CPU max temps

I have an old 2010 HP laptop That idles around 80 degrees celcius CPU temps.  I was originally going to upgrade her to an ssd to help with the speed problems shes been having, but in my opinion, i think its better to get a new one.

After running speedtest, and doing a few minor tests, it seems that the cpu runs around 80-100C, and from my knowledge, thats a bad thing.  Should i even bother to upgrade her to an SSD, or just advise her to get a new computer.  I know the SSD will fix the overall speed, but the computer is running extremely hot.  Will this laptop die within a year?  PS, i know getting something new will obviously be the better choice, but shes not keen on spending money on a new laptop.

Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6-3163cl  (i think)

CPU: Intel Core i5 460m

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5470

The first thing I would try is to clean it as best as possible - you would be suprised how much dust will be in there clogging everything up. Most cooling issues come down to this (in my experience).

my bad, i forgot to write that it is clean.  But the cpu still runs extremely hot. 

dont bother with an ssd, just get a whole new pc

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Yea the old pavilions are known to overheat, just poor thermals overall

New laptop/computer highly recommended

Photography / Finance / Gaming

You could try using a can of compressed air or a leaf blower to blow out the dust in the laptop's vents. That might help your issue.

Instead of dropping money on a new laptop i HIGHLY recommend looking at dellrefurbished.com or dellrefurbished.ca

they have awesome deals on refurbs on laptops that are built like tanks. and are also easy to upgrade and find parts for

i have personally bought several computers from there and they have been solid and come with win7 pro 64bit

Just now, mok said:

Yea the old pavilions are known to overheat, just poor thermals overall

New laptop/computer highly recommended

well, thats good to know.  Kinda sad really, laptop has some decent specs, but plagued with terrible thermals.

I would disassemble the laptop and clean inside the fan area (most dust is located there, before the heatsink fins), it easily block around 50% of airflow.

And use new thermal paste, since it is already quite old.

I still think i5-460M is still very capable machine, so I don't see the reason to change it.

7 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

The first thing I would try is to clean it as best as possible - you would be suprised how much dust will be in there clogging everything up. Most cooling issues come down to this (in my experience).

After cleaning if that didnt fix it remove the heatsink clean the termal paste with alcohol and coffe filters and apply new termal paste

2 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

I would disassemble the laptop and clean inside the fan area (most dust is located there, before the heatsink fins), it easily block around 50% of airflow.

I still think i5-460M is still very capable machine, so I don't see the reason to change it.

yea the specs are still decent
however the pavilions are HP's cheapest laptops, its really hard to disassemble these laptops
and even if you can take it apart its next to impossible to put it back together 

Just now, mok said:

however the pavilions are HP's cheapest laptops, its really hard to disassemble these laptops
and even if you can take it apart its next to impossible to put it back together 

If that is the case, then buying a new/refurbished laptop is probably a better idea. I don't really recommend to open your laptop if you don't have any experience or it is hard to tinker with just as mok says, unless you have the money to buy another laptop in case you broke this one.

I don't see it is worst than my cheap $150 Toshiba with i5-560M in case of user repair ability, although probably better laptop such as HP has much more components.

I had friend literary killed his laptop by left one screw in the components, shorting it out when turning on, and killed the motherboard, just to upgrade the RAM sticks (it is not easy as whole top cover need to be removed to access the slots). 

10 minutes ago, mok said:

ya, i just went and checked out how to disassemble this thing, and man, thats a huge pain.  Is there a guy at hp who specifically designs shit to be more difficult to be disassembled?  

Also, i cleaned out the fan and fins as much as possible with a toothpick and duster, and its actually pretty clean.  But i didn't bother doing the thermal paste cause i wanted to avoid the need to disassemble it.  Now i really dont want to.  

9 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

I had friend literary killed his laptop by left one screw in the components, shorting it out when turning on, and killed the motherboard, just to upgrade the RAM sticks (it is not easy as whole top cover need to be removed to access the slots). 

that sucks man, luckily i'm relatively experienced with this, just dont want to, haha.  Hdd swaps are easy, and general maintenance, but re doing thermal paste is a pain with these kinda laptops.  But your friend is pretty terrible... How do you manage to do that on a ram upgrade... =_=

26 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

definitely the best thing i could to do prolong the life of this laptop i guess.