ITX Gaming build - sweetspot price/performance i3 6100 / rx 480

I'm building this for someone else but I'm wondering if this build is balanced and compatible? It will mostly be used for playing action/fps triple A games. I had a 1060 in there previously which was about €20 cheaper but I like the gains the rx 480 is showing in dx12 and Vulkan.

Is it possible to overclock the 480 with this build? 

LFGX6Sj.png

All parts will be ordered from https://azerty.nl 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

1 minute ago, Maudima said:

I'm building this for someone else but I'm wondering if this build is balanced and compatible? It will mostly be used for playing action/fps triple A games. I had a 1060 in there previously which was about €20 cheaper but I like the gains the rx 480 is showing in dx12 and Vulkan.

Is it possible to overclock the 480 with this build? 

LFGX6Sj.png

All parts will be ordered from https://azerty.nl 

What's the PSU? Picture isn't working for me since on school wifi.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

What's the PSU? Picture isn't working for me since on school wifi.

Corsair CX450M

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Don't get a reference 480. The i3 will bottleneck it in CPU intensive games.

That actually isn't the reference one.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The motherboard is mATX. Won't fit in the case.

If the GTX 1060 6GB is cheaper, get that. DirectX12 and Vulkan adoption isn't going to be immediate so I'd rather get better performance now instead of maybe getting it later.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

If the GTX 1060 6GB is cheaper, get that. DirectX12 and Vulkan adoption isn't going to be immediate so I'd rather get better performance now instead of maybe getting it later.

It actually was a 3GB 1060, would that change your view? 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

Just now, Maudima said:

It actually was a 3GB 1060, would that change your view? 

Was it? In that case, keep the RX 480.

I don't recommend the 3GB model because a) it's a cut down chip of the 6GB model and thus has worse performance and b) 3GB of VRAM can be fairly restrictive at times.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Was it? In that case, keep the RX 480.

I don't recommend the 3GB model because a) it's a cut down chip of the 6GB model and thus has worse performance and b) 3GB of VRAM can be fairly restrictive at times.

My 7950 would be angry at you if it wasn't so true.

11 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Wow thanks! The site I made the list on doesn't have a compatibility filter. Do you have a suggestion for a mobo/ case combo that would fit the same budget? Doesn't even have to be itx but would be nice. Now I think about it, would the GPU even fit?

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

The RX 480 is a good choice, but the i3 will bottleneck it in CPU heavier games. I recommend an i5-6500 for that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 minutes ago, Maudima said:

Wow thanks! The site I made the list on doesn't have a compatibility filter. Do you have a suggestion for a mobo/ case combo that would fit the same budget? 

After some digging around (this website's sorting mechanics are rubbish and made this process a lot more harder than I expected), I found this ITX motherboard: https://azerty.nl/8-6462-910661/msi-h110i-pro-moederbord.html

If you can spare an extra €10, get it and everything should now be compatible.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

The RX 480 is a good choice, but the i3 will bottleneck it in CPU heavier games. I recommend an i5-6500 for that.

3 minutes ago, Kevinhkn said:

not sure about the i3, pretty sure you need a 4 core i5 or something like that, maybe i5 6500?

The reason I went for the i3 was budget and because no cpu heavy games are going to be played on this pc. I also checked out some benchmarks and as long as it can hit 60 it's good enough. The only way I could stretch the CPU up would be to get a lower tier GPU, I don't know if that would be worth it unless there are benchmarks that show another story!

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

Just now, Maudima said:

The reason I went for the i3 was budget and because no cpu heavy games are going to be played on this pc. I also checked out some benchmarks and as long as it can hit 60 it's good enough. The only way I could stretch the CPU up would be to get a lower tier GPU, I don't know if that would be worth it unless there are benchmarks that show another story!

No, this is not a good idea... Eh, this is weird. i3's stutter, that's another problem which doesn't show up in FPS benchmarks. Two hyperthreaded cores make the games stutter unlike four, full cores. You might get more average FPS than with an FX-6350, but it will stutter and the overall gaming impression will be worse because it would run smoother on another CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

21 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

After some digging around (this website's sorting mechanics are rubbish and made this process a lot more harder than I expected), I found this ITX motherboard: https://azerty.nl/8-6462-910661/msi-h110i-pro-moederbord.html

If you can spare an extra €10, get it and everything should now be compatible.

Thanks! Yeah the site is a bitch. 

15 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

No, this is not a good idea... Eh, this is weird. i3's stutter, that's another problem which doesn't show up in FPS benchmarks. Two hyperthreaded cores make the games stutter unlike four, full cores. You might get more average FPS than with an FX-6350, but it will stutter and the overall gaming impression will be worse because it would run smoother on another CPU.

Thanks for telling me this. I found this DigitalFoundry video which stresses the importance of faster Memory. I'd rather go that way to squeeze the most out of the i3 instead of downgrading the GPU. 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕