?

So all my SSD's would be in a RAID 0

HDD views the SSD's as 1 drive and makes a backup of the RAID 0 in RAID 1

IDK if that makes sense to you but it makes sense to me

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

don't do raid 0. its a bit faster sure, but it WILL fail
and you'll reck your ssd's faster that way.

if you got the $$$ get a m.2 / pcie drive.

if not, 1tb sata ?

How much faster would i ruin my SSD's?

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

So all my SSD's would be in a RAID 0

HDD views the SSD's as 1 drive and makes a backup of the RAID 0 in RAID 1

IDK if that makes sense to you but it makes sense to me

Edited the post because I reread your OP.

Edited the post because I reread your OP.

Ok

4 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

Got it. If you're really into having a redundant drive then yeah go for it. The speed part isnt an issue with SSDs any more. At least for an M.2 PCI-E.

The problem comes down to whether you want to risk losing data if one of those drives fails.

Would I need a RAID card for that or would the motherboard be able to figure it out

11 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

How much faster would i ruin my SSD's?

its hard to tell mostly because that varies a lot with each ssd, but it does wear it quite faster, just like overvolting a cpu when overclocking.

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

its hard to tell mostly because that varies a lot with each ssd, but it does wear it quite faster, just like overvolting a cpu when overclocking.

How long do you think I could make it last?

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Why not Raid 5/ raid 6 your SSDs?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

long enough, but it will not warn you when it fails.

don'T forget, the raid itself can fail at any time. regardless on how healthy the drives are.

you will need a backup of the data on the raid.

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

Did some math. 2x500Gb would be about half the speed of 4x250Gb and 1 M.2 drive would be $75 cheaper and have about 400Mb/s faster reads and 500Mb/s slower wrights.

4x250Gb = ~2160Mb/s Read, ~2080Mb/s Write

1x M.2 Drive = ~250MB/s Read, ~1500Mb/s Write

And if I needed to I could get a M.2 Expansion card and RAID 0 them

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

long enough, but it will not warn you when it fails.

don'T forget, the raid itself can fail at any time. regardless on how healthy the drives are.

you will need a backup of the data on the raid.

Which is in my first post, can I RAID 1 my RAID 0 with a 1Tb HDD

Also raid is NOT a backup, eg "oh shit I've a virus/ransomware/malware" nothings worked /i need to format my disk...crap its all mirrored to my entire raid array, gotta format and loose everything'. Redundancy only saves you from drive failure, and is only a good as the controller your using, every drive you add doubles the chance of failure.

Go for a raid setup maybe even with redundancy if you want, but also get a separate backup drives which copies the stuff you need 1 maybe 2 times a week to say an external or nas. I've never had a problem with a broken raid array I couldn't just reimage from one of my backup drives

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Just now, it_dont_work said:

Also raid is NOT a backup, eg "oh shit I've a virus/ransomware/malware" nothings worked /i need to format my disk...crap its all mirrored to my entire raid array, gotta format and loose everything'. Redundancy only saves you from drive failure, and is only a good as the controller your using, every drive you add doubles the chance of failure.

Go for a raid setup maybe even with redundancy if you want, but also get a separate backup drives which copies the stuff you need 1 maybe 2 times a week to say an external or nas. I've never had a problem with a broken raid array I couldn't just reimage from one of my backup drives

Ok

5 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Did some math. 2x500Gb would be about half the speed of 4x250Gb and 1 M.2 drive would be $75 cheaper and have about 400Mb/s faster reads and 500Mb/s slower wrights.

4x250Gb = ~2160Mb/s Read, ~2080Mb/s Write

1x M.2 Drive = ~250MB/s Read, ~1500Mb/s Write

And if I needed to I could get a M.2 Expansion card and RAID 0 them

Yeah, the other thing you need to consider in your calculation is that RAID0 does not scale perfectly as you add more drives to it. You'd probably realistically get 1.3-1.5GB/s.

I would go for the M.2 drive, like the 950 Pro, faster and less headache of RAID, but it depends on your space needs.

You can't RAID1 a RAID0 array with a non RAID array as a backup. Not to mention, RAID goes as fast as the slowest drive, so if you put a SSD in a RAID with a hard drive, it would limit the SSD to the speed of the hard drive. Also, RAID limits the array to the smallest disk, so your multi TB hard drive would be the same size as the SSD.

As stated above, RAID is not a backup system. It is meant to keep your system running in case of a disk failure, not to back it up. For backup needs, I would use software to auto copy your files to the hard drive for you, such as Windows Backup. You can also clone the drive regularly if you want to.